Dinner Friday, 9-13-2019 ~ Do you have triskaidekaphobia?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
13 doesn't scare me. Neither does a full moon. While it looks full, the moon will not officially be full until shortly after midnight-thirty in the wee hours of Saturday morning.

Tonight's supper is determined by the fact that Himself is off to do his autumnal stargazey thing at Fort Hill Farm. He'll be coming back chilled to the bone with the current temp hanging around the low 50s. Beef barley soup is simmering on the stove right now, and smelling really really good.

What did you eat tonight?

Seafood gumbo. With okra, not file.

The okra looked so good at the grocery that I just had to do it. Cooked the roux to chocolate, Had andouille in the freezer. Jumbo shrimp and jumbo lump crab. Of course, the trinity. Herbs . Spices. Louisiana hot sauce. Served over white rice.

Somewhere I have a previous picture - I'll see if I can find it.

Edit to add picture.

Attachments

• gumbo 012.jpg
    gumbo 012.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
Cooked my 1st smoked brisket :)

Afterthoughts:
1. Awesome! So many flavors and textures it’s not even describable.
2. Room for improvement/question: the texture when I watch Aaron Franklin masterclass vid is hold up piece and it holds together but barely. Mine came out a little tougher than that. Nothing really bad but a bit tougher I believe.
3. How big should the red ring be around the edges?
4. Use serrated knife. Bread knife fine.
5. Cut while holding as much beef as possible so not to scrape bottom of brisket and rip skin.

Parchment paper and shoprite organic apple cider vinegar
Applewood chips on propane smoker (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Masterbuilt-Pro-Charcoal-and-Propane-Dual-Fuel-Smoker-20050412/202904343)
Warmed up smoker for 1 1/2hr ahead of time. Get up to temp and steady.
Rub: plain yellow mustard (light lather) for stickiness, equal parts coarse pepper (couldn’t find 16 mesh) and kosher salt

10:45am start Started 225
604e10cdf91394dc804e16ab236078bd.jpg

11:30am replaced chips and put temp up 10 degrees because temp went down after meat put in but back up to 225 shortly thereafter. 1 hour later went up as high as 250 so we cut back down to 235.
e7e6b36f346f8a1b7690a7e88339d0aa.jpg

3:30 wrapped. Temp 185 (we figured by getting past 160 it was past Stall)
8cb7f4149c59a0b9f1e7466b8981e7bb.jpg
208b3092a26f25041449c7b861aa5384.jpg

5:30pm temp 207 (211 in fat end). Taking off to rest.

6:20pm Cut (was a little high at 160 but couldn’t wait any more.)
a37ff0609b79e51d4229b4ac99258675.jpg
45faa3b7292dee5356424be4386b46cb.jpg
81e2df00d9c94603dd18fc894b315520.jpg
803a41697bf881c4bc8a683cd6e2eff6.jpg

I wasn't feeling very good, still don't, so we ordered out. I had a hamburger steak with mushroom and onion gravy and French fries. DH had a club roll with fries. I recently read that solanine, the alkaloid that causes most of the problems with nighshades, is destroyed or at least inactivated by deep frying. I don't know if it's true, but I'll find out if the fries make me hurt, of if those can go back into acceptable foods.

Oh my goodness, that looks good.

It was awesome! So worth the wait :)
It was all gone with 15min lol
No sauce or anything either. No need for it. Just eat it straight and so many juices, flavors, textures, etc. flavor changes with each chew. Different parts have different textures, etc.
just wow!

Great brisket pics, Gimme. Looks wonderful!

Taxy....sure hope you feel better very soon.

CG...no fear of 13 here either :LOL:...I love hearing about Himself's star gazing trips. And beef barley soup does sound so good. :yum:

edited...forgot to add...I had leftovers from yesterday. Short ribs, mashies and gravy, and steamed veggies.

Last edited:
I rescued a rack of baby backs from the freezer and cooked them in the oven. Baked beans and sauerkraut completed the meal.

I set up a ladder to walk under. I opened an umbrella inside the house. I found a black cat t cross paths with, and bought a cheap mirror to break.

Okay, I didn't do any of those things, but wouldn't be afraid too. :LOL:

Hot dogs with cheese and Hatch chili salsa for supper, with some nice strawberries for this late in the season -- red all the way through.

CD

We had spaghetti and meatballs along with garlic ciabatta rolls and thick tomato slices from daughters garden, topped with balsamic aioli..

Ross

Smallest Thighs I've ever seen !

Chicken & Mushrooms w/ Mashed Spuds & Gravy...Libby's Beets....

View attachment 36680

You always have the most awesome meals. Small they may be, but chicken thighs are one of my favorite things ever, especially when served with mashed potatoes. For Sunday dinner this week, I'm making chicken and noodles over mashed potatoes, which is one of my son's favorite comfort food meals. Some of the chicken is breast meat (left over from a deli rotisserie chicken, as I destroyed all the dark meat on that one) and some of it thigh meat, which I'm cooking up today. Best part of the chicken, in my opinion.

Do you have a recipe for that chicken & mash & gravy? Or do you just wing it? I'd love to know how you make that. It looks wonderful and something I'd like to make soon.

Back
Top Bottom