Panera Bread Restaurants are getting rid of 50 % of their menu.. in April...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My belief is to let management know that you are unhappy. Doesn't have to be done angrily. But the more often they are told it isn't right, the more likely the upper management will hear and hopefully do something about it.
Popular opinion does count .... usualldy.

I have the same issue. Although I don't really consider it to be an issue, since I don't need the extra sodium anyway. But as I've gotten older, my taste buds just don't 'accept' the overly salty foods anymore.

One of my guilty pleasures, that I allow myself to have once a week on Sunday, is potato chips. I love Lay's. I started buying the lightly salted ones several months ago. And since I've gotten used to those, the regular Lay's are way too salty for me now.

I like the lightly salted Lay's wavy chips, and the Kroger brand is good, too -- and cheaper. Kettle Brand has unsalted potato chips, which are good with dips, but pretty bland by themselves. HEB here sells unsalted tortilla chips that are very good. I use those to make nachos.

CD

I like the lightly salted Lay's wavy chips, and the Kroger brand is good, too -- and cheaper. Kettle Brand has unsalted potato chips, which are good with dips, but pretty bland by themselves. HEB here sells unsalted tortilla chips that are very good. I use those to make nachos.

CD
I like the wavy ones too, but the classic style is my favorite.

I buy the Kroger brand chips now and then. But I still don't like them as much as I like Lay's. Which is unfortunate, since Lay's, for the "party size" (which is the one I always buy so they last me a while) is sometimes nearly $6 a bag. And the "party size" isn't as big as it used to be. It's only 12 ounces or so now.

Unsalted tortilla chips for nachos is a good idea. I don't eat tortilla chips that much, but I do occasionally like a snack of tortilla chips and the Pace Picante. Best stuff ever.

Unsalted tortilla chips for nachos is a good idea. I don't eat tortilla chips that much, but I do occasionally like a snack of tortilla chips and the Pace Picante. Best stuff ever.

We will have to agree to disagree on Pace, IMO one of the worst salsas on the market. My favorite is Mateo's Hatch Chili.

Walmart stores in Ohio carry Mateo's Gourmet Salsa. Try a jar and see what you think.

I make my nachos in a way that is based on the original nachos from Victory Club bar in Piedras Negras, Mexico. This preparation is too labor intensive for chain restaurants, so they use the "pile and dump" method, where you end up with half the chips having zero toppings.

Here's how I make mine...

1711837354953.jpeg

CD

Last edited:
We will have to agree to disagree on Pace, IMO one of the worst salsas on the market. My favorite is Mateo's Hatch Chili.

Walmart stores in Ohio carry Mateo's Gourmet Salsa. Try a jar and see what you think.

I make my nachos in a way that is based on the original nachos from Victory Club bar in Piedras Negras, Mexico. This preparation is too labor intensive for chain restaurants, so they use the "pile and dump" method, where you end up with half the chips having zero toppings.

View attachment 68665

CD
I will definitely see if I can find that salsa. But I still love my Pace. However, I don't like the Pace salsa. I get the picante. Just tastes different to me.

And I like my nachos the same way, if I'm making them at home. I do one chip at a time rather than dumping everything on top. Those look good! I always add a bunch of diced onion to each chip as well.

View attachment 68665

CD
These are basically canapes CD - what's the recipe please? (I can't replicate exactly in the UK, but I want to make them!)

The sign out front says, "Panera Bread", not "Panera Sandwich Shop" or "Panera Soup and Salad" or "Panera Bistro" or "Panera Cafe", just "Panera Bread" and that is what they should be concentrating on.

intro-1667505519.jpg

I quit going there when I went in for a loaf of sourdough and they said they only had one loaf left and that was for sandwiches in the restaurant, so I was S.O.L. Now I live in San Diego, we have Boudin Bakery, they have a starter that dates back to 1859, and they never run out of sourdough, EVER!
Sourdough is now on their discontinued list for April.

We like Panera. I don't think they've gotten "too big for their britches". It's silly assume their name limits their offerings. Businesses in the food industry are always changing their offerings, their hours, etc.

Recent years have put a huge strain on the restaurant industry in general. It's not a stretch to assume Panera was also impacted. They sell bread products that are extremely short-lived. So they bake quantities based on experience. They don't hold fresh breads/rolls/muffins/bagels for the next day. They donate them every night to a food pantry/soup kitchen to feed the needy.
I don't even like their pastries, but I do like just the muffins and the chocolate chip cookies..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom