"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 10-28-2005, 12:37 AM   #21
Certified Pretend Chef

KAYLINDA:

A milk shake is one of those items that is different in different parts of the country. I think that in most of the USA, a milk shake does have ice cream in it. However, in this area (southern New England) a milk shake is ice creamless.

We have what we call frappes. That's the equivalent of a milk shake with ice cream.

Old 10-28-2005, 12:41 AM   #22
Head Chef

This is neat!
Andy...so what does a milk shake have in it there?

Old 10-28-2005, 12:46 AM   #23
Certified Pretend Chef

It's just milk and syrup whipped up in a blender. A chocolate milk shake would have milk and chocolate syrup in it. If you add chocolate ice cream then you have a chocolate frappe.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:50 AM   #24
Head Chef

Thanks Andy! It's fun to know how things are different in different places!
Old 10-28-2005, 09:46 AM   #25
Certified Pretend Chef

In New England, in addition to jimmies and frappes, we have Boston baked beans - which contain no tomato. The Campbell's version does not qualify.

Then there's New England Clam Chowder - that also contains no tomato (if it has tomato in it, it's Manhatten style). This used to be a favorite until I developed a severe allergy to clams.

As a born and raised New Englander, I think our lobsters are the best. In general, we have access to lots of great seafood.

And we could get up to 2" of snow this weekend!
Old 10-28-2005, 04:28 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

I finally thought of one from around here that I hadn't heard of elsewhere. It's Brunswick stew. I have to call a neighbor to find out the ingredients.

Andy, where I grew up we called your frappe a shake. Don't think we had a name for your "shake".
Old 10-28-2005, 05:23 PM   #27
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DugDbold
Constance, it is my unfortunate task to inform you that the New Orleans House is no more. Like it's namesake city it "went under". When they say things are too good to be true, they are usually right.

It was one of the most fantastic seafood buffets I ever saw..errr.. ate. But alas, time passes and restaurants often follow.
Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that! I wonder if the one in Lexington closed also...
At least I got to eat there once...for 3 hours!
Old 10-28-2005, 11:18 PM   #28
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyAvocado
two foods that i have trouble finding when i leave california are sourdough bread (the good stuff, chewy and crusty and not soft like a hotdog bun) and jack cheese

purrfectlydevine, we have soft pretzels here, too... i used to eat them all the time at ballgames when i was a kid. a lot of public events have pretzel carts... do you eat them with mustard?
Yes, especially the ones made by a local company. They do not taste the same as Auntie Anne's or Pretzel Time. It is hard to explain the difference, but I think they are thicker and chewier. During the summer you can find them at makeshift stands along the road sold in paper bags. You can also find them at convenience stores. The local ones are eaten at room temperature and mustard is necessary.
Old 10-28-2005, 11:20 PM   #29
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenMI
purrfectlydevine, I wish I convince my MIL that there's a better way to make her soup. Unfortunately, she will not make it any other way than diced, raw, chicken breasts, canned corn, water, simmer for awhile, then pour in copious amounts of beaten eggs while stirring.
I forgot to mention the hard cooked eggs as they are important to the broth. That is what makes it different from chicken noodle soup, even if the soup maker uses noodles.
Old 10-28-2005, 11:25 PM   #30
Sous Chef

[QUOTE=AllenMI]My MIL loves to regale me with tales of when she was young, and her parents would go to PA to visit. They always bought a shoo fly pie back. She also makes a chicken corn soup that has tons of "egg dribbles" in it, that I'm assuming is Pennsylvania Dutch. They call it chicken corn chowder, but they have no idea what real chicken corn chowder is.QUOTE]

I don't know what part of PA she visited, but I've never heard of called chicken corn chowder. Hard cooked eggs in it, yes. I wonder if what you call egg dribbles are rivels (tiny dough balls). Some cooks put them in, but my family doesn't.