"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 06-21-2007, 09:40 AM   #1
Assistant Cook
Gas or Electric

I'm sure this has been discussed before and I'm sure it will be debated almost as much as the coals or gas for grilling debate.

Just wondering what people prefer and why. I personally love gas, I find I have control over everything whereas electric takes too long to heat up or cool down. What's your opinion?

OnlineCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 10:14 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I like gas for the same reasons. If it's on, it's on...if it's off, it's off. I can char/roast jalapeños over a gas burner with no trouble. It's just what I'm used to. If, for some reason, I was found with an electric stove, I'd deal with it though. I just like a gas stove better.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 12:55 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I've had both gas and electric and I have to answer "yes" to both, but I'll explain.

When we moved into this house, the kitchen had an electric stand-alone stove. It was one level above a campfire and I never liked electric burners so, when we replaced it, we put in a gas cooktop and an electric oven.

Gas for the reasons already stated, especially the part kitchenelf mentioned about roasting peppers, but I prefer an oven to be electric.
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 12:55 PM   #4
Executive Chef
Interesting how many oldtimers migrated from castiron wood/coal cookstoves to gas stoves. Having used all three, and because there are some similarities between the heat situation on a wood/coal cookstove and an electric, I'm comfortable using electric.
justplainbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 01:02 PM   #5
Assistant Cook
I do like cooking over a wood burning stove, I like campfires for the same reason. MY bachlor party, well it was a bachlor cabin trip, no strippers, was somewhere on the Appliacian Trail. At anyrate, I cooked breakfast, lunch and dinner on one of those stoves and loved it. I still prefer my gas stove. Interesting about the electric over though. Aren't most convection ovens electric?
OnlineCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 01:07 PM   #6
Executive Chef
Send a message via MSN to YT2095
Gas anyday!, I did the electric thing for over 2 decades (gas was ilegal in a highrise tower block).
Gas is Far more responsive and gives a better surface contact (how can it not, it`s Fire!).
So long and Thanks for all the Fish ;)

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 01:09 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
I have a gas stove...gas hot water heater, and gas fired central heat.

When I was without (electrical) power many days during Katrina I had no problem having hot water, and with a simple strike of match the stove was nice to have. So for those reasons, and the others mentioned I like gas.

That being said, If I ever replace my stove, like Miss Katie, I would give serious consideration to an electric oven with gas burners.
There is only one Quality worse than Hardness of Heart, and that is Softness of Head.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 01:15 PM   #8
Master Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
I have only cooked on gas in out RV, and electric at home. Like the electric - can simmer easier on it. No smell of gas either.
Grandma's Boys - Isaiah (11) Cameron (3 )
Barb L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 01:19 PM   #9
Executive Chef
Definately gas. You know it when your power goes out. Wood burning fireplace, too.
Jeekinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 02:59 PM   #10
Head Chef
Send a message via MSN to Caine
Where I live, even if gas sucked, which it doesn't, I would prefer it to electricity simply because of the cost.

Caine is offline   Reply With Quote