"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 11-25-2012, 04:36 PM   #51
Chef Extraordinaire

It all sounds wonderful Taxy, so pleased to hear you had a lovely meal and a lovely time

Old 11-25-2012, 04:36 PM   #52
Executive Chef

do i have to be danish to join your club, taxlady? what do i need to do to get an invite to that morten's goose dinner? sounds just awesome! i've been thinking about brown-skinned geese ever since you mentioned the goose dinner in a post some weeks ago....i'm pleased to hear how nice it all turned out and how much you enjoyed it, tax. :)

Old 11-25-2012, 05:37 PM   #53
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
do i have to be danish to join your club, taxlady? what do i need to do to get an invite to that morten's goose dinner? sounds just awesome! i've been thinking about brown-skinned geese ever since you mentioned the goose dinner in a post some weeks ago....i'm pleased to hear how nice it all turned out and how much you enjoyed it, tax. :)
You don't have to be Danish to join our club. You just have to have an interest in Denmark and/or Danish culture.

If you are ever going to be on Montreal on the second Wednesday of a month, let me know. I'll bring you to our monthly luncheon. No goose at the luncheons, but really yummy Danish open-faced sandwiches, real Danish pastry for dessert, and beer and akvavit with the meal.

The goose was good enough that Stirling enjoyed it and he doesn't like goose (he likes white meat in fowl).

BTW, that invitation goes for the rest of my DC family too.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:28 PM   #54
Executive Chef

Just curious Taxlady, how many members in your Danish club? I was thinking about your taking over the books and wondered why the previous bookkeeper had so much trouble, but maybe your club is large? Maybe you do a lot of fundraising? We have similar issues with our car club, the current caretaker of the "books"(I hesitate to call her a bookkeeper or the records she keeps "the books) does everything by hand on scraps /pieces of paper and notes in the cheque/check book . It's so frustrating.......

So glad you had a good time at your dinner!
Old 11-25-2012, 06:46 PM   #55
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
You don't have to be Danish to join our club. You just have to have an interest in Denmark and/or Danish culture.

If you are ever going to be on Montreal on the second Wednesday of a month, let me know. I'll bring you to our monthly luncheon. No goose at the luncheons, but really yummy Danish open-faced sandwiches, real Danish pastry for dessert, and beer and akvavit with the meal.

The goose was good enough that Stirling enjoyed it and he doesn't like goose (he likes white meat in fowl).

BTW, that invitation goes for the rest of my DC family too.
Hmmmmm...I might have to join just so I can go to the annual dinner! I've been to the Atwater Club--it is a nice venue and the service is top notch.

Vit--the luncheon is a lot of fun--I'm looking forward to December 12th and enjoying the open faced sandwiches, akvavit (although, I'll have to limit myself since I'll have to drive back to Ottawa). I had a great time the last time I made the trek to Montreal. I hope the weather cooperates on the 12th.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:18 PM   #56
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebunny View Post
Just curious Taxlady, how many members in your Danish club? I was thinking about your taking over the books and wondered why the previous bookkeeper had so much trouble, but maybe your club is large? Maybe you do a lot of fundraising? We have similar issues with our car club, the current caretaker of the "books"(I hesitate to call her a bookkeeper or the records she keeps "the books) does everything by hand on scraps /pieces of paper and notes in the cheque/check book . It's so frustrating.......

So glad you had a good time at your dinner!
There are about 80 members. We don't do any fund raising. We have monthly lunches, the annual Goose Dinner, and the occasional other party.

The previous treasurers weren't bookkeepers. The one just previous to me kept decent records, but it wasn't bookkeeping. He wanted to do it his way. I tried to show him how to do it in Excel, but he prefers Word. I am pretty sure he added up amounts by hand or with a calculator, rather than letting the computer do it.

I'm using QuickBooks®. It is more work to start with, but then it will be much easier and it does beautiful reports with a few clicks. I also know that if everything balanced, that my reports won't be missing stuff.

The treasurer previous to him, did her reports in a combination of cash based and accrual that makes no sense to accountants. I use accrual accounting, because I think one gets the best information that way.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:42 PM   #57
Executive Chef

So Taxlady, is it only dues you are accounting for? I just don't know why they would have so much trouble with a small amount of activity. You are right you will get some great reports from Quick Books or even just Quicken. I could not get our treasurer to even use Excel. I offered to set it all up for her, but the only thing she will do on a computer is play games and those she plays from. The disc. We have a fairly large budget with non-profit status as we give much of the proceeds of our large car show to charity. We need to keep good records to keep our Societies Act status. But getting this through the executives head is no easy task. I am not on the exec this year, so I just keep banging my head. ;).
The Danish Club is lucky to have you in their corner. :-)
Old 11-25-2012, 09:37 PM   #58
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebunny View Post
So Taxlady, is it only dues you are accounting for? I just don't know why they would have so much trouble with a small amount of activity. You are right you will get some great reports from Quick Books or even just Quicken. I could not get our treasurer to even use Excel. I offered to set it all up for her, but the only thing she will do on a computer is play games and those she plays from. The disc. We have a fairly large budget with non-profit status as we give much of the proceeds of our large car show to charity. We need to keep good records to keep our Societies Act status. But getting this through the executives head is no easy task. I am not on the exec this year, so I just keep banging my head. ;).
The Danish Club is lucky to have you in their corner. :-)
Mostly, it's collecting for, and paying for the lunches and other events. Well, the soccer doesn't cost anything. Because I have a bit of an accounting background, I don't much like using Quicken. It isn't double entry bookkeeping, so I don't really understand. I'm a QuickBooks® ProAdvisor, so they send me the latest version of QB before it's available to the public. (It's 'cause I'm a ProAdvisor that I have to put the ® whenever I write "QuickBooks", it's part of the agreement.)

Tags
dinner