Marathon Monday Dinner - 4/16/2018

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tenspeed

Executive Chef
It's Patriots Day, and time for the 122nd Boston Marathon, with 30,000 runners participating and over a million spectators watching. Temperatures are in the very low 40's, with rain and 25 mph winds, so I'll be staying inside.

For dinner I'll be taking a cue from Rocklobster - chicken and asparagus in some kind of lemon sauce. I'll have to scrounge the internet for some suggestions.

At the moment it is, “Rain, wind and flood warning Oh My!”.

I took out a turkey breast to thaw. If all goes well it should be roasted (maybe smoked in stove top smoker) turkey breast, stuffing, mashed sweet potatoes (maybe), steamed asparagus (maybe green beans also) and gravy.

If that doesn’t work out it could be the chicken (if not used will go in freezer) and string beans meal no one wanted me to make last night.

I'll be having a smothered Carne Asada burrito, copycatted best I can from my fave tiny little Mom and Pop Mexican restaurant. Flour tortilla filled with rice, refried beans, chopped carne asada (I had some in the freezer), diced Spanish onion, and cilantro. Topped with a good amount of Herdez salsa verde, and maybe some pico de gallo.

Well I deboned the whole turkey breast and cut it so I have 2 split turkey breasts. They are in the oven roasting.

I also made some cherry cheese Danish which cooling and awaiting to be drizzled.

Pictures later.

Last edited:
Went freezer diving and found a package with some chicken tenders, some rice and some broccoli. Stir Fry! added some red peppers (frozen), fresh mushrooms, couple of thick slices of zucchini, some celery, a scallion...

should really have been for two but wasn't... burp.. (sorry, fuzzy)

Attachments

• DSCN5914.jpg
    DSCN5914.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 114
I'll be having a smothered Carne Asada burrito, copycatted best I can from my fave tiny little Mom and Pop Mexican restaurant. Flour tortilla filled with rice, refried beans, chopped carne asada (I had some in the freezer), diced Spanish onion, and cilantro. Topped with a good amount of Herdez salsa verde, and maybe some pico de gallo.

Delish, but I could only eat half - the rest will be gently warmed for breakfast tomorrow. :)

Attachments

• smothered burrito.jpg
    smothered burrito.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 109
Lovely looking dinner and dessert Joey.

Craig marinated some chicken thighs yesterday in tequila, lime juice, honey, and possibly some other things, then grilled them. He also made a green sauce with roasted tomatillos and poblano chilis, onions, garlic and ??. Today he shredded the chicken, made guacamole, black beans, pickled red onions, and toasted some flour tortillas, as well as mixed the shredded chicken with red bell slices and onions, and sauteed. Soft chicken tacos and black beans were dinner. No pics tonight because it smelled too good and we were hungry. Maybe tomorrow since we have leftovers.

Dessert was encapsulated pina colada over pineapple and coconut snow with marschino cherry foam. This was first foray into molecular gastronomy. It's not perfect but a pretty good first try.

Attachments

• 2018-04-16 19.24.59.jpg
    2018-04-16 19.24.59.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
OMGosh....I SO want some of Joey's and MsM's cherry cheese desserts! I'm dying here thinking about those goodies....:yum:

I used the chicken leftover from last night’s roast to make a creamy Parmesan rice dish. SO made a batch of golobkis for herself.

s&p, I see you posted you dinner in order of importance. ;)

on the Road again...... Never ending cycle. Looks like Texas road house in Grove Port OH.
GA, if you have the time to run into Columbus, head to Schmidt's Sausage Haus for a meal. So Good! :yum:

I tried a recipe from last month's Southern Living: Bacon-Hash Brown Quiche. It sounded interesting, using hash browns for the crust instead of the standard pastry crust. When Himself took the first bite, all I heard was a groan and "OH, is this GOOD!". Yup, it's a keeper. Most of the recipes I've cooked from my Southern Living magazines are. It's the main reason this northerner subscribes to it. ;)

Attachments

• 20180416_202310.jpg
    20180416_202310.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 98
Dinner was roasted turkey breast, stuffing, pan gravy, cranberry sauce, steamed asparagus topped with parm reg and pecorino romano.

turkey_dinner_041618_IMG_4029.jpg

I had bold plans, but ran out of daylight, so I'll try again tomorrow. For tonight, grazing on crackers, cheeses fruits and veggies.

CD

What wonderful dinner pictures tonight!

It's been windy and chilly so soup was on the menu tonight. I've had some frozen chicken tortellini for who knows how long, so I did some chicken veggie lemon creamed soup with them. Good eats.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom