"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 08-24-2005, 07:04 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Labor day parties

So - do you see Labor day as the 'end of summer', and plan your parties with 'summer' food? Or, as the 'beginning of fall', and serve more fall oriented food?

Old 08-24-2005, 07:08 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
We always go camping.. so it's hotdogs and dehydrated meals.
This year we're going to the big rodeo and then out to our property
in Eastern Washington. It's in a "planned" community. No houses yet
but, the club house and pool are up and running. It's great. We'll camp
on our lot and spend the day soaking in the sun. Lazy and fun!

Old 08-24-2005, 09:04 PM   #3
Head Chef

As I've said before, I live in a tiny tourist town. Holidays are extra busy here...I've agreed to "mind shop" for a small antique store in town while the owners have family in town. So, instead of a day off, I'll be working - but we usually celebrate Labor Day as "end of summer" with grilled burgers and all the usual side dishes!

callie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 06:16 AM   #4
Head Chef

When we lived in the Adirondacks, Labor Day was an end of summer holiday. We would do meat on the grill, with some corn on the cob, salads, late tomatoes (yummy) etc. School starts up there right after Labor Day, so it was the official end of summer for the kiddos.

Now that we are in Florida with its seemingly endless summer weather, we do whatever we feel like. No good tomatoes or corn at this time of year down here,at least not where we live.
School started weeks ago. Feel sorry for the kiddos having to study in this heat. ("feels like " temps of 105.)

We're invited to a party this year, and it'll be burgers and hot dogs with everyone bringing a salad or dessert.
Old 08-25-2005, 07:10 AM   #5
Senior Cook

We are traveling through out the upper midwest for the month of September, it is going to be wonderful to see the fall colors of Michigan again! We are going to try to see as many State Fairs as we can.

We leave from England on the 30th, fly into Michigan, they ferry across Lake Michigan to Wisconsin, deriving through Minnesota, South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, back to Iowa nipping Nebraska, Illinois, Indiana and back to Michigan, flying back to England on 1 October.

We can't wait!!! = )
Old 08-25-2005, 07:35 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Brianschef - they had a rodeo at the Minnesota state fair the year I attended. Hope you can catch that on your tour.

marm, with the weather the way it's been around here this summer, we will probably still be sitting around in our shorts with the AC on until October! However, even if it cools off, Labor Day still means end-of-summer to me. Curiously, it also has always felt like the beginning of the year as well - likely due to lingering haze of student days.
Old 08-25-2005, 07:44 AM   #7
Head Chef

Callie I envy you living in the rockies, I love the rockies, such beautiful views.We usually have a cookout the end of summer. We try and get our outside work done because we know snow is on the way.This year we have alot to finish before the snow flies here.
Old 08-25-2005, 08:20 AM   #8
Master Chef

Brian, your trip sounds wonderful!

I'm with mud--it feels like the end of summer and the start of fall, but we usually make it our last summer cookout of the year (even though we'll keep cooking out). We don't have any plans set yet for this year, but it will involve hotdogs, bugers, lots of munchies, German potato salad, and home made ice cream.
Old 08-25-2005, 08:42 AM   #9
Executive Chef

I have to work. We have a big cookout party at the county club I work at, which will be the same as Memorial Day and the 4th of July. Burgers, gourmet sausages, steaks, blackened shrimp, 3 cold salads, corn on the cob, breadsticks, sundae bar, pies, etc. It'll actually be a pretty slow day, not that busy, with time-and-a-half
Old 08-25-2005, 09:22 AM   #10
Master Chef

We'll be going to "Barnstock" that weekend. We have friends who have 180 acres way out in the boonies, and they hold this camp-out/gathering every year. My husband helps cook the meat...fried turkeys, beer can chickens, smoked loins and fresh hams, wonderful frankfurters and brats from a little German butcher shop...you name it. All the women bring sidedishes and desserts. I'll be taking a big pan of my "Killer Baked Beans" and a couple of gooey butter cakes.
There will be lots of music, a big campfire, hayride, fireworks, and lots of love and laughter. The next morning, we have a campfire breakfast before we go our separate ways. I can't wait!