"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 01-17-2005, 02:28 PM   #11
Executive Chef

It sucked :!: I won't watch it.

Old 01-17-2005, 02:31 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Location: USA - Chicago, Illinois ~ On a windy day, I can almost get a frisbee to Midway Airport.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardge
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEFSElover
I watched it, it was just okay in my eyes.
Not a big fan of RB or his cooking/recipes so didn't throw myself totally into it. BF was his usual self. The buffalo main ingredient isn't something I ever want to taste and I thought that the judges were not completely convinced either. JC sort of picked through her food, or at least to me, it looked that way.
Who is RB and JC?

I missed the show! I was working as usual. I never get to see ANY good shows anymore. I really need a Tivo.

RJ
So, RB is Rick Bayless I am guessing. Who's JC?

Anyone? Bueller? Anyone???

RJ

Old 01-17-2005, 02:41 PM   #13
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Lugaru
Btw kinda blew up about the texas thing, sorry about that. I've just encountered a lot over the past week (outside of the forum) and I get frustrated when I try to explain it's mostly northern mexican cooking, which is in turn influenced by the US, instead of suthern mexican cooking which is influenced more by europe and the pre hispanic cultures.
Old 01-17-2005, 02:45 PM   #14
Master Chef

Didn't see it, boo hoo. I needed to watch the Da Vinci show, and they overlapped here.
Old 01-17-2005, 03:03 PM   #15
Head Chef

Keep in mind I know NOTHING of Mexican cooking...

Isn't a lot Mexican dishes from Texas called Tex-Mex, which isn't real authentic Mexican food found in Mexico, but original dishes that have been taken and adapated by the U.S., specifically Texas? I thought that is what places like Chevys, Taco Bell, Hosong and Larrys, etc. is.

I know when I go over to a Mexican friend's house, they cook stuff that is WONDERFUL and I never find it in restaurants. Stuff like turkey w/ some sort of mole sauce wrapped in banana leaf, various soups, etc.

Side note--One of my favorite dishes (which I stupidly tried to recreate at home, with disatrous results) is a soup. My friend told me it was made from cow tongue or you could use beef. Don't know the name, but the flavor was PERFECT and we put a little diced onion and this creamy avacado sauce in it.
Old 01-17-2005, 03:19 PM   #16
Master Chef

In Texas we have mostly North-Eastern Mexican border food, and the mix of Northern Mexican and Texican - called Tex-Mex - a cross mix and combination of cultures along the border. Same thing happens in French or Italian - the influence of what's across the border influences the food in a region.

Bobby Flaw, and "his" take on Southwestern food, is more Arizona/New Mexico inspired Northern Mexico/Southwestern (Native American) Indian, than Tex-Mex.

The reason I like Rick Bayless is because he spent time in Mexico learning the cuisine from all over the country ..... Booby Flaw just throws in more peppers that are not from the region .... thinking hotter is more authentic I guess.
Old 01-17-2005, 03:20 PM   #17
Sous Chef

I started another thread to address Mexican american cooking besides other american originals. I do apreciate the Texan influence in mexican cooking (many things originated there) but it's just different to the exotic mexican stuff.

I cant believe they served you the mole with turkey! Hehehe, Its rare to find people who still do this, even in Mexico. Mole is a real marvel... last night I an watched iron chef episode where a Japanese chef who trained in Mexico went up against Kobe and made Mole for the panel. It was like they where drugged, they had no idea what they where eating but they where fascinated. Seriosly any other night the guy specializing in mexican food would of won but that night Kobe gave his best fight ever and scored something like 20 - 20 - 20 -19.

Beef tounge soup? Was it red or clear? It it was red it might have been guajillo or ancho peppers in a beef tounge stew. If it was clear and had hominy it was menudo and while it's great when done right it can be WEIRD when done wrong. Even the canned stuff is weird, although I eat it because I've adquired a taste for it (every one else thinks it smells like dogfood and sometimes I think they are right).
Old 01-17-2005, 03:31 PM   #18
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW
The reason I like Rick Bayless is because he spent time in Mexico learning the cuisine from all over the country ..... Booby Flaw just throws in more peppers that are not from the region .... thinking hotter is more authentic I guess.
Btw I dont think I've seen Bayless in action... does he have a show on the network? Look's like something I would like to do some more research into.
Old 01-17-2005, 03:32 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to cooking=love
Forgive me saying what I know. I know good Tex Mex. People are so fussy! I swear. You have to be so damned exact. Maybe I will stop coming here again.

Michael is absolutely right - Flay cooks New Mexican food which isn't the same at all.
Old 01-17-2005, 03:44 PM   #20
Master Chef

I thought menudo was made with tripe. If I'd known you could make it with tongue, I'd have tried it ages ago, because I love tongue. Loves food, don't give up on us. Yes some are more exacting and technical that others. But most of us just are trying to learn more about food and cooking, and aren't all that tied up in being exactly "correct". Many who are not well-travelled will insist that Chinese food only tastes like what is in their neighborhood restaurant, that Mexican only tastes like what they had in a certain city in Mexico, etc. Not only is there "Tex-Mex", there is also New Mexican, and other versions, and many variations within Mexico. And there is nothing wrong with adjusting a recipe to fit the tastes of your audience. Just call it something else and move on!!