"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
View Poll Results: How do you determine what each diner pays when you go out to eat as part of a group?
Each diner/couple pays an equal share 9 22.50%
Each diner/couple pays for exactly what they ate or drank 12 30.00%
Each diner/couple pays for approximately what they ate or drank 11 27.50%
One person pays the whole tab. 2 5.00%
Other (please explain) 6 15.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-26-2006, 05:03 PM   #31
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Chef_Jen Send a message via Yahoo to Chef_Jen
SIDE NOTE: LOl my husband just said..

"we never have this problem we have no friends.. thats the solution"

LOL

Old 07-26-2006, 05:08 PM   #32
Executive Chef

LOL Jen...maybe if you didn't travel all over the world every month, you'd be home long enough to make friends.

Old 07-26-2006, 06:06 PM   #33
Sous Chef

LOL well garth brooks has friends in low places and i have friends all over the world..

i cant help it if hes not a traveller lol

...... did i mention i was off to australia next
Old 07-26-2006, 06:41 PM   #34
Executive Chef

it depends

It's never all one way or the other. Usually we would split it evenly, regardless of who had what. Other times, if it's people we dine with often enough, we take turns picking up the check.
Old 07-26-2006, 07:20 PM   #35
Executive Chef

Are you going to visit anyone I know in Australia?
Old 07-26-2006, 07:22 PM   #36
Sous Chef

yes,Yes i am
Old 07-26-2006, 07:56 PM   #37
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drama Queen
If you chose to eat only 2 appies and a couple of glasses of wine, your tab could have equaled the same as everyone else's. I went to lunch yesterday with 5 other women. I had two appetizers and a Bloody Mary. Apps = 16.00. Bloody Mary = 4.75. My bill was a dollar more than the average at the table. In Michigan when we dine with our friends we split the check equally among the number of diners. In the West Coast we ask for separate checks. If you split the bill what can it cost you extra? So you pay a buck or two more for your dinner. The worst thing in the world to me is to have someone sitting at the table with a freakin' calculator figuring each diner's portion to the penny. That' so tacky. If you rally feel strongly about this and you know that you will eat far less than the rest of the group, ask for a separate check. Enjoy your friends and your lunch/dinner and don't sweat the extra couple of bucks. You can get them next time.

I agree! It's terrible to end the evening over mathematics, with pens, calculators or whatever. For me, it ruins a nice time. I clicked on the first option (dividing equally) because maybe one day you'll spend more and on the other day you'll spend less, so in the end, that's ok. But I'm fair enough to suggest that someone that just came for a drink is left out of the sharing.

For example, if we are in a group of 6 people, the check is 500 dollars, but Buckytom just stopped by for a drink or just ate a 8 dollar salad, we'll pay 100 bucks each and Buckytom will pay zero ;)
Old 07-26-2006, 08:03 PM   #38
Assistant Cook

Ps:

Obviously, if I invited someone, I'll grab the check.
And if I go with my husband and a female friend (or my sister, his cousin etc.), we pay the check and don't let the single woman pay.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:48 PM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by kats
For example, if we are in a group of 6 people, the check is 500 dollars, but Buckytom just stopped by for a drink or just ate a 8 dollar salad, we'll pay 100 bucks each and Buckytom will pay zero ;)
ok, so when and where should i meet you guys? is it ok if i get goat cheese and pignoli nuts, or at least a measly red pepper and anchovy on my salad?

hey wait a minute. i don't have to wash your cars or nothin', do i?
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 01:00 AM   #40
Head Chef

From my experience in Asia, only one person usually picks up the tab at social situations. Splitting the bill is tantamount to quibbling over money and that is an awkward situation best avoided.

Normally the most senior person (in financial or social status) would pick up the bill, either because he is expected to, or he feels compelled to. If there are 2 senior-ranked persons in the group, it is normal to see a bill-snatching contest. To avoid scenarios like this, some people normally just surreptitiously pay the entire bill at the counter before the other party gets wind of it.

If the dinner is among good friends, say 2 couples or 2 friends, still only one party would normally insist to pay. It's enough for the other party to mention something about paying the next time. Then it's up to them to grab the tab next time.

So I guess the soft rule in Asia (from what I can tell) is that the senior-ranked person is expected to pay while among good friends there's a certain quid pro quo.

The only time people split the bill is when say, people who work together are eating lunch together. This is not considered a 'social' situation therefore no one is expected to foot the entire bill. Each pays his own.