"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 08-11-2007, 01:41 PM   #31
Senior Cook

There is a program in many states that you might check out. It is called Angel Food Ministries. Once a month you can purchase a box of food for $25. It is supposed to feed a family of 4 for a week or a single person for a month. The menu varies from month to month and the program is not available everywhere. The menu consists of meat/chicken, frozen veggies, dessert, sometimes pasta and sauce, sometimes frozen dinners, sometimes fruits.

I suggest you check it out. I have been participating for about 3 years now and figure that each $25 box would cost about $48 in the store.

I am also fortuante that I live near the truck garden center of Oklahoma and can stop by on the way home and get fresh fruits and veggies at reasonable prices.

Old 08-11-2007, 02:30 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Yes, oldcampcook, I'm familiar with angelfoodministries.org. They serve our area and my youngest brother participated in the June menu. The jury's still out on the quality of some of the food he received. I've been watching the menus since May and, from what has been offered, many of the food items are not the kinds of things Buck and I would/could eat. That is, there were quite a few breaded things and boxed dinners. Chicken nuggets, Hamburger Helper-type stuff, etc.

I'm still watching the menus and will probably try a month, if for nothing else, but to report to my readers who could use the grocery help.

Old 08-11-2007, 02:52 PM   #33
Sous Chef

I also might add I shop 3-5 times a week, even if I only spend a few dollars (yesterday i just bought bread, cabbage and some fresh basil and onion)

I find that if you have time to shop a few more times a week, the quality of your meals improves since your ingrediants are always fresher (no need to store everything)
Old 08-11-2007, 03:42 PM   #34
Senior Cook

Katie E,

I concur. I don't order every month, depending on the menu. The serloin steaks are not fit to eat. They are thin and marinated for restaurant use.

However, the things we don't like or eat go across the road to one of my neighbors who are both on disability. They are also the recipients of all of my bread baking endeavors. They love my sourdough and my pizza dough.
Old 08-11-2007, 04:05 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcampcook
Katie E,

I concur. I don't order every month, depending on the menu. The serloin steaks are not fit to eat. They are thin and marinated for restaurant use.

However, the things we don't like or eat go across the road to one of my neighbors who are both on disability. They are also the recipients of all of my bread baking endeavors. They love my sourdough and my pizza dough.
Yes, that's pretty much my brother's evaluation of those steaks. He said he cooked all 4 of them for one meal they were so thin. He only cooks for himself and he said they were adequate for one meal.
Old 08-11-2007, 05:27 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

We buy everything we need, and all that we want. I really don't want to know! I'm afraid I would wind up with a heart attack, so we just

Have Fun & Enjoy!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 06:05 PM   #37
Master Chef

Same here, Bob, and it's so nice to finally be able to do that.

You all know from my posts that I didn't have two nickles to rub together when my kids were little. Even after Kim and I got married, I watched my budget carefully, because what with building the house and the greenhouses, and then taking in a 3 year old boy to raise, we had a lot of expenses.
But we worked hard, saved our money, got the boy raised and everything paid off, and are now able to really enjoy our retirement.

Of course, we never know what tomorrow might bring. There's a John Denver song that says, "Some days are diamonds, some days are stones," and that's a fact. We just enjoy the diamonds and endure the stones, knowing that nothing lasts forever.
Old 08-11-2007, 06:12 PM   #38
Executive Chef

Most of my prices are in line with what you posted, except, 1% milk, 4.29 gal, asparagus $3.99 lb. I thought that was bad and saw it is 4.99 in one post. I didn't get any asparagus this week.
Old 08-11-2007, 07:03 PM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
Of course, we never know what tomorrow might bring. There's a John Denver song that says, "Some days are diamonds, some days are stones," and that's a fact. We just enjoy the diamonds and endure the stones, knowing that nothing lasts forever
I'm right with ya Miss Connie! I also figured out a long time ago, ain't none of us gonna get out of here alive!

Have Fun % Enjoy!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 07:22 AM   #40
Sous Chef

I noticed that this thread was from 2.5 years ago. I wonder if the prices listed in the first post by Sierra have gone up.

Just as an example from the midwest:

Milk, skim, organic, $5/gallon
Milk, skim, non-organic, $3.25/gallon

We are spending quite a bit on groceries, however, I like to have a very well-stocked pantry, and I have been working on fully supplying my huge pantry. I also shop many days a week. I guess it's a habit I picked up in Germany when I had no pantry at all, and a tiny fridge/freezer. When we were living there, I literally shopped every single day except Sunday (and only because everything closes on Sunday).

I do shop at Aldi here (although, surprisingly, I never shopped at Aldi in Germany because it was always packed to the rafters with shoppers) because I can find some great deals on fresh vegetables. I also like their salad mix ($1.69) and I bought a few flats of tinned vegetables for my pantry ($.49/can usually).