"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 01-02-2014, 03:36 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
I am definitely NOT a world class pastry maker but I find it's even worse if I've had a tiring or frustrating morning or a bad day at work or I'm feeling under par . I know to leave pastry alone then!
Yeah, I probably should have left it since I'm definitely feeling under par. But, I wanted tourtière and the pastry has never turned out that crumbly before. It's still better than when my pastry needed a steak knife to saw through it.

Old 01-02-2014, 05:35 PM   #32
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Yeah, I probably should have left it since I'm definitely feeling under par. But, I wanted tourtière and the pastry has never turned out that crumbly before. It's still better than when my pastry needed a steak knife to saw through it.

Old 01-03-2014, 06:14 AM   #33
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
I've not made golabki casserole before. Do you have a recipe?

The red/white for Valentine's Day sounds like a winner!

So do the meals that everyone made. I love holiday cooking....well, I love cooking.

There are probably as many recipes for cabbage roll casserole as there are cooks. He's a list! Just pick one that sounds good to you!

http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-...abbage,FF.html

My family loves my cabbage rolls, so I tried doing the casserole and it just wasn't the same as the cabbage rolls cooking for hours in the tomatoes and saurkraut.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:16 PM   #34
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
What a good idea. I love cabbage in all its forms and rarely buy it as a whole one is too much and you can no longer negotiate a half or a quarter of one with the greengrocer as you could years ago. I specially like the small pointed ones - called "Sweethearts" around here.

Did you stuff the leaves with a meat filling or a veggie one?

I have to admit to cheating with stuffed cabbage. Jane Grigson's veg book has a few recipes but the one I tend to follow is one given to her by a neighbour in France where, instead of all the faff with separating leaves etc., she layered the filling and the blanched cabbage in a big pot. No a "holiday" dish but good enough for an everyday dish.
I use a meat filling of beef with a bit of pork sausage. Other additions are rice, salt, pepper, onion, and tomato of some form. Roll them and slow cook them after covering with stewed tomatoes or just tomatoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
I was going to post the recipe, but apparently I already posted it almost exactly one year ago. Good thing I checked first.

Steve Kroll's Oyster Stew
Oyster stew may be on Sunday's menu! Thank you so much!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
There are probably as many recipes for cabbage roll casserole as there are cooks. He's a list! Just pick one that sounds good to you!

http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-...abbage,FF.html

My family loves my cabbage rolls, so I tried doing the casserole and it just wasn't the same as the cabbage rolls cooking for hours in the tomatoes and saurkraut.
My thought in looking them over was "It won't be the same."
Old 01-04-2014, 07:03 AM   #35
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
I use a meat filling of beef with a bit of pork sausage. Other additions are rice, salt, pepper, onion, and tomato of some form. Roll them and slow cook them after covering with stewed tomatoes or just tomatoes.

My Grandmother makes this, she calls it Lazy Golabki. I'll find her recipe and post it.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:23 AM   #36
Executive Chef

Quote:

My SIL taught me how to make them. My MIL made them with a lot of rice, and she didn't put them in the oven or roaster. She cooked them in tomato juice on top of the stove in a big soup pot. I didn't like them that way and neither did my husband, but her other boys still want it that way. When I make them it's either in my big turkey pan, or in the electric roaster, out on the porch and they cook for 4-5 hours. There is enough that the kids come over with big containers to take them home. I have never made just enough for dinner. I usually get about 50 - 60 cabbage rolls. My filling is ground beef, rice, parsley, and seasoned salt. I line the roaster with extra cabbage leaves. Then I put canned tomatoes and saurkraut over each layer. My BIL likes the cabbage from the bottom of the pan, and he calls it "cajunka" which is what they grandfather called it. I don't think that is a real Slovak word, but just means "junk." LOL
Old 01-04-2014, 11:24 AM   #37
Wine Guy

Quote:
Oyster stew may be on Sunday's menu! Thank you so much!!!
You're welcome!