Dinner, Sat. May 3rd

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dinner plans for Saturday, May 3/08

I'll be having a stuffed baked potato with ff cottage cheese, salsa, steamed onions and broccoli and a caesar salad with lots of iced tea mixed with raw sugar and ff milk.

What about you? What'll be on your dinner table tonight?
Happy Saturday to you all.

I'm hoping my baby back ribs will be thawed, plus I picked up a package of slaw at the store yesterday. I'm going to use one of the dressing recipes using vinegar in that pork roast thread.

Going out for lunch, probably wont be too hungry for dinner.
Salad or Popcorn?

Waiting for DH to come home from his rugby match to come barbeque some chicken wings. Feeling particularly lazy tonight so I might toss a couple of jacket potatoes in the fire and throw together a salad.

Go GreeK Saphellae, ya can't go wrong.

Ingredients:
1 lb hamburger or ground lamb ( lamb is much much better)
1 egg
1/2 cup bread crumbs ( I use garlic flavored)
1/4 cup parsely
1 small onion, greated or chopped
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Directions:
mix all ingredients together

shape in to balls

roll in flour

fry in good olive oil!!

eat

enjoy

ask for more
Greek Zucchini!!

zucchini
olive oil
green peppers
sliced black olives
onions
pasley, ground cumin, oregano, salt, pepper, dash sugar, garlic (amount up to you)
canned tomatoes or sauce and 1/3 cup water

Directions:
Saute onions, parsley,garlic in olive oil
add zucchini and green peppers,olives, and ground cumin, oregano, salt and pepper and sugar
stir for a few minutes and then add tomatoes and water if needed

cover and cook over low heat until soft

with a side of

Last edited:
It's DERBY DAY!!!!!!

I'm not such a huge fan of horse racing as I am a fan of any opportunity to overdress. So, while in my finest summer wear, complete with heels and large hat we'll be starting the evening by watching the Kentucky derby drinking mint juleps. Ah, the juleps......

First course is a salad with spicy sausage croquettes and bleu cheese vinaigrette.

Dinner is smothered pork chops with collard greens and mashed sweet potatoes.

Dessert is a butterscotch meringue pie.

I think I'll make a batch of corn bread, as well. Lou is out looking for julep cups (perish the thought, I don't have real julep cups:ohmy:) so I'm not sure which wine we'll be having for dinner. He's the resident wine picker.

.......and.......the horses are on the track......

would u please e-mail your recipe for shepards pie. my son had it in new orleans . and can't stop raving about it. found several on line but they don't sound like what he describes.

babe:mellow::mellow:

Can you descrieb it a little more babe. Shepherds Pie is one of those dishes that varies according to who is making it. The heart of the dish is minced lamb traditionally (ground meat), but I usually use minced beef. Again it depends but this can be leftovers with the Sunday roast - I use fresh meat.

Make a base mix with onions, garlic, mixed herbs and minced beef cooked together. The classic mix also includes chopped carrots. You can add anything else you want, I often add chopped peppers, sweetcorn, baked beans, tinned chopped tomatoes.
When this is all cooked together and seasoned, put into a oven proof dish and top with mashed potatoes. To make a little more interesting mix a teaspoon of dried mixed herbs and some grated cheddar cheese into the mash.
Use a fork to smooth the top of the mashed potato and bake in an oven (about gas 5/190C) until top is golden.

BTW with spicy beef hash with rice made by DW, I'm feeling under the weather.

Well the original plan was a roast with baby zucchini and sweet potatoes but I had lunch at a Mexican restaurant which leaves me not very hungry. My husband will have leftover sauce with pasta and I guess I may nibble on the leftover Chinese food. I did get fresh bread today and a lemon cake.

Vera,

Where do you come up with all these great recipes? Are they your own? I pale in comparison.

Last edited:
we just got home from a baby's first birthday party and we stopped at the neighbor's derby party. I think I'll make a baked ziti for dinner tonight. Its overcast and stormy here. All of the dinner ideas posted sound GOOD- yum.

I think the ribs are going to have to wait until tomorrow.
I waaay overate a 2:30 lunch of hot meatloaf sandwich and french fries topped with a mushroom and onion gravy. I don't think I'll be hungry enough to appreciate the ribs even 3 hours from now.

Fried chicken, cole slaw, potato salad, and I'll make myself a green salad. For dessert I tried another on those cookie-from-a-cakemix recipes. Duncan Hines Spice cake with Hershey's cinnamon chips. They SMELL wonderful. I'll let you all know how they taste!

We had spaghetti and salads. I did get creative and added sauteed peppers,onion and garlic to the usual sauce and boiled some eggs, diced some pickled beets and tomatoes and drained some chickpeas to add to the salad.

Fried chicken, cole slaw, potato salad, and I'll make myself a green salad. For dessert I tried another on those cookie-from-a-cakemix recipes. Duncan Hines Spice cake with Hershey's cinnamon chips. They SMELL wonderful. I'll let you all know how they taste!

man does that sound good. kudos on a new combo for cookies. i bet they do smell good. that is one will try. didn't see cinnamon chips but will look at another store.

babe:stuart::stuart: can anyone tell me what this smiliey means?

Back
Top Bottom