Grub's up 9/11/13 (11/9/13)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:LOL: I understand where you were coming from, GQ, with 9/11/13, as it's an unusual date combo. My Tuesday jury duty date cracked me up too, 11/12/13 (US).

OK, so I'm easily amused.....

Btw, great explanation, Pac!

Last edited:
Pac , posting in different languages is a different kettle of fish . If a forum is English speaking then I certainly wouldn't expect to see other languages , and in general it doesn't happen cos it wouldn't make sense for anyone . However , this is just the date we are talking about and we all speak English . I run an English based forum with members from all over the world , it's an international forum and I wouldn't dream of asking members to use an English date format just because I am English .....

I think the thing is, while the Internet may be international, this forum is American based, hence why you don't see a UK or AUS in the url.
I often search for a past dinner thread using the date. And switching formats to day then month does nothing to help matters.
There's a saying, "When in Rome..." It's only proper netiquette to adapt. That's why you also don't see recipes posted here in many of our members' native tongues. :)

You mean I can translate gibberish? :angel:

Well if I was on a forum that used a different format for the date than what I was taught, I would do it their way. It just seems like the polite thing to do to me. Just like I would say minced meat when describing hamburger.
Maybe when if Rome is an American saying, lol.

I write the date the way I was taught to . Have done it that way on other forums and people do it their way on my forum , not a problem and I don't view anyone as being impolite for not conforming, our differences make us interesting . Same with our language , I think we have great fun on here with words considering we all speak English . I think we learn from each other too.

It's a cool and blustery day here. I'm making a ham and lentil soup. I also have a take-home and bake it pizza from Costco that has reached it sell by date. I don't think you can freeze one of those so I will have to bake it. Strange combination but oh well.

I write the date the way I was taught to . Have done it that way on other forums and people do it their way on my forum , not a problem and I don't view anyone as being impolite for not conforming, our differences make us interesting . Same with our language , I think we have great fun on here with words considering we all speak English . I think we learn from each other too.

Since I am the one who started this brouhaha, let me settle this. I was totally confused and two things struck me immediately. You completely skipped a day and I read it as 9/11. An extremely sensitive date for Americans. Why would anyone go there in November? You picked a bad date as an example. My first thought was "Is she deliberately slapping us in the face? No, it can't be that. I am being overly sensitive." The longer I looked at it, the more confused I became. What happened to dinner for the 10th of November? I even went to look in the 'most recent posts.' I wanted to make sure I wasn't in the wrong before I said anything. This forum has been around since the early days of this century. The date was started then and still is month/day/year. If it had been decided at that time that all words that are spelled across the pond with your "our" as in 'labour' instead of "or" as in our 'labor', then I would make it a point to do so, to be in step with the established and accepted rules. :angel:

Some folks post recipes in metric units. There's no rule against it and there shouldn't be. Some people write the date as DAY/MONTH/YEAR - shortest period up to longest period. There's no rule against it and there shouldn't be. Any confusion over a date should be fairly easily resolved.

This is now an international site we should be able to deal with differences. Our members from countries other than the USA do.

Some folks post recipes in metric units. There's no rule against it and there shouldn't be. Some people write the date as DAY/MONTH/YEAR - shortest period up to longest period. There's no rule against it and there shouldn't be. Any confusion over a date should be fairly easily resolved.

This is now an international site we should be able to deal with differences. Our members from countries other than the USA do.

I thought someone stated earlier that there is a rule in place for the dinner thread day, month year. :huh:

But at any rate I don't care what unit a recipe is posted in. That is something I don't mind translating if I am interested in it. Although it was always nice of Snip to post her recipes both ways, knowing that there are those of us who have not adopted metric yet.

As far as the date, there should be some uniformity. It only makes sense for searches.
I don't recall the forum asking me to choose my date format, as it would if it was truly "international". Maybe it did and I don't recall.

But point blank, 11/9 reversed was a pretty conspicuous date to choose to start a dinner thread for someone who usually doesn't start those threads. Bad taste.

OK. No harm, no foul, and GQ did not intentionally post 9/11, which understandably is an extremely sensitive date for many of us.

The format of the dinner thread for this website is mm/dd/yy, unless stated differently with words. Please refer to the site guidelines.

This subject is now closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom