"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 01-06-2005, 03:24 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
How do you organize your recipes??

I have note books filled with print outs,
recipe cards, word programs stuffed with recipes, cook books with a million book marks,
a bunch on "myfamily" page, and scraps of paper
all over the place.

It takes me longer to find a recipe than it takes to prepare the
dish.

How have you sloved this problem?? :D :D

Thanks, Trish

Old 01-06-2005, 03:41 PM   #2
Master Chef

I'm still trying to figure out the best way to be organized! I have a ton of cookbooks and try to keep a mental list of which one has the recipies I like; a binder of pages from my cooking magazines, cut out, placed in clear plastic slip covers, and sorted by subject (or a bunch piled in the front of the binder until I get around to organizing!), and several boxes of recipe cards.

I'm slowly trying to type my recipies into Word documents and save in subject-specific folders. It is probably a life-long project! I want to eventually have all of my recipe card and magazine recipes typed in. The hope is that some day we can have a small flat panel in the kitchen and I can pull them up as needed. A multi-year project, I'm sure!

Old 01-06-2005, 04:22 PM   #3
Cook

I have all of my recipies on my computer. I also have a hard copy as well as a CD backup. Whenever I try a new recipie, if I want to make it again, I put on my recipie file on my computer. It is also handy when someone wants a recipe. I can either print if off or email it to them.
Old 01-06-2005, 04:26 PM   #4
Certified Executive Chef

My recipes cut from a newspaper or from a friend are on 3x5 cards inside little plastic covers in a box with alphabetical dividers, i.e. appetizers, breads/biscuits, cakes/pastry, fish, grains, etc. If I printed them on the computer, in a notebook with dividers by class. But now I try to use my cookbooks as I have 25 or so and some have rarely been used. I have printed several here but am trying to use my cookbooks, a lot of bucks invested in them. I am interested in reading on how everyone here organizes their.s
Old 01-06-2005, 04:28 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

I don't think I'll ever get truly organized. There's so many sources of new ideas that it would take an eternity to neatly type them all up, print them out, and back them up on CDs and so forth -- AND I would never have time to cook.

Mom's recipes are still on the original paper in her own handwriting. Somehow I can't bear the thought of throwing them out in lieu of some sterile computer-generated printout.
Old 01-06-2005, 04:30 PM   #6
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Lugaru
Much like memento... garbled notes, random cryptic files and backwards tattoos so I can read them in the mirror.

Nah, the only time's I ever write down recipies is when I am creating them for an event. For example for my mexican independance day festival I started hammering stuff down on scraps of paper which eventually graduated into a nice fat text document with actual measurements, estimated costs and all that. It help's keep me disciplined when I am cooking for other people instead of falling into Coltrain style freestyling.
Old 01-06-2005, 04:36 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugaru
It help's keep me disciplined when I am cooking for other people instead of falling into Coltrain style freestyling.
If I were ever lucky enough to have you cook something for me, Lugaru, you damn well better be freestylin.
Old 01-06-2005, 05:06 PM   #8
Master Chef

I am slowly but surely getting all my recipes on in Word and onto my computer. Then I have them backed up on a disc. Most of my favorites I also have in hard copy form in a binder with clear plastic sheets. Some I also have backed up a zip disk.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 07:06 PM   #9

I'm farrrrrrrrrrrrr from organized! I did make an attempt once by buying a little plastic container to store 3x5 cards... but mainly, I just mark pages in my over a zillion cookbooks of my favorite recipes. I think someone on here once was asking about recipe software. I can't remember who it was.. maybe it was jkath. I'm not sure, though.
Old 01-06-2005, 07:18 PM   #10
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Lugaru
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugaru
It help's keep me disciplined when I am cooking for other people instead of falling into Coltrain style freestyling.
If I were ever lucky enough to have you cook something for me, Lugaru, you darn well better be freestylin.

I dont blush often but man... :oops:

Btw I just went into Microsoft works (windows XP edition), followed the "Database" icon and one of the first things in sight? Recipy book.

The options for templates include 4x6 recipy cards, full page and heirloom recipies (whatever that is). Im thinking this is a great option for people like me who use the internet as one big recipy book and a little more often than they would like to admit steal from recipy forums like this one

Any way's using that you could just cut and paste and since it's a database you have scrolling and search options.