New Year's Eve 2016, what are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
We are going to break-in the new fondue stuff. I'm working on rustic white and pumpernickel breads for the cheese fondue that will be a mixture of gruyere, raclette and fontina. We'll also have carrots, fingerling potatoes and mushrooms for the cheese and the main courses. Mains will be beef tenderloin, shrimp and chicken. Dipping sauces will be a horseradish sauce, a garlic aioli, and some king of Asian inspired sauce. Mains will be cooked in a court bouillon. Dessert will of course be chocolate, semisweet, cream and a bit of merlot. We have strawberries, a banana, and I'll make a pound cake when I'm ready to bake the bread.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

I just opened the latest Amazon Prime delivery ;) A Javelin instant-read thermometer. Yesterday, after he told me earlier he could not find a new battery for my old one, he found a battery. And extras. Now I have to decide whether to send this one back. I don't wanna! :cry:

Oh, for food? Oops ;) I'm making deviled eggs with crabmeat and Old Bay seasoning for a neighborhood progressive party. Apps and entrées at one house and dessert and bubbly at another across the street.

We are going to a late afternoon movie, mostly because that is the time they are showing Miss Peregrines Home for Wayward Children at the n'brhood theater. Stopping on the way home for some Vietnamese eggrolls, because we like'em.

I offered several dinner choices to make including Chicken piccata (Never made, never had), a tetrazzini, a kielbasa/sauerkraut/potato dish with mustardy cream sauce (new sauce recipe). Dx chose one of her summer grilling fave's made today as Baked chicken teriyaki. I will put together the teriyaki sauce and marinate the chicken before heading out to the movie. We have veggies, broc carrots and more for a stir fry side dish. Rice. She was "too busy to talk on the phone, call you back" earlier this a.m., so I hope that means dessert.

We finally got our rib roast! They were sold out at first, and after calls and promises and several trips to the store, DH finally got a nice two-rib, 3 pound roast, though not for the sale price. I've never cooked one before, but will look for advice on the recent rib roast thread. The meat manager also gave us an informative brochure. As for sides, who knows.

I'll also try the reuben dip I found on the back of the Frank's kraut can.

I have already started counting down...I am so ready for 2016 to be behind me...crappiest year of my life (so far). This morning I had to take my parents' 17-year old Lab in to be euthanized (my Dad said he couldn't be there while the vet euthanized her--me, I don't think anyone, whether human or an animal, should die alone and should die in the arms of s/one who loved them best). I held her tight and told her we loved her best. And that my brother was waiting for her (and to tell him I am still mad at him for dieing). I wore my brother's Dale sweater...figured it was appropriate that a part of him was with me. My uncle is on the road--he should be here this afternoon. I don't know what I'm making, but I did pick up some more pickled herring, because we are in Minn-a-soooo-ta and one eats pickled herring on New Year's Eve. Got a venison roast thawing. Just soldering on...because that is the only choice I have.

Last edited:
I just opened the latest Amazon Prime delivery ;) A Javelin instant-read thermometer. Yesterday, after he told me earlier he could not find a new battery for my old one, he found a battery. And extras. Now I have to decide whether to send this one back. I don't wanna! :cry:

DD got me a Javelin instant-read thermometer for x-mas. I love it!! KEEP IT!

Making salads and dip to go along with cold cuts.

I need to take DD to work and will have hub pick her up at 10pm. Then I will be home and out of the line of fire.

Beef stew in the pressure cooker. I wasn't impressed with my first batch, which I attributed to the cut of meat I used (top round). I picked up some boneless short ribs today, and I'm hoping for an improvement.

Beef stew in the pressure cooker. I wasn't impressed with my first batch, which I attributed to the cut of meat I used (top round). I picked up some boneless short ribs today, and I'm hoping for an improvement.

I buy a bottom round or rump roast when on sale and cut it up for stew.

I buy a bottom round or rump roast when on sale and cut it up for stew.
I followed a somewhat different recipe from a Cooks Illustrated pressure cooker cookbook, and it called for boneless short ribs. They aren't cheap, but they were really good. Moist, tender, and certainly flavorful. Really tasted like beef. I wouldn't want to feed a houseful of teenagers with short ribs, though. They would get the cheap stuff!

I'm hearing the fireworks going off from First Night (at least I'm hoping that's what I'm hearing), and I'm surprised that doggy isn't hiding under the bed.

Last edited:
I've slept through every New Years since before 2000, but lately I've been up anytime from 4am to 7am and sleep all the next day. So for once I may actually see a New Year's ring in.

Staying in tonight....Crappy weather, so we aren't going to a party we were invited to. Drinking beer...I have the pizza stone heating up in the oven. Going to do up two thin crusts. Have a gang coming tomorrow for a prime rib dinner..Not sure I'm going to make it to midnight. .I might get crazy and sleep in...

Just got home after a fun day at an indoor airsoft arena with my boy. DW isn't feeling well, so we may just stay home instead of going to the party.

Here's my boy in his loadout from today.

Attachments

• 1231161540.jpg
    1231161540.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 135
  • 1231161506a.jpg
    1231161506a.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 160
bucky, your young man is laying down on the job again. ;)

What kind of face protector is that? It looks like I can see his expression right through it. The bottom photo (will be left-hand when someone spins it for you) looks like a smile peeking through. The other picture looks like he's frowning. I'm guessing he was really excited to play, then either lost or was tuckered out when the fun was over.

BTW, you are one awesome Dad, and I don't use that "awesome" word often. You and he are building scads of memories for him to carry with him all the rest of his life. You da man!

I ended up flying solo to Loverly's friend's party. Himself wasn't feeling too good; he is having a hard time getting over his cold completely. Tonight I heard two other people say the same thing about their colds. The one guy said he didn't feel real again for almost six weeks. :ohmy: I sure hope Himself is better in the next few days.

He wasn't the only one who bailed tonight. It wasn't going to be many people to begin with - 10 at the most. We ended up halfway there. Plus a dog...a Beagle! Biscuit was the cutest thing. :heart: And oddly shaped. Every beagle I've ever seen is stocky built, with average or short legs. Biscuit was super-lean and had the longest legs I've ever seen on a beagle. Her doggy-mom said she might have a bit of some other dog. Don't remember the name, but I do remember that Gail said it was from the Coon family. I told Gail that Biscuit was a supermodel of a dog - lean, thin body and super long legs. I know for sure that she was a real sweetie.

We didn't make it to dessert, too full. We couldn't finish all our steak, chicken and veges either. I'll have to be a bit less generous with the portions next time.
37240-albums1041-picture6813.jpg

37240-albums1041-picture6815.jpg

The bread cubes for the cheese course.
37240-albums1041-picture6814.jpg

Back
Top Bottom