Dinner, Christmas Eve, 24th December

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm way off the mark. I thought pigs in a blanket were cabbage rolls, also known as golumpki to Polish people. I had no idea you guys were talking about that kind of food.

Sure, I'm open for a recipe, GG. I've got a pasta pot with a steamer basket. Not sure I'll find corn husks this time of year though.

One of my kids made PIB today. It's a favorite of SO's and SIL. I can eat them by the handful.

I'm way off the mark. I thought pigs in a blanket were cabbage rolls, also known as golumpki to Polish people. I had no idea you guys were talking about that kind of food.

Sure, I'm open for a recipe, GG. I've got a pasta pot with a steamer basket. Not sure I'll find corn husks this time of year though.

The corn husks you are looking for are dried and you can find them in the Mexican Food aisle in the grocery. :)

We went to a fave restaurant and had lionfish 2 ways: one coconut encrusted, the other sauteed in butter and garlic. Outstanding!

I didn't realize the lionfish was an offering on a menu. Interesting.
How big are they when harvested for cooking?

They're offered in Mexico and on certain Caribbean islands, maybe Florida too, Pac. It's an effort to get this vicious non-native predator off the delicate reef systems. You can eat them at any size, our filets were 6 to 8 inches, and absolutely delicious. They have to be prepared in a way to get rid of the poisonous spines.

They're offered in Mexico and on certain Caribbean islands, maybe Florida too, Pac. It's an effort to get this vicious non-native predator off the delicate reef systems. You can eat them at any size, our filets were 6 to 8 inches, and absolutely delicious. They have to be prepared in a way to get rid of the poisonous spines.

Interesting. Thanks.

Thanks! Another reason to head into the new Giant Eagle and pick up some stuff I can't get locally :)
I get cornhusks for tamales at Walmart when I'm in N. Minnesota. I can't find them here, but N. Minnesota is so well known for its Mexican cuisine...NOT.

Walmart! I forgot all about them. I'll have a look there, too, when I get ready to make them.

I use this one. It makes a lot but you can freeze them after wrapping, before steaming. For fillings, I've used leftover chopped chicken mixed with tomato salsa or pulled pork mixed with tomatillo salsa.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/marcela-valladolid/easy-corn-tamales-recipe/index.html

We have a fairly large Mexican population here, so there are a couple of grocery stores that carry Latin ingredients. I've seen corn husks in Wal-Mart, too, but not consistently.

Last edited:
Very interesting. When you have never even seen a tamale, the way they are made and the ingredients really threw me.
Thanks.

I'm not suggesting this is preferred but, in a pinch, you can wrap the tamal in foil or plastic wrap for steaming.

Very interesting. When you have never even seen a tamale, the way they are made and the ingredients really threw me.
Thanks.

I forgot there was a video on that page, so that's helpful :) She doesn't add a filling over the tamale itself in this recipe, but other recipes do call for that. You only need to put a couple tablespoons of filling on the tamale before wrapping them up.

Kayelle, you mentioned serving them with chile verde - is that inside the tamales as a filling or on the side to eat with them? Do you use a filling other than the tamale?

I used meatless chile verde or tomatillo salsa (pureed) as a topping sauce when I make chicken tamales, the filling is chicken, adobo sauce, green chilies and onions. For Shrek I add a chopped chipotle.

Pork tamales are chili powder spiced pulled pork with onions and 4 types of fresh chiles, I use a mild enchilada sauce on them as a topper.

I forgot there was a video on that page, so that's helpful :) She doesn't add a filling over the tamale itself in this recipe, but other recipes do call for that. You only need to put a couple tablespoons of filling on the tamale before wrapping them up.

Kayelle, you mentioned serving them with chile verde - is that inside the tamales as a filling or on the side to eat with them? Do you use a filling other than the tamale?

GG, I often make http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f21/my-shortcut-chili-verde-63601.html
to go along side our tamales. I like Pico de Gallo on the top of them in that case.

I made tamales just once and it was a very long story of a nightmare. Suffice it to say, I'll never do it again, and if I ever did, I would have help and not try and do it all in one day.

Last edited:
GG, I often make http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f21/my-shortcut-chili-verde-63601.html
to go along side our tamales. I like Pico de Gallo on the top of them in that case.

I made tamales just once and it was a very long story of a nightmare. Suffice it to say, I'll never do it again, and if I ever did, I would have help and not try and do it all in one day.
i made them once , all in one day. i did have help but it was just a grind. these i would buy in one of the two large mexican markets in my town.

Back
Top Bottom