"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 12-27-2005, 11:51 AM   #11
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by buckytom
not sure yet if my bro and sil are going to babysit for us. wow! it'll be our first night out together, sans bambino, in almost 2 years.

i know we both want to go out for korean bbq, but that is a bit rushed, and we agreed that we want to really savor our evening. lots of courses, lots of glasses of wine, really slow it down and enjoy it. we may even have a conversation that doesn't include "get that out of your mouth" or "what's that smell? uh, oh, did you bring the wipes?".
Whenever we've had the chance to go out (once in a blue moon) we've spent the whole night talking about Aidan. It makes me wonder what we talked about before we had kids?!

Dh will be working on the first so we will probably make an appearance at our neighbor's party but have an early night. I might celebrate the countdown with Callum if he needs to be fed then.

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children. One of these is roots, the other, wings." http://aidancallum.blogspot.com/
corazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 09:03 PM   #12
Head Chef
What are we serving?

Beer! (Or wine, or both...) Is that really a surprise to anyone??

We're also making homemade pizzas to go with the beverages.

ronjohn55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 09:38 PM   #13
Cooking Links Contest Winner
Send a message via Yahoo to shannon in KS
My daughter has requested Reuben Dip (Sauerkraut, cream cheese, swiss cheese, corned beef) and chicken quesadillas. Oh, and a slew of Hilary Duff movies..... Need I say more?
shannon in KS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 09:39 PM   #14
Executive Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
You'll be shocked at what we have on New Year's Eve! I guess it's our Latin culture. Aside from appetizers spinach and feta puff pastry wraps, crab and salmon pate on puff pastry shells, spinach/feta stuffed mushrooms, we will be grilling some steaks and chicken, and potato salad, Spanish rice, charro beans and a green salad for sides - Spanish flan for dessert and lots of wine, champaign, tequilla (margaritas), Puerto Rican rum (piña coladas), whiskey sours, and Irish cream liquor.

Enjoy yourselves and Happy New Year! May it bring much joy and peace to your lives.
If you have much, give of your wealth. If you have little, give of your heart. - Arab proverb
Dina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 10:36 PM   #15
Sous Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to Erik
I'm working NYE, and NYD!!!!!!! Fun!!!!!!
Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 12:59 AM   #16
Master Chef
Baked "country style" pork ribs (just salt and pepper), collard greens cooked with a little chopped bacon and bacon grease, mashed boiled turnips and potatoes (2:1 turnips to potatoes and plenty of butter), and black eyed peas - cooked with smoked ham hocks to a mush, served over split, buttered, and toasted cornbread. Top that off with my DIL's bourbon pecan pie, a cup of coffee, and a football game.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Michael in FtW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 07:56 AM   #17
Head Chef
Our tradition is chili (actually Frito pie), sausage cornbread and whatever our guests bring. I may make cookies today to go with it.
It's good for the soul when there's not a soul in sight.

Trader Scott's Tiki Bar & Lounge
phinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 07:59 AM   #18
Executive Chef
Our dd and sil are cooking a pork loin on the grill and I don't know what else, but I'm taking a green salad. That is all she would let me bring. We will be home before dark.
Be an organ donor; give your heart to Jesus.
Exercise daily; walk with the Lord.
licia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 08:48 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire
well, we're not going out , so dw asked me to make something special to have after we put my boy in his cage for the night.
so, i'm gonna do stuffed lobster tails for an appy, then insalate tri-colore (endive, radicchio, arrugula) in a balsamic viniagrette, with dollops of goat cheese, applewood smoked bacon, and sunflower seeds. for the entree, i'm making a monkfish in saffron tomato broth, with a julienne of carrots and fennel. i'm not sure if i will serve the monkfish over cappelini, or do the pasta on the side, alio e oglio.

now i have to find candles, good wine to match, and a quick stop by victoria's secret for an unexpected present (it's actually for me. that is, for my eyes to feast, not to wear, silly... )
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 08:53 AM   #20
Master Chef
sure bucky, sure, not to wear

texasgirl is offline   Reply With Quote