"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 05-28-2010, 11:37 AM   #1
Flour Child

Foodie Confessions

C'mon, "Foodie Confessions" is the place to fess up. We won't tell
You know you've done a foodie sin and it's eating away at you
You're among friends...so do tell!

I confess...

...sometimes I like to fill the hole in the avocado half with ketchup and eat it right out of the shell (i can hear the ewwws)

...I use garlic salt (of course I prefer fresh garlic but I'm sometimes too lazy). My sister recently told me "shhhh, it's a BIG no-no in foodie circles" (what are sisters for)

...last weekend I had a dinner party and sauteed the fresh mushroom caps in olive OIL before stuffing them with hummus for hor d'oeuvres. No one could pick them up because they were so slippery. Don't do that
Like Julia Roberts said in "Pretty Woman", when dining on escargot in a fine restaurant, "Slippery little suckers aren't they"

...and I confess, i had to look up the spelling for "hor d'oeuvres"....again

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:58 AM   #2
Everymom

My standard hors d'oeuvres starter is usually chips and dip. LOL!!! I do others too, but really, we all like it. Heh heh heh.

My confessions - they are numerous so I'll just do a couple.

1. I love Velveeta and Cheese Whiz and Kraft Dinner
2. My only brand loyalty is to Coke. I'm addicted.
3. I'm a food snob about baking, but still use the occasional boxed cake mix when I'm lazy.
4. My idea of "plating" is pretty primitive. As long as the food tastes good I don't care what it looks like on the plate. I only try to make sure everything isn't the same basic color on the plate.

Old 05-28-2010, 11:59 AM   #3
Executive Chef

I confess...

...I don't use fresh garlic. I like the organic minced in a jar.

...When I'm tired and don't want to mess around in the kitchen, I'll pop a couple of cheap, 48 cents a piece pot pies into the oven.

...When baking turkey during a holiday, I'll pick off the crispy skin and eat it myself, telling others that it stuck to the foil, which I've already thrown away.

...for most of the year, the interior of my oven is a disaster.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:28 PM   #4
Head Chef

Love these confessions :-). Mine are:

I love to use canned tomatoes and black beans. I use canned tomatoes for a ton of stuff and will just smile when my older aunts preach to me how everything fresh is the best
Most Indian's I know will only make fresh vegetables and I will use frozen ones whenever I can. The end product, you will never know the difference what I used if I don't tell.
I use turkey meat whenever I can and mask it so well that my kids and husband will not know it's turkey at all. My trick is to use a fair amount of paprika to give the meat a darker color. Healthy for them and makes me happy
Like Alix I am not into plating and presentation. I just like the food to taste good.
I never follow a recipe or measure anything which could mean disaster at times
I love to experiment and do that when I have a huge party. I have again been lucky but could spell disaster if it did not work out
I love nestle toll house ready to bake cookies. I am a good baker and can bake things from scratch but my kids are at the age where they would just have instant gratification than toil with me to make cookies
I love semi home made concepts and hence I love Sams and Costco. I get stuff from there like ready made meatballs or pre cooked shrimps, guacamole etc and give it my own spin
Old 05-28-2010, 01:47 PM   #5
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Hmm let's see....
  1. I like box mac-n-cheese and not "the blue box".
  2. I'll make tuna caserole with mac-n -cheese, tuna, peas, and potato chiips (but only for me)
  3. If I grill steaks and they are still undercooked when go to plate them I put them in the microwave to get time cooked and up to temperature (SO likes WELL done)
  4. If I'm really hungry after work i'll roll a sliice of bologna with cheese (I guess I'm also confessing I like bologna)
  5. I like the beaters when I bake.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:53 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Ooh, confession time!
I like the cheap Ellio's frozen pizza much more than the other brands.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:49 PM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
I confess...

...sometimes I like to fill the hole in the avocado half with ketchup and eat it right out of the shell (i can hear the ewwws)
no ewwws from me, Mollyanne.......try bottled chili sauce and a sprinkle of garlic powder with fresh ground pepper. Yummm

Hmmmm, trying to think.......does squirting Readi Whip into my open yap count??

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 04:36 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
no ewwws from me, Mollyanne.......try bottled chili sauce and a sprinkle of garlic powder with fresh ground pepper. Yummm

Hmmmm, trying to think.......does squirting Readi Whip into my open yap count??
Yep, my kids do it all the time. There I've told on myself. If I'm not in the mood to dirty a bowl,beaters and such the can appears as well as the plastic bowl form the freezeer. I've others maybe I'll tell.
kadesma
Old 05-28-2010, 05:01 PM   #9
Flour Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
...My confessions - they are numerous so I'll just do a couple.
1. I love Velveeta and Cheese Whiz and Kraft Dinner
2. My only brand loyalty is to Coke. I'm addicted...
There are Rehab centers for that ...just teasing

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 05:19 PM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
...and I confess, i had to look up the spelling for "hor d'oeuvres"....again
Don't worry MA.........in my distinguished circle we call them "whores ovaries"

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote