"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 09-03-2007, 05:01 PM   #11
Head Chef

I'm seeing double.

Since it's about 110 deg out, eating indoors - plenty of leftovers from this meal I posted yesterday:

BBQ sauced ribs (they came out great), cole slaw, corn on the cob (w lime and butter), mustard potato salad, layered pasta salad (bow ties, tomatoes, mushrooms, mozzarella chunks, black olives, Italian dressing, sprinkled w fresh-grated parmesan). Lots of fruit (always around here), grapes, cantaloupe, honeydew, strawberries. Cold crab salad, Sangria, lemon cheesecake and peach pie with vanilla ice cream sprinkled w cinnamin. Appies - guacamole with homemade tortilla chips and watermelon w balsamic & feta salad.

Most of the ribs are gone... so cooking up some bacon, blue cheese, avocado burgers with lettuce and tomatoes. Need some more Sangria.

Old 09-03-2007, 05:45 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Spicy fish stew sounds good! Maybe ya could fry up some catfish to go with the spaghetti If ya do't have any catfish...Then the stew is the ticket!!

Enjoy!
It is indeed spicy fish stew UB! Tilapia would be the fish used. Ummmmmmmmm - I'll think about spaghetti and fried catfish together..ok, I've thought about it

Katie - even the smoked turkey salad seems a bit more Labor Day-ish! We're eating good food so what's really to complain about, right? Cheers!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 06:07 PM   #13
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
I have not even thought aboutit, and it is already after 6. I need to get busy!
Old 09-03-2007, 06:18 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
I'll think about spaghetti and fried catfish together..ok, I've thought about it
The first time I heard of this paring, my reaction was Do what???
So, I gave it a twirl. To my surprise, it wasn't half bad. When you think about it, most folks eat (tomato) ketchup with fried fish, so a pasta dish with tomato sauce kinda flows Not my favorite side dish with catfish, but hey sometimes ya gotta think outside the box.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 06:42 PM   #15
Executive Chef

We had ribs, too, Uncle Bob, along with baked beans and rice. The big kids are here so it was a big family dinner with so much laughter, I could hardly eat!
Old 09-03-2007, 07:07 PM   #16
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Wink

Uncle Bob, pick me up on your way, so awesome right now !!
Old 09-03-2007, 07:13 PM   #17
Master Chef

We're having leftovers from yesterday: Smoked brisket, ribs and pork sausage, Killer Baked Beans, potato salad and slaw.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:55 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

we had a few plans for the holiday weekend, but my little guy got sick, so we stayed in yesterday and i was able to get some weeding and harvesting done in and around the garden, and some cooking from it's bounty.

i made sausage, peppers, and onions in homemade sauce for lunch, and eggplant parm with penne for dinner.

i'm not the biggest fan of eggplant, but this was very good. the eggplants were washed, sliced, breaded, fried, and layered with cheese and homemade sauce and baked, all within an hour of their picking. you can't get more fresh and local, and it showed.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 12:06 PM   #19
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
I had a brunch of my special huevos rancheros, made with black beans and some Farmer John chorizo I happened to have in the freezer.

For supper I torched a couple of fillets mignon on the barbeque grill, along with a couple of corn coblets, added potato salad and mixed greens salad as side dishes, and topped it off with a cappucino lava cake and some iced coffee (made with leftover breakfast coffee).
Old 09-05-2007, 01:20 AM   #20
Master Chef

I know this is late, but my husband suggested we pick up some brats and buns and make some slaw for a couple of older, shut-in friends. When I mentioned it to them, they were very happy, and mentioned that it was a double birthday. When I called their younger relatives, it turned out to be a triple birthday. (I think we celebrated 8, 38, and 76 years old). Wound up with 20 or so people. Everyone had a great time. We're big believers in potluck, so everyone brought something, my husband and I doing the main part of the meal. It was great fun all around.