"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 12-12-2004, 08:20 PM   #11

Can't recall too many "failures" its just who you invite, and how you host, to get the mixing going...

Our last "big" one was back home on the prairies, many years ago, about 75-100 attendees...

We pasted "names" on Avery labels on their backs as they came in...these "names" ranged from "Tom Thumb" (my 6'-5" 325 lb boss), to Lady Godiva, to Pierre Trudeau, Bugs Bunny, Winston Churchill, Queen Elizabeth II, well, you get the idea! Ficticiouis or factual identities that are recognizable...

Your "job", as a "guest" is to identify your "hidden identity"...you can only ask ONE question of any other person, and that question must be able to be answered "yes" or "no"...so you pretty much have to seek out and speak with every other person present, or traipse about with a joke stuck on your back...

Good food for snacking, and keeping the sobriety levels up..."punches" that are "virgin" for the drivers in the group...and some "games" at or of an "adult" level...check out the "Mensa Club"...as it interacts pretty good by this point...

A pretty good time for all, including the guest that came dressed as Santa!

Lifter

Old 12-12-2004, 09:17 PM   #12
Master Chef

What a laugh! We'd love it. What can you do with tons of cheese and wine (i profited by a case or so)? Just asked hubby, and he thought it would be a blast. where in WI are you? As you know, we can spit and hit Wisconsin, and the very best cheese in the US is made around here. give us a 'heads up' and we'll do it!!!

Old 12-12-2004, 09:27 PM   #13

OHHH man are you punching the wrong buttons!

I'm a Canadian!

Lifter
Old 12-12-2004, 09:43 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Send a message via Skype™ to MJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire
What a laugh! We'd love it. What can you do with tons of cheese and wine (i profited by a case or so)? Just asked hubby, and he thought it would be a blast. where in WI are you? As you know, we can spit and hit Wisconsin, and the very best cheese in the US is made around here. give us a 'heads up' and we'll do it!!!
I can bring some of the best cheese in the world, and some of the cheapest beer from Wisconsin lol! That would be a blast Claire. I just sent you a pm.
Old 12-13-2004, 05:20 AM   #15
Master Chef

Some of my best friends are Canadians .... like half my relatives were at one time. Whenever someone jokes about wetbacks and other illegal immigrants, my husband starts laughing. What is so funny? "Claire's family are a bunch of frost backs -- illegal Quebcoise from a generation ago." Beer, Canadian whiskey, and cheese are mother's milk. Come to thing of it, Pepere was a cheesemaker before he came to this country.
Old 12-13-2004, 06:54 AM   #16
Master Chef

I took the box from a case of wine, wrapped it in holiday style, and could have filled it 3 or 4 times. I'd say we've fed a family of 4 for over a week.

It's a lovely tradition that I'd forgotten for a half-dozen years. Many people over the years have come by even when they couldn't come to the party, just to drop off food. I don't give much money to charity for a myriad of reasons, so I try to buy extra food and give it. This party just resurects my knowledge of how good people are. It is very local (wherever I've lived, be it food in Honolulu, DC, Daytona or here) and you know that no one can cheat, or get rich, which is what happens with money. There simply isn't much you can do with a can of beans, bag of rice, or case of Enfamil besides consume it. Especially in a town this small.

Most everyone brought food for us to eat as well. Whose platter is that, anyway?