Must be Monday, it's octopus! dinner 06/18/12

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Harry Cobean

Executive Chef
found an octopus in the freezer(don't worry i did put it there last winter to tenderise & forgot it!)thaw it then going to boil it for an hour in unsalted water with onion,celery,parsley & star anise.the recipe calls for fennel but i haven't got any,so hey ho!
remove,chop into chunks,throw away the innards,beak,eyes & skin the chunks.
scrape & boil some small waxy new potatoes such as charlottes 'til only just done,when cooled mix the spuds in a bowl with the octopus,some pureed garlic,chopped parsley,chilli flakes,lemon juice,evoo,salt & black pepper.
cover & zap in the microwave for 15-20 seconds to bring up to room temp:yum:!
had a similar dish once when i was on holiday in coralejo on fuertaventura then i saw the recipe in a sunday paper food magazine,brought back memories so......

Harry, Buon Giorno,

I love pulpo however, in all honesty, it is best to learn from the Galicians
as they are the experts on how to tenderize ...

Octopus: Pulpo al Gallego with La Vera smoked cayenne paprika called Pimentón and Evoo with boiled potato served on a wooden round plate ...

1 hour, that is all ? How many kilos does this baby octopus have ?
Seems too little time.

Ciao, Kindest.
Margi

Harry, Buon Giorno,

I love pulpo however, in all honesty, it is best to learn from the Galicians
as they are the experts on how to tenderize ...

Octopus: Pulpo al Gallego with La Vera smoked cayenne paprika called Pimentón and Evoo with boiled potato served on a wooden round plate ...

1 hour, that is all ? How many kilos does this baby octopus have ?
Seems too little time.

Ciao, Kindest.
Margi
it's about 1kilo.the recipe is from russell normans new "polpo" cookbook.he has a few restaurants two of which are in london-polpo & polpetto.he says the technique is used by mirella at alla vedova in cannaregio,apparently one of the top 20 bacari in venice,so i think i'll stick with the recipe margi
ciao
harry

Last edited:
Nothing so exotic as octopus at my house. While I could probably eat it okay, there are some things that I refuse to handle myself. If it still looks too much like an animal I have problems. Guess that comes from watching my grandma kill chickens on the farm and being scared to death of the headless things running around and the mouth still trying to caw.

I'm thinking pork chops. I need to stop and get milk today so will pick up a package of chops and have that with corn pudding and maybe green beans or asparagus.

All I know is whatever we have for tonight's meal it HAS to be something made with zucchini. Glenn's son brought us a bag of fresh zucchini from his garden a few days ago and one of the zucchini is about the size of Texas.

I'm leaning toward stuffing the critter and having a salad along side. Kenneth also brought two bags of fresh romaine, so we're veggied up!

Does anyone have any yummy stuffed zucchini recipes? I'd be receptive to any and all.

We are in the seafood aisle, but a little less exotic than octopus I am afraid.

For main meal/lunch I am making salmon patties - gluten/soy/dairy free! But they taste really good! I am serving an avocado salad with 50/50 mix spring greens and baby spinach, tomato, carrots and mixed raw seeds and nuts. Blue cheese dressing for me, vinaigrette for DH!

Lighter meal will be tuna sandwiches, raw veggies and apples for DH to take to work and the rest of the pasta salad from the banquet Saturday and Kade's mushroom for sure!

For those that remember, the pasta salad is Kitchenelf's Mom's Macaroni Salad recipe! It gets used a lot around here! :yum:

Nothing so exotic as octopus at my house. While I could probably eat it okay, there are some things that I refuse to handle myself. If it still looks too much like an animal I have problems. Guess that comes from watching my grandma kill chickens on the farm and being scared to death of the headless things running around and the mouth still trying to caw.

I'm thinking pork chops. I need to stop and get milk today so will pick up a package of chops and have that with corn pudding and maybe green beans or asparagus.

We are in the seafood aisle, but a little less exotic than octopus I am afraid.

For main meal/lunch I am making salmon patties - gluten/soy/dairy free! But they taste really good! I am serving an avocado salad with 50/50 mix spring greens and baby spinach, tomato, carrots and mixed raw seeds and nuts. Blue cheese dressing for me, vinaigrette for DH!

Lighter meal will be tuna sandwiches, raw veggies and apples for DH to take to work and the rest of the pasta salad from the banquet Saturday and Kade's mushroom for sure!

For those that remember, the pasta salad is Kitchenelf's Mom's Macaroni Salad recipe! It gets used a lot around here! :yum:
orrrr,c'mon guy's give octopiddle a go,even in a large family everyone gets a leg....ok an old one i know,but then,so am i:wacko:!
oddly enough jabbur,i think that had the opposite effect on bolas & i.we grew up in the country with chickens,ducks & geese sharing the paddock with our ponies.we used to kill the chickens etc ourselves.the problems started when we started naming them after relatives.i mean,who would volunteer to wring uncle maury's or auntie sadie's neck:ermm:!!
sorry,harry's off on a tangent again,back to you guy's & monday night dinner!

orrrr,c'mon guy's give octopiddle a go,even in a large family everyone gets a leg....ok an old one i know,but then,so am i:wacko:!
Don't get me wrong, Harry! I have cooked and eaten Octopus and don't mind it at all. It was just that I have been promising DH salmon patties for awhile ;). He actually really loves octopus sushi!

I'm not saying I wouldn't eat it. I love calamari so I imagine octopus is not a whole lot different. Just don't ask me to cook it! It's one of those foods that is better left in another cook's hands IMO. I'd not do it often enough to become good at it.

Harry,

Spain is playing Croatia for the European Cup, so we are out for wine and tapas ... Maybe some squid or prawns to pick on ...

Well, I am sure Bolas is all geared up for Croatia !

Ciao,
Have nice evening.
Margi.

Buonasera, Jabbur,

I love octopus and squid or Calamari, however, the taste profile is quite distinct --- the texture, has a comparison yet, also quite different ...

Ocotopus has very thick bland arms and is not particularly slippery in texture due to its very thick tentacles; however, squid is slippery and finer ...

Also, of course squid can cook up fairly quickly depending on the size of the squid and type ... Calamari is a bit different than squid --- it is related however, a different breed with a different Latin Name.

Have nice evening,
Ciao, Margi.

Harry and Laurie LPB,

Now Octopus Sashimi and Squid Sashimi sound divine ... However, Spain is playing Croatia, so not tonight ...

Japanese on for Friday evening with friends, sounds wonderful.

All my best, Ciao.
Margi.

It is hot here. I have 12 l of fresh from the strawberry patch strawberries. I'm thinking a swiss chard (baby leaves) - strawberry - toasted almonds salad dressed with poppyseed dressing...

Must be Monday, cause it's leftovers here. :)

The girls took me out for Indian last night and, as usual, our eyes were bigger than our stomachs. So we have a fridge full of Biryani, Lamb Balti, and Chicken Makhani. An assortment of Naan as well. Plenty for tonight's meal.

orrrr,c'mon guy's give octopiddle a go
I absolutely love octopus sushi. :yum:

:ohmy:Harry, there isn't much in the squid/octopus/cuttlefish family that I don't like.:LOL: But, there are some squid (Humbold) and octopus (giant) that I'm not sure who is after whom in the water.:ermm:

All I know is whatever we have for tonight's meal it HAS to be something made with zucchini. Glenn's son brought us a bag of fresh zucchini from his garden a few days ago and one of the zucchini is about the size of Texas.

I'm leaning toward stuffing the critter and having a salad along side. Kenneth also brought two bags of fresh romaine, so we're veggied up!

Does anyone have any yummy stuffed zucchini recipes? I'd be receptive to any and all.

I made stuffed zucchini over the weekend. Came out great :) Just veggies and cheese in this one, but you could add browned, drained sausage to add some protein. I just posted the recipe: Grilled Stuffed Zucchini Boats

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom