"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 02-20-2015, 07:16 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Dinner - Friday, 20th Feb?

When I was freezer diving I discovered a pack of pork and chorizo sausages. I found a recipe for a sausage, beetroot and red cabbage casserole in "Olive" magazine so as I have a red cabbage and some beetroot lurking in the 'fridge I thought that would do for today and tomorrow and some to freeze for next week (there’s only me – altogether now “Awww!”).
Assembled ingredients - didn't have 100g of "qood quality black currant cordial" ( for which I read "Ribena") so I decided a spoonful of the blackcurrant conserve I had in the cupboard would do instead. Then I went to get the magazine, which has been by my chair in the sitting room since I bought it.........No it isn't and I can't find it anywhere. I can't remember throwing out any mags this week but I can't find it!
Luckily it was on-line. Wish I'd known about it before I chucked out the Quorn sausages - where they came from I have NO idea! This recipe might have redeemed the disgusting things and they wouldn’t have been wasted.

http://www.olivemagazine.com/recipes/sausage-beet-and-red-cabbage-hotpot/4230.html
A sample taken for checking seasoning tastes very good. If you are veggie/vegan/allergic to something it would be easy to substitute, I would think.

Old 02-20-2015, 07:50 AM   #2
Executive Chef

New recipe, coconut conch chowder. That is the plan, but we may make it for another night and have something else as today is the coldest we have had this winter in South Florida.

Old 02-20-2015, 08:41 AM   #3
Head Chef

Going to the store after I uncover my plants (freezing here this AM), where they have chicken thighs for $.99/lb. So it will be Chicken Thigh Something with an Indian flavor tonight. Good day to stay in and cook, and I actually have yogurt & fresh ginger to work with.
Old 02-20-2015, 12:24 PM   #4
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
Going to the store after I uncover my plants (freezing here this AM), where they have chicken thighs for $.99/lb. So it will be Chicken Thigh Something with an Indian flavor tonight. Good day to stay in and cook, and I actually have yogurt & fresh ginger to work with.
That's pretty much the same thing I'm doing as well. I thought I would try the recipe that Maryam (from Pakistan) posted a week or so ago for Black Pepper Chicken. I just finished making up the tikka masala spice blend.

Black Pepper (Kali Mirach) Chicken Karahi | Cook and Talk

The only substitution I plan to make is in place of the fresh lemon juice addition at the end. I have crystallized lemon I normally use instead. I like it in recipes because it has a nice pronounced lemon flavor that doesn't get as lost in the mix.
Old 02-20-2015, 02:29 PM   #5
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
I thought I would try the recipe that Maryam (from Pakistan) posted a week or so ago for Black Pepper Chicken...

Black Pepper (Kali Mirach) Chicken Karahi | Cook and Talk
I actually made this up over lunch, with the intention of letting it sit for a while so the flavors would improve. However, it tasted so good that I ended up having a little of it for lunch (and will probably also have it again for dinner).

Old 02-20-2015, 05:40 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Dinner - Friday, 20th Feb?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
New recipe, coconut conch chowder. That is the plan, but we may make it for another night and have something else as today is the coldest we have had this winter in South Florida.

We have friends "vacationing" in the Keys now. They brought their snorkeling equipment. I don't think they're going to be able to use it comfortably.

We have unbreaded pork tenderloins left over from lunch yesterday, as well as a few other things to use up in the fridge.

Nice looking chicken dish, Steve!
Old 02-20-2015, 05:50 PM   #7
Master Chef

Haddock baked on a bed of vegetables and a salad.

Preheat the oven to 400F. Chop a piece of onion, some red bell pepper, a couple of white button mushrooms, garlic and sweat them in a little olive oil. I added a peeled chopped tomato and several chopped stuffed green olives. Spread the vegetable mixture in the bottom of an oven proof dish and top with two small haddock filets. Top the fish with a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkle of bread crumbs. Then into the oven for 15 minutes.

This is a little different each time I make it. You can use any mild white fish fillets. Sometimes the tomatoes are canned or the olives are black. You can add zucchini, celery, green pepper, capers, red onion, snow peas, etc... I think the original recipe called for a little white wine, which I never seem to have on hand.

Easy peasy lemon squeezy!
Old 02-20-2015, 06:53 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Egg and lemon soup like my mother made and lamejun.
Old 02-20-2015, 07:01 PM   #9
Head Chef

Made some deluxe fishcakes! (Normally it's a smoked fish + white fish or salmon). Had some leftover turbot and monkfish so mixed this into some mash with seasonings. Shaped into cakes and chilled. Later pane'd them (flour, egg + crumb), shallow frying on low heat. Eaten with wilted spinach and tartare sauce.
Old 02-20-2015, 07:20 PM   #10
Head Chef

The coconut conch chowder is a hit! I may change up the cooking steps so that the conch is a bit more tender but it was really good.

Dawg, I don't think your friends are very happy with the temps here but we're supposed to be back up in the 80's in a couple of days.

Tags
dinner