Friday, 3/3/17, what's for dinner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
We are having grilled chicken marinated with shawarma style ingredients. It will be shredded after grilling and stuffed in homemade pita pockets, with tzatziki, with a side of spanakopita with homemade filling, bought the phyllo. Everything is in the works already.

Last edited:
Now Nobody read this the wrong way. I love Catholics, especially during Lent.

I was once an altar boy. One of our duties was to put away the wine after mass. I suppose pour it out or put it back in the bottle. Or something. We boys drank it. Maybe it wasn't a duty, and we just did it. Well I'm sure there wasn’t that much and it was quickly shared. I can't believe the parents didn't notice driving home from church.

For old times sake, I read the diocese calendar for local church Lent Fish Fries. I like the one church that has bingo in the church vestibule, temporary set up like right insde the door along with Quilt displays. Don’t know if you win a quilt or if they are raffled off. Fried or baked fish or meatless spaghetti.

Then I checked a local VFW menu and events calendar. I like their fish. Don’t know how they do this, the fishies tend to curl up at the thinner ends rather than remaining flat. Cute and I think it tastes better. So that’s where we are going for dinner. Hope they have malt vinegar.

Last edited:
Since we eat our main meal at 1:00 pm (PST), and it is a horrible rainy day, I decided on soup and tuna melts. TB had tomato soup and I had mushroom soup. They were both from cans - something I rarely do but I am dealing with yet another cold and I have to be healthy for a routine surgery next week. So, tins were quick and easy.

I have a craving for fried food this evening. I have some bone in pork chops in the freezer, and haven't had fried pork chops in ages. The bone makes them finger food, which is a bonus. I'm thinking that and some fries -- double fried, of course.

That meal would probably put me in violation of every religious dietary law ever written. I'm such a bad boy. :angel:

CD

Hmmm....a couple of coincidences reading today's dinner thread.

Andy, I've been craving short ribs for a few days now and bought several pounds today. They will be on tomorrow's menu, though. Too late to make them today.

LP...a tuna melt is on the menu for this afternoon's dinner here, too! It will be open face on toasted rye, with a small side salad. :yum: Hope you feel better soon!

Last edited:
I hit the bargain section yesterday and ended up with chicken breasts and chicken legs. Since I had turkey legs yesterday it looks like a chicken breast. Decisions, decisions. How to cook it, don't know yet. Have jasmine rice from yesterday to go with that. Still got asparagus and I always like that, so the only thing to figure out is the treatment of the chicken.

Dinner was excellent.

picture.php

We hit up Pizza Grille with family on DH's side. Most of us had the seafood chowdah (Manhattan style, quite good) and the mixed seafood platter (I got the appetizer portion, it was plenty). A couple of us had the pizza. Jeebus, the place was absolutely packed! Parking was hard to find. This small town midwesterner is not used to east coast traffic or crowds!

Last edited:
Tonight I will prepare snapper Romano, served with steamed vegetables, fusilli, and 2015 Alamos Torrontés Argentina

I just ate the roasted chicken breast, chopped green onions over the rice, nuked some lima beans. Lost my desire to be creative.

Did rewind on the shrimp hotdish/casserole. Mom didn't want to eat that, so she got a grilled cheese sandwich instead. Another clean plate day--maybe I need to get stickers. She had mandarin orange segments and celery with her sandwich. And an Ensure.

Dw has been doing most of the cooking recently, so when I got up this afternoon, she looked at me with desparation and said, " You cook dinner tonight. You know, just go in the fridge and whip something up that we've never had before like you always do."

I looked in the fridge, then the phone rang. I was called into work early, so I ordered Chinese takeout for the wife and boy.

Phew, that was pressure.

I'm having (takeout) hot open turkey and roasted corn, looking for new inspiration so I don't get caught flat footed the next time.

Hmmm....a couple of coincidences reading today's dinner thread.

Andy, I've been craving short ribs for a few days now and bought several pounds today. They will be on tomorrow's menu, though. Too late to make them today.

LP...a tuna melt is on the menu for this afternoon's dinner here, too! It will be open face on toasted rye, with a small side salad. :yum: Hope you feel better soon!

I just satisfied our short rib craving a week or so ago!

Cheryl, I did them open faced as well on our favourite gluten free potato flax bread we get from a baker who's recipe is so top secret he can't work because he hurt his back but he goes in every morning at 4 am to make the dough and get it proofing for the baker who has taken over running the rest of the business! It is similar in texture to a french loaf with flax seeds in it. One of the few GF breads you don't have to toast!

Thanks, for the well wishes. I am resting as much as I can.

Hope you feel better soon, LP.

I had planned on making a pot of Ribollita. Sounds perfect for a fridge full of aging veggies. However, I've had a burning desire for mac-and-cheese all week. It's going to be colder than a witch's kiss tomorrow, so I pushed the soup back to Saturday. Boy, was that mac-and-cheese creamy.:yum:

...I was once an altar boy. One of our duties was to put away the wine after mass. I suppose pour it out or put it back in the bottle. Or something. We boys drank it. Maybe it wasn't a duty, and we just did it. Well I'm sure there wasn’t that much and it was quickly shared...

...Then I checked a local VFW menu and events calendar. I like their fish...So that’s where we are going for dinner. Hope they have malt vinegar.
I was a Eucharistic Minister for about 20 years from the mid-1980s on. I have no idea how things were done before Eucharistic Ministers, but we were expected to finish any wine in our cups before rinsing the cup out with water and drinking that when communion was done. We then cleansed our cups in the sacristy using a special sink, the sacrarium. The drain from that sink went right into the ground rather than the sewer system. I suppose if the priest didn't want to finish the wine, you boys were expected to "clean up" for him. That should be your story - stick to it. :cool:

BTW, if you really want malt vinegar with your fish and chips, you should pack your own small bottle. It's what our son did with a tiny bottle of Tabasco sauce. If you can't find a really small bottle, you could always put it into your DxW's purse. Himself considers mine "our" purse. :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom