Hot Bean Paste

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

madcitypaul

Assistant Cook
So I picked up a jar of some Szechuan Hot Bean paste today, and will be using it tonight. But I wonder.... has anyone here used it? What method do you like best when working with it? A stir fry? Bake it into the other parts of the meal? As a marinade?

Just from having watched szechaun chefs use it, it seems like it is commonly fried.

i've only had it as a condiment with korean food, in things like a hot pot to make it spicier, or on bbq beef wrapped in perilla leaves, again, to add heat and saltiness. i would guess it would work well in a stir fry.

i'm interested in how you ended up using it madcitypaul. :chef:

Well, I did end up going the stir fry route. Nothing too fancy, I started with a mix of sesame and olive oil, heated that up, and put the hot bean paste in first. I let it fry a little, and break down into the oil. Then just tossed in my chicken, and then the veggies I was using, along with some 5 spice powder.

It turned out really well, and it really gave me a good sense of how to use it. There's a dish that I want to try next called Mapo Doufu. It's a sort of Szechuan comfort food. :) All hot 'n' spicy, loaded with rich flavors.

I don't consider my fridge complete without an open jar of Szechuan Hot Bean Paste/Sauce in it!! I use it most often in Asian noodle (aka Ramen) soups & stir-fries, but it's also good in Asian-style marinades. Works well with meat, poultry, seafood, tofu, - everything. Terrific stuff! Definitely a staple around here.

If you can't find it at your local market or Asian market, you can sub in regular Asian Black Bean Garlic Paste/Sauce & add a dollop of Asian Chili-Garlic Sauce to it for the heat.

Back
Top Bottom