"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 07-23-2013, 10:02 PM   #51
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
It will be even better with fresh minced garlic and onion. I just use the powders because it's so quick - takes about two minutes to make it.
Excellent! Thanks TL.

And now, I do believe it is time for me to head to bed. Lots to do tomorrow including the dreaded "baking".

Goodnight all.

Katy x

Old 07-23-2013, 10:05 PM   #52
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatyCooks View Post
You have a list?
Well, uhh, sure
There was American bacon first, Canadian was second, British bacon is next... give me a country, continent or area with it's own bacon and I'll make it.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:20 PM   #53
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
When I use sour cream I always lick the spoon. Love sour cream.
I don't do much with yogurt unless I really want to follow a recipe. Pretty much the raisin bran story. Nobody told me you had to stir it before eating it. Although I did have orange yogurt ice cream the other day.
Same here. Sour cream is great straight, yogourt is kinda sour. I usually have yogourt in the house for cooking and baking and salad dressings. The only time I like yogourt straight is if I have been making it myself and it's several "generations" along. It gets much softer tasting, but it's still not as yummy as sour cream.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:44 PM   #54
Master Chef

Tonight I was "working/volunteering" as interpreter for a large worship/bible study service. I get nervous so didn't dinner and had a late lunch instead. Then when I got home, I ate ice cream. Now I'm ready for bed. Guess I'll have to cook tomorrow night though.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:46 PM   #55
Head Chef

I grabbed a smallish bag (10.5 oz) of kimchi on a whim from Trader Joe's over the weekend & it is surprisingly good! Tonight it was kimchi stir-fried rice topped with an over-easy egg.

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:23 PM   #56
Executive Chef

I made a grilled chicken and garlic linguine ( lots of garlic and butter, yum!) with fresh green beans on the side.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:52 PM   #57
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I was told that one should build a fire in the corn field, boil the water, and then bend the stalk over the water until the ear is in the water.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Then I wouldn't have to run!!!
My Mom said that's what Grandma always threatened to do...but she never did.

Back in "the day" (1920s) most families, even in the city, had a serious garden in the back yard. Grandma & Grandpa's house had a very deep yard, so there was a small grassy area for play and hanging clothes, then a huge garden, and then the chicken coop all the way at the back. I'm totally in awe of my Grandma and I never had the chance to meet her.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:56 PM   #58
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
Winged it with a sauce tonight. I had 4 button mushrooms left so I shaved them, threw in some garlic, green onion, loads of parsley. After searing the filets and putting them in the toaster oven with the spuds to finish, I threw everything in the pan, deglazed with a bit of Madeira wine and some beef stock, fresh ground black pepper and let this reduce to almost nada. Then, spooned the results on the steak... turned out pretty cool tasting, actually...
Your mushrooms were growing beards? Never had that happen to 'shrooms, but I've run across a few strawberries in my fridge over the years that looked a little like a member of ZZ Top.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:57 PM   #59
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
Tonight I was "working/volunteering" as interpreter for a large worship/bible study service. I get nervous so didn't dinner and had a late lunch instead. Then when I got home, I ate ice cream. Now I'm ready for bed. Guess I'll have to cook tomorrow night though.
There is nothing wrong with ice cream as a supper.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:09 AM   #60
Master Chef

Quote:
My gawd those lamb chops are gorgeous. I wish I liked lamb.
I'll second that. I don't like the smell or taste of lamb either, but those sure are pretty. Pretty enough to be pork.

Quote:
Some say burnt, others caramelized
In our house Himself knows it's too brown when I say we'll be "eating Cajun-style tonight".

I made powerplantop's No Mayo Potato Salad to go with the fish and veggies tonight. Very ! Also, didn't make a salad because I wanted to save room for one of the French Crumb Cake muffins I got...

Tags
dinner