"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 06-19-2013, 10:52 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebLynn View Post
It's nice to have all these recipes in one place. I will pull some of these. I can't make a good meatloaf to save my life. It's always either dry or tasteless. It's such a shame because meatloaf is one of my favorite things!
Don't despair DebLynn. I make such a mess of meatloaf that even a starving junkyard dog won't eat it. So now Spike makes it and he makes me a small one. Meatloaf is also my favorite. My daughter made me one for Mother's Day. Next year is my 75th birthday and my daughter wants to throw me a bash. She asked me what was my favorite meal. When I said 'meatloaf' she told me, "Ma I can't serve meatloaf to more than 100 people." It sounded like a good idea to me. Who doesn't like meatloaf?

Old 06-19-2013, 11:03 PM   #22
Senior Cook

This is one meal I will not allow to be made in my house. Why, you ask? I'll tell you my horrible story!

My mother was a horrible cook. I didn't even know that I liked steak until I was 18 years old because her cooking was so bad.

She use to make BOILED meatloaf, yes, I said BOILED. She'd take hamburger, mix in eggs, onions, green pepper & crushed up saltine crackers then brown it on both sides in a frying pan. Once it was browned she would fill that frying pan up with water & boil it until the water evaporated. The smell of meatloaf still gags me to this day.

She would make mashed potatoes with it & she made them at every meal, every night of the week. To this day I still don't like them too much either. I'll eat potato filling a few times a year and maybe mashed once a year, that's it.

She would also serve canned asparagus with it. YUCK. I never even realized veggies came any way but from a can until I grew up.

Old 06-20-2013, 02:19 AM   #23
Cook

Any discussion about mealoaf is not complete without this recipe. I've made it many times, and it is good.

'ol Man Jim's Smoked Meat Loaf Recipe - Food.com - 415056

It was first posted on the Virtual Weber Bullet many years ago.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:27 AM   #24
Senior Cook

I like to use dry onion soup mix for flavor in meatloaf. Combine soup mix, an egg, and some water, to toasted breadcrumbs from the oven .[Panko or regular]. Also garlic powder, black pepper,and ketchup, mix all this with ground turkey[or what have you]. Egg binds everything together, and it comes out tasty and moist.Sometimes I use dry mushroom soup mix mysterychef
Old 06-20-2013, 07:31 AM   #25
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahoymatey2013 View Post
This is one meal I will not allow to be made in my house. Why, you ask? I'll tell you my horrible story!

My mother was a horrible cook. I didn't even know that I liked steak until I was 18 years old because her cooking was so bad.

She use to make BOILED meatloaf, yes, I said BOILED. She'd take hamburger, mix in eggs, onions, green pepper & crushed up saltine crackers then brown it on both sides in a frying pan. Once it was browned she would fill that frying pan up with water & boil it until the water evaporated. The smell of meatloaf still gags me to this day.

She would make mashed potatoes with it & she made them at every meal, every night of the week. To this day I still don't like them too much either. I'll eat potato filling a few times a year and maybe mashed once a year, that's it.

She would also serve canned asparagus with it. YUCK. I never even realized veggies came any way but from a can until I grew up.
Do you eat meatballs?
Old 06-20-2013, 08:00 AM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebLynn View Post
It's nice to have all these recipes in one place. I will pull some of these. I can't make a good meatloaf to save my life. It's always either dry or tasteless. It's such a shame because meatloaf is one of my favorite things!
One important detail to remember is to use a higher fat beef for meatloaf - at least 15% fat. Otherwise, it will be dry. And if it's tasteless, add more seasoning next time
Old 06-20-2013, 03:04 PM   #27
Senior Cook

Addie, I'm glad I'm not the only one. Misery loves company.

Boiled meatloaf doesn't sound good at all. It might just be almost as bad as my meatloaf!

GotGarlic, I do always buy very lean ground beef. I should try a higher fat content- never thought of that, thanks.

Its really odd, because my meatballs are really good. I like it when it gets the crusty outside. My mom used to make a good meatloaf with horseradish and dijon mustard as the main flavorings and that was really good. I missed out on the meatloaf gene I guess. I'm so jealous of all of you who can whip up a good meatloaf on a whim with whatever you ingredients you have. I have to wait until we go out to eat to enjoy it.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:48 AM   #28
Everymom

Andy, that was a winner! We'll do that one again.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:28 PM   #29
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Andy, that was a winner! We'll do that one again.

I'm glad you liked it. Did you do the second recipe I posted?
Old 06-27-2013, 01:57 PM   #30
Executive Chef

I don't really have a recipe for meatloaf. I just mix up what I have usually with ground beef. It always turns out different, but always gone at the end of the meal. One of my favorite experiments was when I used salsa in my meat loaf. It really gave it a good flavor and I didn't cut up any veggies because the salsa had onions, tomatoes, peppers, etc. already. I always have some sort of ground meat, some sort of filler ( bread crumbs, cracker crumbs, rice, or even oatmeal), eggs as a binder, various spices, something tomato based ( ketchup, salsa, bbq sauce, tomato sauce, tomato soup, or whatever is available), and veggies. No recipes handed down from parents or grandparents even though meatloaf was served often.