"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 12-25-2004, 06:47 PM   #1
Sous Chef

New Year's Menu

What do you have planned?

Going to family potluck on New Year's Day. I'm baking a big fat ham and a couple of pumpkin pies.

New Year's Eve, I'll probably grill steaks, wet down the roof, turn on the sprinklers for a bit if it doesn't rain, and keep watch for fires caused by fireworks.

Old 12-25-2004, 07:01 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Don't know yet.

Old 12-25-2004, 07:16 PM   #3

Have just eaten as much as we could of an 18.5 lb turkey, with "the works"...after having had a huge roast of beef earlier in the week...

The sliceable remains are now in the deep freeze, prepared to go "home" with oldest son and daughter, with only a wing, a thigh, a couple "drumsticks" and sundry other scraps remaining to "snack on"...

Steak and perogies tomorrow, so will be ready to break out another (much smaller!) turkey on either New Years Eve or New Years Day, when its back down to just us few...

In the days of being together with the Grandparents, siblings, etc, NY Day was a day of a vast smorgasbourg of pickled fish, oysters, shrimp, a small smoked turkey, ham or roast beef, clam chowder, pickles,cheese, buns, salads, coffees of various sorts, Moose Milk and a generally all day come and go...

Sigh!

I envy You your Ham and Pumpkin Pies, Psiguyy! Make sure you snatch back the hambone and scraps for the ensuing pea soup!

Lifter
Old 12-25-2004, 07:40 PM   #4
Executive Chef

I think I will make Gumbo.
Old 12-26-2004, 09:21 AM   #5
Senior Cook

The family is requesting Hoppin' John. I might also splurge for prime rib since there's only 3 of us.
Old 12-26-2004, 09:29 AM   #6
Master Chef

we always have pork and sauerkraut. yum.........
Old 12-26-2004, 09:30 AM   #7
Executive Chef

I'm hosting the extended family's Hogmanay celebrations this year. (We take it in turns!).

Cold roast turkey
A ham
Steak pies (traditional, wouldn't be Hogmanay without 1 or 2)
Salads
Cold roast beef
Pickles
Snack things, like crisps, nuts etc
Coleslaw
Potato salad

Trifle
Black Bun
Clootie Dumpling
Shortbread
Fruit Salad

Lots and lots of alcohol Oh and about 10 rellies play the pipes.... it can be VERY noisy come 12 o'clock!
Old 12-26-2004, 09:36 AM   #8
Master Chef

[quote="Lifter"In the days of being together with the Grandparents, siblings, etc, NY Day was a day of a vast smorgasbourg of pickled fish, oysters, shrimp, a small smoked turkey, ham or roast beef, clam chowder, pickles,cheese, buns, salads, coffees of various sorts, Moose Milk and a generally all day come and go...

yum, lifter!

Lifter[/quote]
Old 12-27-2004, 10:24 AM   #9
Master Chef

Lifter, what is Moose Milk?!?!

Hubby and I will go out to eat on New Year's Eve. There's a wonderful little French/American bistro close by that has wonderful--and affordable food--even on NYE. We've made it our tradition. New Year's day will be a nice breakfast (probably eggs, bacon, English muffins and fruit), followed by munchies and hoagies mid-day. Dinner will be something easy and casual, probably chili. That way the guys don't have to get up from the family room! I'm thinking I'll make apple crisp for dessert.
Old 12-27-2004, 01:53 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
:D We'll be at a wedding in Virginia City Nevada... so no cooking
only eating and drinking and dancing. FUN FUN FUN!