"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 02-11-2006, 05:13 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Local Restaurants in Your City

Hi everyone,

My name is Mike. I own a restaurant in my city and I plan on creating a website for my restaurant.

I was wondering if you all could help me out a little by answering one simple question for me. I would really appreciate it!

1. If all the restaurants in your city had a website, what would you want to see at the website and would you want to do at the website?

Please help me out because I have no idea what to put on the website.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 02-11-2006, 05:37 PM   #2
Senior Cook

the Menu and the prices... the address and phone number and the directions as to how to get there. and to place a reservation online. Inside and outside pictures. :)

Old 02-11-2006, 05:54 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Along with the menu, a brief description of unusual dishes.
Old 02-11-2006, 06:05 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

Take out/delivery available?
Possibly indicate which menu items are so-called "heart smart".
Old 02-11-2006, 06:37 PM   #5
Sous Chef

I'll give you two examples. One is a restaraunt I visit occasionally and the other is for my local cafe.

Paua (http://www.paua.com.au) is the restaraunt and is pretty much has everything you would want for a restaraunt website. Location, contact details, menu, wine list, special happenings and even online booking.

Cafe Bobo (http://www.cafebobo.biz/) is my local cafe and certainly has a decent website for a small local cafe. It keeps you abreast of recent developments and special news.
Old 02-11-2006, 06:45 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
I would like to know about the history about the food you will be serving as well as the menu, pictures of your dishes and the restaurant, what you offer for parties/catering, if any. Take a look at this restaurant's website http://espanacuisine.com/. It happens to be my favorite one in our city. Good luck in your business.
Old 02-11-2006, 07:35 PM   #7
Contest Winner

1) Menu
2) Prices
3) Photo gallery (of both food and location)
4) if its a fancy schmancy place, a little bio (with perhaps a pic?) of the head chef and where she/he has trained

I frequent A LOT of restaraunt websites before I ever visit (if they have one) and the ones that get me lured in have those features.
Old 02-11-2006, 09:03 PM   #8
Head Chef

Agree totally with the posters, I want to see the menu. You can say it is a sample menu so you don't have to change it all the time, but the prices should be there.

Also, if you have specials would add that. Have been to a newly opened restaurant three times recently, and have not ordered from the humdrum menu. The specials are great.

Oh, yes, and I may just be an old fuddy duddy but I like to know the dress code.

Nothing will chase Mr. Auntdot out of a restaurant quicker than him being casual and everyone else being dressed up.

Those are the specifics.

But would also talk about the theme of the restaurant. Is it traditional Italian, continental, French, just good old down home American?

What does the restaurant specialize in? What are you proud of?

You are enthusiastic about the place, try to convey that to the public on the web.

Just my thoughts, and very good luck.
Old 02-11-2006, 09:41 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
Menu is number one! The usual after that, prices, phone number, address, dress code, entertainment, etc.
Old 02-11-2006, 10:59 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

Thanks everyone! These are some great replies. I really do appreciate it.

I was just thinking, would any of you visit the website of a local fast food restaurant that sells food like pizza, burgers, sandwiches, etc?

I don't have a fast food restaurant, but I was thinking it would be cool if websites for fast food restaurants told you the maximum wait time for your food. Or even the maximum delivery time if you were ordering delivery.

Mike