"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 11-18-2010, 07:35 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Tired from shopping, I made a TBS on Rye. Tomato, Bacon, Swiss.

If I get hungry later, I'll have some of the chicken soup I made yesterday.

My fridge, cabinets, and freezer are bursting at the seams! I need to have a cooking day, but I've got to figure out what I can take out of the freezer that won't be bigger when the leftovers go back in! At least the loaf of honey wheat bread can come out now 'cause there's only the heel left of the rye.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:15 PM   #22
Master Chef

Nice burger & fries PPT!!

Dinner was Roasted Pork loin. Sides were brown rice medley (Rice medley is long grain brown rice, black barley & Daikon radish seeds. Rice medley and onion sautéed/toasted in butter, turkey broth added for the liquid), steamed & buttered cauliflower and pan gravy.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:26 PM   #23
Master Chef

I could always just dig right into those plates of yours Ms !!

Dinner was thrown together tonight and turned out so tasty!!
I had a lb of ground beef that needed cooking so I made big meatballs with it using chopped mushrooms, fine diced onion, some panko bread crumbs, chopped parsley, lots of parm cheese, a few shots of soy sauce, egg, & salt and pepper. I flattened them out some and browned on both sides, and removed to keep warm. Deglazed the pan with some Sherry, and added a can of Cream of mushroom soup (yes, I do use it sometimes). I added some milk till it looked right and returned the meat patties to the gravy, covered and simmered a few minutes. Served the patties and gravy on top of steamed rice, and steamed broccoli finished the meal. Dang, it was really good.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 10:36 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
SO is working late and I'm making myself s batch of GLOP for dinner.
what's GLOP?
Old 11-18-2010, 10:40 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post

I had a lb of ground beef that needed cooking so I made big meatballs with it using chopped mushrooms, fine diced onion, some panko bread crumbs, chopped parsley, lots of parm cheese, a few shots of soy sauce, egg, & salt and pepper. I flattened them out some and browned on both sides, and removed to keep warm. Deglazed the pan with some Sherry, and added a can of Cream of mushroom soup (yes, I do use it sometimes). I added some milk till it looked right and returned the meat patties to the gravy, covered and simmered a few minutes. Served the patties and gravy on top of steamed rice, and steamed broccoli finished the meal. Dang, it was really good.
It does sound good. I like sherry as a nice change. I wouldn't apologize for using canned soup. I keep a supply of mushroom, chicken and celery and use them often. They are great for extending a gravy, or as a base to melt cheese in for mac & cheese. Sometimes just for a gravy with some flour mixed in with some Gravy Master to change the flavor and add nice brown color. Mushroom for savory, chicken and celery to add a background to cheeses or binder (?) for a casserole where I want something bland to showcase the other flavors.

Thanks for bringing up the sherry, though. I'll keep it in mind as I plan dinners to make room in my overstuffed freezer. Maybe a hamburger casserole with sherry, cream of soup, cheeses and egg noodles with frozen broccoli cooked along with the noodles.

See you're inspiring me already. XOX Z.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 10:41 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

It was my DH, Stirling's birthday today. We went to The Old Dublin Pub with a friend. Stirling had a cheeseburger with bacon. I had a burger with mushrooms (and peeled off the orange cheese they didn't list on the menu, if it had said cheese I would have said "no orange cheese"). Both came with big fries. The burgers were huge and I actually got mine medium rare. We also had Alexander Keith's India Pale Ale on draught. All very yummy.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:07 PM   #27
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post

Thank you!! Your dinner sounds YUMMY!!
Old 11-18-2010, 11:08 PM   #28
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
what's GLOP?
GLOP is throw odds and ends in the fridge in a pan, cook up a starch (rice or pasta), possibly stir in a can of cream of...or tomato sauce if it's a bit dry and eat. No recipe, no consistent ingredients and it's usually touted as the best thing you ever fixed, do it again...
Old 11-18-2010, 11:27 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
GLOP is throw odds and ends in the fridge in a pan, cook up a starch (rice or pasta), possibly stir in a can of cream of...or tomato sauce if it's a bit dry and eat. No recipe, no consistent ingredients and it's usually touted as the best thing you ever fixed, do it again...
Ahhhh, we call that bachelor surprise.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:30 PM   #30
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
what's GLOP?
Glop:

Brown a pound of ground beef with onions, garlic and mushrooms. Stir in a can of diced potatoes, some frozen veggies and a can of cream of mushroom soup.

That's my version of glop. I learned it as a Boy Scout and it's a nostalgia meal for me.

SO won't touch it.