"Emergency Fix" Eating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

csalt

Sous Chef
The few pounds I managed to lose are all safely back in place:mad: beacause I have resorted to " food fixes" which my body tells me will make me feel better whilst my brain knows perfectly well it wont.
This is because my husband has to have surgery for prostate cancer and we both feel somewhat 'concussed' by the news.

Both of us accept totally whatever is in God's plan for us but it still comes as something of a shock to the system..hence my craving for a chocolate fix!!
Silly woman!:ermm: :pig: The good news is they do not think it has spread.:)

Hope everything goes well with the surgery. In my case, my food fix is also chocolate, preferably a Twix-type snack you can get here in Spain.

I go for pastry usually.

csalt, my dad had prostate cancer surgery a few years ago..infact I think twelve - I know because thats how long his bloods have been coming back clear :). My father's was very advanced as he had been living with the symptoms for some years, was only picked up on a thorough screening given to him when he started his then new job. I hope that things go just as well for your husband.

It's lovely of you both to care, and to admit to the odd 'fix'!

I am genuinely heartened by what you say. Thank-you:)

I can`t say I go for food fixes, I`m quite the opposite, I lose my appetite entirely and tend to Smoke much more than usual, I think I`de prefer the Food fix!

Fingers Crossed for you both! :)

YT2095 said:
I can`t say I go for food fixes, I`m quite the opposite, I lose my appetite entirely and tend to Smoke much more than usual, I think I`de prefer the Food fix!

Fingers Crossed for you both! :)

I tried to smoke when my Mother died. Not having a clue how to do it I nearly died of asphxiation ( slight exaggeration!!):rolleyes:

First, Csalt sending prayers to you and your hubby and hoping everything goes well. My food fix is anything sweet, when we don't have anything - I eat my Grandsons cinn. graham crackers I buy for him ------------- bad Grandma !!

Thanks all of you..I'm cheered by your kindness and your humour. That's a saving grace isn't it..without a sense of humour life would be gray indeed.

My father just had it done couple of month ago, as long as it did not spread your husband will be fine, no need to worry about. After 2 month my father is completely fine and has no problem. So stop eating, no exuse.

CharlieD said:
My father just had it done couple of month ago, as long as it did not spread your husband will be fine, no need to worry about. After 2 month my father is completely fine and has no problem. So stop eating, no exuse.

I did try a little bit harder today!! You've all been so encouraging.

Is it possible to give out karma in a block like group emails!!:ROFLMAO:

Mom used to always say that sometimes you wonder if the spouse is going to die from their loved one's medical problems, because you get so wrapped around caring for him/her that you neglect yourself. Some of it is inevitable. Find something small you can enjoy in chocolate, and then, I know this is anethema to this site, if you can afford it, buy some frozen dinners of the Lean Cuisine, Healthy Choice, etc, stuff, and large bags of whatever frozen green veggies you like, and a good multi vitamin. Take a handful of the frozen greens, pop the frozen dinner on top of it, and nuke. It is so easy to eat those snacks (for me it would likely be bags of chips), and then, because you've eaten all the calories you should have for the day and don't want to gain weight, you stop eating the nutritious food (that doesn't seem to be worth cooking for just one when you are under stress). This is a formula for getting sick yourself, which is no help for your loved ones or yourself. Make sure to keep your own nutrition and exercise going as much as you can (and believe me I know how hard it is to do that), for everyone's sake.

Your kind and wise advice is much appreciated Claire.

Surgery day is in 4 days time.:)

Prostate cancer is about as good as it can get--VERY high rate of total cure. Be very glad it was found.

Thank-you again. I am deeply touched by the kindness of all.

If I actually get the opportunity to nap in the late afternoon, I always seem to crave carbs when I wake. It could be crackers, pretzels, or cookies, but it has to be carbs.

And...I always seem to need bubbles the morning after a night of cocktails. I'll start with Coke but eventually, the sweetness of that gets to me, so I'll satisfy the bubble urge with lemon-lime seltzer.

Csalt, I just came across this thread, and belatedly I am sending you my bestust wishes to you and your beloved hubby. I am not familiar with this illness, but I hope with all my heart that everything will be okay.

Enjoy your chocolate if that makes you feel better. But if I allow myself to put in my two cents, I suggest you do some exercise or fitness activity along with it. Find an activity you enjoy, even if it is simply shaking your bootie to your favourite music! I know when you are stressed or have something heavy in your mind, you feel that you are in no mood for things like that, but you will be surprised how much better and positive you feel once you start moving your body. It is the adrenaline rush, and it is a natural and the best high your mind can ever get. Plus, you will get healthier, and burn off that chocolate calorie!!:-p

Urmaniac13; that advice too I will follow. We have a treadmill, which I endeavour to use every day, but like my 'centuries ago' school reports " must try harder" I have been overwhelmed by the warmhearted kindness of all you people; more so because elsewhere I received a personal memo advising me not air personal stuff.
If no-one minds, I look forward to telling you how it went around a week from today:)

We'll look forward to an update. :)

I'm so sorry that I just found this thread, too. From what I've read on the posts, it sounds like it will all be under control within a little bit of time.

Take care of yourself!

When I'm going to be at the hospital, I take a lot of coins and $1 bills. The place is just loaded with vending machines. I can even manage to duck in and out of the place to one of the fast food restaurants across the street.
When we get the "all clear" on the patient, we generally go out to eat and pick up a few things before we head back to the hospital.
If you have to be in the patient zone, the nurses will usually be happy to microwave a bag of popcorn for you.
Hoping the best for all of you.

Back
Top Bottom