Dinner Saturday, 8-31-2019 ~ A day of fasting on DC?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
Not in our house, it isn't. :LOL: :pig: So I figure I'll start the dinner thread even at this late hour.

We had leftovers. My plate had ribs, corn, sauteed squash, and little cubes of fried potatoes. Himself cleaned up the rest of the ribs, along with a big pile of corn nibs, and was beans.

What did you eat tonight?

Start at end and go backwards:

Pulled pork sandwich:

IMG_1899.jpgIMG_1898.jpg

Cooking up/prep:

IMG_1894.jpgIMG_1895.jpgIMG_1896.jpg

Made my own dry rub and bbq sauce:

View attachment 1IMG_1897.jpgIMG_1892.jpgIMG_1893.jpg

We had one of our favorites....oxtail soup.

Our local Kroger had a 2-pound package of oxtails for next to nothing and I was inspired to make soup. Never mind that our weather wasn't soup-like.

We ate like piggies and had homemade baguette with sweet butter as our accompaniment.

Oh, so good and, nicely, we have enough to enjoy tomorrow, along with planned raspberry-blueberry pie.

No fasting here, either. :LOL: I thawed a pork shoulder steak yesterday, and went back in time and made it like my mom used to. I don't often do this. Floured and seasoned, browned in the skillet, turned the heat down and added a can of cream of mushroom soup, chopped onions, and let it simmer. Tasty and fall apart tender. Steamed carrots and yukon gold potatoes for sides.

It all sounds good to me.

As I mentioned on another thread, (note for bbqcoder, who's doing up this dish of mine on Monday), I served my Cannelloni dish to guests tonite, and was pleasantly surprised that not only did they say they LOVED it, but asked for the recipe, and were pleased to be asked if they cared to take the leftovers home, and did so.

I made "bachelor surprise". It's mixed frozen veg, fried up with ground meat, pork in this case, and chopped onion. I sprinkle a bunch of sesame seeds on it while it's frying. I served it with brown rice.

Katie, how I wish I could find oxtails for even a reasonable price. They are sky high here and I love them!!

I found enough energy to serve a great meal tonight for the first time in a while with all that's going on around here. We shared a cowboy cut rib eye steak done rare in the sous vide, and finished on Wilma (the searing side burner of the grill) along with fresh corn cut off the cob and fried in butter with a touch of mayo at the end, and loaded green salads. A bottle of wine made us happy and ready to face another day of getting back in order tomorrow.

Last edited:
We had a big lunch with a friend of SO's. Crabbies for an app. garlic and anise peel and eat shrimp with cole slaw and rolls and fruit tart for dessert.

Dinner was less exciting. I had a braunschweiger sandwich.

Back
Top Bottom