Friday, 1/13/2017, What are you cooking today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flour

Cook
More bean and cheese tortillas, and a serving of that curry that was frozen last week. Also going to make a soup this weekend with a meaty pork bone, left over lentil, tomatoes, barley, onion, red bell pepper. Probably throw in some broth, garlic, ginger, amino sauce, cayenne, salt. I have a feeling we may do tomato soup with grilled bacon and cheese sandwiches, also.

The posts about chili got me in the mood to cook, and I have a night off, so I think I'll be making that. Although, it'll be for tomorrow or Sunday's supper.

Also, I never got around to making the pea soup last week, so that'll be double duty in the crock pot. I guess I can put a frozen ham bone right in without defrosting it since it cooks for 4 hours.

I have some good fat, a bone, and scraps of meat from the pork shoulder I used to make the Korean BBQ yesterday, so that's a start for the chili. The rest of the meat will be ground turkey. That way I can tell DW it's healthy turkey chili.

Since I'll probably have to go food shopping for a few ingredients, I'm thinking a simple grilled steak or maybe lamb shoulder chops for tonight.

I think it will be warmer out tomorrow so will wait to hit the stores.

Tonight is tuna melts. Little Miss Dainty Paws will be a happy camper.

Made Manhattan Clam Chowder to go with fresh mussels and grilled oysters w/ butter , garlic and parsley.

img_1495637_0_665fd74d65121499abe8d12a1956264b.jpg

Hmm, that's interesting, s&p. I've made a lot of Manhsttan clam chowder, even winning a few competitions with my recipe, but I've never tried using mussels before. How do tjey compare to clams? Being mostly belly, do they hold up well, or break down somewhat?

Hmm, that's interesting, s&p. I've made a lot of Manhsttan clam chowder, even winning a few competitions with my recipe, but I've never tried using mussels before. How do tjey compare to clams? Being mostly belly, do they hold up well, or break down somewhat?

Buckeytom, I think you misunderstand. The mussels and oysters are another dish and not in the chowder!

So I ended up with another 1 lb. underblade steak (does anyone know what type of cut that is?). Side salad and ginger dressing, and a nuked spud with herbs du K-L (ever since I heard that term it stuck :chef: )

Busketti squash, still baking in the oven. I'll have it with butter and S&P. :)

Went freezer-diving and found the pork-and-sauerkraut I had set aside for just this occasion...our return from OH. With laundry and unpacking to do, I knew I wouldn't have time for scratch cooking. All I had to do was make some mashed potatoes. Good comfort food.

For a little color later, we had fresh strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries over a little vanilla bean ice cream. :yum:

I made some sweet sausage in the cast iron skillet with some bell peppers and fresh garlic, then added marinara sauce. Served with some penne pasta, peas, and Italian bread.

So I ended up with another 1 lb. underblade steak (does anyone know what type of cut that is?). Side salad and ginger dressing, and a nuked spud with herbs du K-L (ever since I heard that term it stuck :chef: )

It's from the chuck primal. Under the shoulder blade.

Thanks Flour and Andy.

The ones I have been buying aren't tough, and they're delicious. They go for about $4.75 / lb.

Attachments

• 0113172207a.jpg
    0113172207a.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 161
  • 0113172214a.jpg
    0113172214a.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
Adding: When I take the steak off to rest, I push the onions to the center of the grill pan and add a splash of water. That helps steam the onions just a bit and creates a little tasty liquid from the fond.

Back
Top Bottom