"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 12-01-2012, 07:14 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

I have cheesy scalloped potatoes with ham and peas in the oven. We will have that with seasoned green beans and ice cream sandwiches for dessert.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:37 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I have cheesy scalloped potatoes with ham and peas in the oven. We will have that with seasoned green beans and ice cream sandwiches for dessert.
And the prep pic I forgot:
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20121201_193643.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	16462

Old 12-01-2012, 07:44 PM   #33
Cook

Place in this area called Mexican Inn. I tried but just couldn't do it. He ate while I squirmed in my seat wishing I was home. And now I am. So basically I didn't have dinner.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:47 PM   #34
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Sauteed red and green peppers, onions with Hot Italian sausage with enough marinara to coat for me. Shrek will be adding some form of pasta to put his on.
Sounds good!!! Maybe some Chianti with that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Shrimp Saganaki. Or at least that's the current plan.
Second request, what's in it?

Well I'm having duck. I'd rather have rack of lamb but the rack is frozen and the duck has sat in the fridge two days.

If anybody can give me recipe suggestions for the duck I'd like to hear them. I've started a topic, "ISO suggestions on how to cook my duck! (tonight)." I'm really proud of myself, there are no intended puns in that topic.

I've got to do a photo shoot between now and then so there's plenty of time for ideas.

Anyway I'll probably have brown rice with toasted almonds as a side dish. Not sure what vegetable to have, might not even have any in stock, but oh well they say too many vegetables are bad for you, right?
Old 12-01-2012, 08:32 PM   #35
Wine Guy

Quote:
Can you describe the shrimp saganaki? I love cheese saganaki. Sounds interesting.
Well... shrimp, tomatoes, feta cheese, fresh dill, and a healthy splash of ouzo. Ok. Two splashes. One for the cook.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:01 PM   #36
Traveling Welcome Wagon

No-shell taco salads with left-over roast beef for the meat.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:09 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Sounds lovely GG
Old 12-01-2012, 10:42 PM   #38
Sous Chef

Had a late lunch, Italian Sub at Jersey Mike's so probably Ham & Bean Soup & Salad
Old 12-01-2012, 11:13 PM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Your lunch sounds nice too Chef
Old 12-02-2012, 01:04 AM   #40
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Well... shrimp, tomatoes, feta cheese, fresh dill, and a healthy splash of ouzo. Ok. Two splashes. One for the cook.
What's that oozy stuff like? I've heard of it before and I've been meaning to try it. I did a little bit of homework for this post and discovered interesting reading at Wikipedia. (I'm often just floored at the excellence of articles on this free public resource. In fact I'm one of the editors! )

Wikipedia - Ouzo: (according to the article) Ouzo began as part of a pet project by a group of 14th century monks living in a monastery on Mount Athos. Modern distillation took off in the beginning of the 19th century following the Greek independence with production centered on the island of Lesbos, which claims to be the originator of the drink. In the early 20th century absinthe fell into disfavor (because there are claims that it eats your brains out) and ouzo took an increase in popularity since both drinks are based in anise, a taste similar to liquorice. (It's interesting that Thai basil has a taste overtone similar to liquorice. I wonder if there are any common chemicals between ouzo and Thai basil such as an essential oil or something.)

Wikipedia - Ouzo effect: (according...) happens when a strongly hydrophobic essential oil such as trans-anethole is dissolved in a water miscible solvent such as ethanol (our beloved alcohol) and the concentration is lowered by the addition of small amounts of water. This is the effect that occurs when absinthe is prepared with the liquor being poured into a glass and a special slotted spoon is placed over the glass with a sugar cube in it, and ice water poured over. The essential oil is dissolved in the alcohol-water beverage but when additional water is added the alcohol (solvent) concentration drops too low to allow the essential oil to remain in solution so it emulsifies out and the mixture turns cloudy. Thus the ouzo effect.

Wikipedia - Absinthe
: (ditto...) famous with a reputation of a "brain eater" because of it's reputation as a "dangerously addictive psycho-addictive drug." Although banned in many countries in the early 20th century there has been a debunking that the wormwood (active ingredient: thujone) which was accused of "eating our brains out." Yet by the late 20th century (1990s) it has become legal again in the US and many other countries. (BTW just an aside, it's interesting to explore the connection to well known absinthe aficionados such as Ernest Hemingway, Charles Baudelaire, Arthur Rimbaud, Henri de Tolouse-Lautrec, Vincent Van Gogh, and Oscar Wilde. (This is an amazing collection of authors and artists!) The article names more but I cited only those whose works I'm familiar with.

So tell us how you drink your ouzo Steve.

And I wonder if anybody else would like to try absinthe. I'm not totally sure it's good for you, but apparently it's legal in US and said to not be harmful, although I gather this would not be a good thing to drink a lot of (due to the thujone) but I think a time or two in moderation wouldn't hurt you.

Tags
dinner