"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 10-10-2015, 01:40 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Happy Upcoming Thanksgiving, Canada! Dinner 10/10/15

In order to free up freezer space, I defrosted last year's turkey, and it's currently roasting. There will be massive amounts of leftovers, and I have no idea what else we might have. Probably should scare up a vegetable.

What's up with you?

She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 02:00 PM   #2
Certified Cake Maniac
Thanks, Dawg!

We are having our dinner on Monday as our "guests" are TB's brother and Kay. He has his sons until Sunday and she is out with her brother Sunday so we decided to make it on the actual holiday.

I am making a turkey breast roast (though I will get a turkey leg for my BIL as he loves them!) with mashed potatoes, stuffing (gluten free bread cubes), gravy (also GF), homemade cranberry sauce, roasted root veggies with maple ginger glaze and broccoli. We will have berry crisp for dessert.

"Variety is not just the spice of life, it is the key to life" - Chef Michael Smith

LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 02:00 PM   #3
Senior Cook
Happy Thanksgiving.
We are having cheesy chicken chowder and homemade bread.
cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 02:08 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
Happy Thanksgiving, Canadian friends! 🍗

We are going to a neighborhood potluck and I am bringing meatloaf cupcakes with mashed potato topping

The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 02:53 PM   #5
Sous Chef
Even though it's two days early for Canadian Thanksgiving, we're having Canadian chicken cacciatore. I'm giving Ontarian Rocklobster's recipe a shot. If it's half as good as his pork medallions in mushroom cream sauce it will be a keeper.
tenspeed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 03:08 PM   #6
Master Chef
Meatloaf, steamed cauliflower and cabbage salad.
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 03:11 PM   #7
Executive Chef
I am cooking from the Frugal Gourmet Cooks Italian. Am almost done with the Fresh Sicilian tomato sauce recipe, which makes about one gallon, and then will use some in Chicken Parmigiano with Tomato Cream Sauce.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
bethzaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 06:03 PM   #8
Master Chef
I picked up a "large" container of Wendy's chili (I think it's a pint) for quick Taco Salads. Himself is off astronomy-ing right now and won't be home until around 10. I'll be making my salad soon, and prepping all of his so I can assemble it fresh when he gets home.

... nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have... ~~~ LeBron James
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 04:06 AM   #9
Head Chef
Originally Posted by bethzaring View Post
I am cooking from the Frugal Gourmet Cooks Italian. Am almost done with the Fresh Sicilian tomato sauce recipe, which makes about one gallon, and then will use some in Chicken Parmigiano with Tomato Cream Sauce.
It's a great base sauce. We always make up a huge batch and freeze it in about 3-4 cup portions. We use it as a base for just about every red sauce we use, including the alla vodka sauce we used on the manicotti recently.

We had hamburger stroganoff. We were supposed to have pizzas but Craig was really tired after a job yesterday so change of plans. I actually remembered to make the no knead pizza dough from Bon Appetit Friday evening so it had to go into fridge for use today.
medtran49 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 05:53 AM   #10
Flour Child
I'm not Canadian but in honor of our Canadian friends here, a virtual taste teaser….
Tortiere...wonderful Québécois Meat Pies

Have a fabulous Thanksgiving Celebration!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	23633  
Attached Images

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote

canada, dinner, thanksgiving