"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 09-27-2016, 12:04 AM   #11
Master Chef

Mmm...beautiful looking dinners Steve and CG, and wonderful sounding dinners all around.

Thanks, CG....since I cook for one, when I buy a bunch of spinach it gets added to everything, from morning scrambled eggs, to omelets...soups and casseroles...tuna salad sandwiches....you name it.

Old 09-27-2016, 05:37 AM   #12
Sous Chef

My daughter got to deciced dinner, it became heinz baked beans, potatoes and meatballs for her and we adults had sausage.

Old 09-27-2016, 08:26 AM   #13
Head Chef

Came across a recipe for Slow cooker Jalapeno Popper Chicken Taquitos -

threw it all in the pot and like everything I do in the slow cooker started nibbling on it after about 3 hours...

2 chicken breasts, 4 thighs, frozen straight in, Creme Cheese, 4 jalapeno's chopped (deseeded) garlic salt cumin - shred meat when done.

turns out I didn't have any more tortillas in the freezer, so did up some mashed potatoes, grated on some monterey jack & mozzarella, yummy!!

Of course, now I have a heck of a lot of leftovers, might experiment and freeze a portion - just to see.

I do have a question thou - canned Chilies. I have a small can (127 mL) of Old El Paso chopped Green Chilies. Have no idea where I got it, must have bought it for a reason long lost. It shows a picture of a jalapeno on the front, but it doesn't say if it is hot/spicy or not. Would not canning jalapeno's render them mushy and bland? I often see recipes calling for a can of them but never know what to expect and so have never used them.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:48 AM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
...Would not canning jalapeno's render them mushy and bland? I often see recipes calling for a can of them but never know what to expect and so have never used them.
Mushy, yes; bland, not necessarily. I've seen the cans labeled mild, hot etc.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:59 AM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Mushy, yes; bland, not necessarily. I've seen the cans labeled mild, hot etc.
Ok, thanks
I'll have to check closer when I go shopping next. Most things available here for Mexican are Old El Paso brand, don't see a lot of other stuff. I'm just talking Big Box grocers. There obviously should be some in ethnic area small grocers I guess.
Old 09-27-2016, 02:05 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Came across a recipe for Slow cooker Jalapeno Popper Chicken Taquitos -

threw it all in the pot and like everything I do in the slow cooker started nibbling on it after about 3 hours...

2 chicken breasts, 4 thighs, frozen straight in, Creme Cheese, 4 jalapeno's chopped (deseeded) garlic salt cumin - shred meat when done.

turns out I didn't have any more tortillas in the freezer, so did up some mashed potatoes, grated on some monterey jack & mozzarella, yummy!!

Of course, now I have a heck of a lot of leftovers, might experiment and freeze a portion - just to see.

I do have a question thou - canned Chilies. I have a small can (127 mL) of Old El Paso chopped Green Chilies. Have no idea where I got it, must have bought it for a reason long lost. It shows a picture of a jalapeno on the front, but it doesn't say if it is hot/spicy or not. Would not canning jalapeno's render them mushy and bland? I often see recipes calling for a can of them but never know what to expect and so have never used them.
If the chilis were jalapenos, it should say so on the label. Most of the little cans I used to buy were Anaheims. I noticed the chopped ones were mushie, but the whole ones still had texture. I wish they still offered the jars of whole pickled jalapenos.
Old 09-27-2016, 03:44 PM   #17
Head Chef

it does not SAY jalapenos just Green Chili's but there is a Picture of a jalapeno on the can.
Old 09-27-2016, 05:17 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

I made a quick chicken, veggie, and rice casserole topped with cheese and ritz crackers! It turned out really good and crispy on top!
Old 09-27-2016, 06:47 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

I was in the mood for meatballs after our recent discussion. I asked DH what kind he wanted and he said - ta da! - Swedish! I like a lot of seasoning, so I used the recipe from Cooks Illustrated, which includes nutmeg, allspice and black pepper. We like them over egg noodles. Turned out really good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1475016408008.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	25459  
Old 09-27-2016, 10:54 PM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
.....I do have a question thou - canned Chilies. I have a small can (127 mL) of Old El Paso chopped Green Chilies. Have no idea where I got it, must have bought it for a reason long lost. It shows a picture of a jalapeno on the front, but it doesn't say if it is hot/spicy or not. Would not canning jalapeno's render them mushy and bland? I often see recipes calling for a can of them but never know what to expect and so have never used them.
I love them and always keep a few cans on hand. I usually buy the Ortega Fire Roasted, but not sure they have them up yonder in your area.

I wouldn't call them 'mushy', but since they're cooked and canned, they're definitely not crisp. They add a wonderful flavor to cheesy Southwestern style dishes.

Try making a quesadilla - spread some shredded sharp cheddar, pepper jack, or Monterey jack (or a combo of a couple or all ) on a flour tortilla. Sprinkle with the drained chiles, top with another flour tortilla, heat it in a med hot skillet until the tortilla gets crispy but not too browned....flip it over and toast the other side, slice into wedges and enjoy. I bet you'd like it.

Tags
dinner