Dinner, Tuesday May 21, 2013

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaveSoMD

Master Chef
Moderator Emeritus
It is a toss-up here.

If I feel like cooking I have three-cheese tortellini that I will make with a garlic/ butter / olive oil sauce then sprinkled with fresh oregano from the garden.

If I don't feel like cooking then it will be leftover chicken tenders and buffalo wings and fries.

I love to have options! :wacko:

What is everyone else planning?

I MIGHT be going out for dinner tonight. Still not sure about that one though. I have some ground beef thawing. I think I'm going to make either little meatballs with gravy over egg noodles, or bacon cheeseburger meatloaf a la Ol Blue. Sides will include coleslaw and steamed broccoli, likely with cheese sauce for the kiddos.

Dessert is still iffy. I feel like baking but haven't come across what I want to bake yet. Lemon cake maybe? Or spice cake?

Andy, I'm cruising the site looking for a maple ice cream recipe. Have you posted yours? I've found UB's basic vanilla, and a nice one from kansasgirl. I'm not sure about the subbing of maple syrup for sugar. Thoughts? One to one?

Here you go, Alix. Just leave out the nuts.

Maple Walnut Ice Cream

[FONT=PC&#47749]¾[/FONT] C Maple Syrup
2 C Heavy Cream
1 C Whole Milk
¼ tsp Salt
2 Ea Eggs

[FONT=PC&#47749]¾ [/FONT]C Walnuts, chopped

Boil the syrup in a 2-quart saucepan over moderately high heat until reduced to [FONT=PC&#47749]⅔[/FONT] cup, 5 to 10 minutes. CAUTION! The syrup will boil over if not stirred frequently.

Combine the cream, milk, and salt and add it to the syrup. Bring the mixture to a simmer over moderate heat. The cooler dairy mixture will initially cause the syrup to clump. Keep stirring over heat for the mixture to combine. Allow the mixture to cool a little before the next step.

Whisk eggs in a large bowl, then temper the eggs by adding the hot cream in a slow stream, whisking constantly.

Return the tempered mixture to the saucepan and cook it over moderately low heat, stirring constantly, until slightly thickened and an instant-read thermometer registers 170°F, then cook it for 1 to 2 minutes (do not boil).

Pour the resulting custard through a sieve into a clean container and chill, covered, until the temperature drops to 32ºF - 35ºF.

Alternatively, pour the custard into a metal bowl. Fill a larger bowl with ice and water and float the smaller bowl in it while steadying it with one hand. Stir the custard constantly until the temperature of the mixture drops to the target range of 32ºF - 35ºF. Add more ice as needed.

Churn the mixture in an ice-cream maker until soft-frozen, then, with motor running, add the nuts. Continue churning ice cream until frozen, then transfer to an airtight container and put it into freezer to harden.

I think my big meal of the day is going to come shortly here, so "dinner" will be that large breakfast I've been putting off for a couple days.

I have some ground beef to cook up somehow. I may make my hamburger mac and cheese since the rest of the family is going to out and about this evening. It's easy to make and will keep fairly well for everyone to eat when they want. If I get ambitious I'll chop up the lettuce and make salads as well. Should have something green!

Breakfast for dinner.

Attachments

• breakfast for dinner2.jpg
    breakfast for dinner2.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 195
I'm going to recycle last nights pot roast, add some heavy cream or sour cream and serve it over egg noodles and call it stroganoff.

I'm getting a little tired of the corn chowder and have a lot of bacon left over from making the chowder. Then I temporarily got excited by Alix's Ol Blue reference of cheeseburger bacon meatloaf, until I realized I had no ground beef. So I am back to my original idea of BLT's.:yum:

...I think I'm going to make either little meatballs with gravy over egg noodles, or bacon cheeseburger meatloaf a la Ol Blue...

This is a GREAT meatloaf and a favorite of everyone I have made it for EXCEPT for SO. So I don't make it anymore.

DH is out of town for a couple of days, so it's just me. I'm thinking a pan-seared pork chop with bbq sauce, a baked potato and a green salad.

It is a toss-up here.

If I feel like cooking I have three-cheese tortellini that I will make with a garlic/ butter / olive oil sauce then sprinkled with fresh oregano from the garden.

If I don't feel like cooking then it will be leftover chicken tenders and buffalo wings and fries.

I love to have options! :wacko:

What is everyone else planning?

Going with the leftovers...heat n eat. Lol

It's raining here (not supposed to) and so I decided some comfort food was in order. Gluten free sausages (mild Italian), mashed potatoes and creamed corn. It was so good.

We will probably have the chicken I planned for today tomorrow.

DH is gone tonight, and I have some minimally freezer-burned partial bags of veggies, a bit of chopped ham, cheese, and a packet of Idahoan potatoes, so it will be Slop.

Last edited:
The mac and cheese was postponed when I came across a recipe for unstuffed cabbage rolls. Went with that instead. New recipe for me but it was so simple! And I like it. The yungun took a look and said "I'll grab something on the way to my friend's house." More for me! DH hasn't been home yet to see if he likes it or not. Hope to add this to the rotating hamburger recipes.

Fried Trout, Taters, veg, oyster shooters too.
39817-albums960-picture5523.jpg

Back
Top Bottom