"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 11-27-2013, 09:55 PM   #11
Sous Chef

Pan fried pork cutlets and pan fried potatoes. Mrs D has the flu so chicken soup for her.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:55 PM   #12
Sous Chef

We're having lau lau (pork and fish wrapped in luau leaf) and lomi lomi salmon on rice. Pre-made from Costco. I've been cooking all day for tomorrow's meal. No energy to cook for today.

Old 11-27-2013, 11:19 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Leftover pizza for us tonight. I find it reheats quite well on the pizza stone. Oatmeal cookies for dessert :)
Old 11-27-2013, 11:36 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Just how much of that port went into the relish?
The garage got cleaned but the cranberry sauce hasn't been made yet...unfortunately. Haven't opened the port yet but I am sipping on my tankard of Butternut Ale. Himself went to one of out local craft breweries and picked up a growler of their latest seasonal brew so we could take it to his sis's for dinner tomorrow. Sure hope there is enough left - this stuff is GOOD!
Old 11-27-2013, 11:43 PM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Oooh.... did you make this recipe by chance?

Spiced Cranberries in Port
No I didn't Steve, although that sounds really good. I have a recipe I cut out of an issue of Good Housekeeping a while back. Found the recipe on the GH site in case you're interested: Cranberry Sauce with Apples and Port - Good Housekeeping.

I've tweaked it a bit over the years. I use a scant 1/2 cup of sugar and it is half white/half dark brown sugar. Not as sweet but a richer flavor. Better get cracking so I don't have to do ALL the sides tomorrow.
Old 11-28-2013, 12:08 AM   #16
Cook

Left over pork chops, left over salted-vinegar smashed potatoes that my bride quartered and reheated in bacon grease, fried eggs and a salad to start.
Old 11-28-2013, 06:56 AM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
....and the pumpkin pie recipe made so much filling that it filled two pie shells, which gave us a "bonus" pie. Wouldn't it be a shame to let it go to waste (waist)?
Katie, your post reminded me of the year I was tasked with the pie making for Thanksgiving. I started out with the pumpkin. The pies were for the family get together so we needed more than one! I decided on 2 pumpkin, 1 pecan, and 1 buttermilk. Mixed up the dough from Grandpa Jackson's fail proof recipe. Mixed up the pumpkin pie filling doubling the recipe. Got the two pie pans layered with crust and poured in the filling. Had enough left for a third pie! Rolled out more crust and made a third pumpkin pie. "oh well, we'll just have some left overs" I thought. Then I proceeded to the pecan pie. I had to mix up more pie crust dough (recipe makes 3 pies) and rolled it out for the pecan pie. Mixed up the filling as per directions on the Karo syrup bottle. Poured the filling in the crust and still had enough for a second pie! So made another pecan pie. I'm thinking, "Do I make the buttermilk pie since I now have 5 pies?" Well, some of the family don't like pumpkin and some don't like pecan. It will be nice to try a new pie this year for variety. I had dough left so figured I might as well. Mixed up the buttermilk pie filling and made a buttermilk pie but had some filling left over. Not enough for a full pie so I used my custard cups and made 2 small tarts. That was the last year they asked me to make pie!

I had some hamburger so cooked it up into taco meat and had it with flour tortillas.
Old 11-28-2013, 08:00 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Just a reminder of how things can turn out as a result of pigging out!

Horrible Fat Squirrel - Repeat in a loop

Tags
dinner, fast