Saturday, 8.6.16, what's in your bowl or on your plate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
We are on a serious quest to clean out the freezers, 3 of them, side by side fridge, deep, and top on the porch fridge. So, tonight, andouille, butternut squash stew with corn, celery, onion stew/soup. Craig might pull out a piece of corn bread stuffing that got frozen from the last Turkey day but I'll pass on that cause it's already a pretty heavy dish for me.

Medtran is invited over to clean out my freezers too. They need it badly.

Sorry, you're on your own. It will take us several weeks to work on ours. We've become hoarders. LOL! We're on week 2 now and have just begun to make a dent in the side by side.

Last edited:
We are on a serious quest to clean out the freezers, 3 of them, side by side fridge, deep, and top on the porch fridge.

We need to do that, too. When we get home, I'm going to take inventory of the bottom freezer in the French-door fridge in the kitchen, and the top freezer in the old fridge and the small stand-alone freezer in the sunroom. Plus whatever is ready in the garden now.

For tonight, we're on our way home and we're spending the night in Winchester, VA, so we'll find something to eat there.

Have some nice green beans from my plants, so thinking I'll try Pioneer Woman's recipe:
The Best Green Beans Ever Recipe : Ree Drummond : Food Network

We'll just fill in with whatever else we find.

Medtran is invited over to clean out my freezers too. They need it badly.

Dawg, I've been doing green beans that way for years, but she needs her head examined if she only uses the bacon grease and not the bacon! :wacko:
That's good grub for sure!

I'm doing some thighs on the grill and maybe I'll do some of those green beans too! :yum:

Chicken breasts on the grill, marinated in Stonewall Kitchen's bourbon molasses barbecue sauce (good stuff!). Leftover potato and green bean salad and coleslaw on the side.

We are on a serious quest to clean out the freezers, 3 of them, side by side fridge, deep, and top on the porch fridge. So, tonight, andouille, butternut squash stew with corn, celery, onion stew/soup...

I think I need to do a freezer clean out too. The other day I tossed out of frozen andouille sausage dated in 2009. I thought it best not to include it in dinner plans.

No plans for dinner yet. We had pizza late in the afternoon. Not hungry yet.

Seems to be a trend here. We're "eating down" our freezers, too. Three here. Two refrigerator ones and one big upright. Barely making a dent but I'm seeing progress, which is encouraging.

Tonight's meal included some grilled beef medallions, fresh green beans and tarragon noodles, along with the usual iced tea. I had taken dessert out of the freezer (lemon-zucchini bars) but forgot it.

Oh, well, we'll have dessert tomorrow.

HA! My deep freeze is packed away in storage; not to be seen nor used until our new home is up and running.

I have Pesto filled Chicken Thigh Rollatini, my way...
along with a side of thick Spaghetti with a simple dress of EVOO, Garlic and grated Parm, oh and some dice heirloom Tomatoes from the Farmers Market we went to this morning.

Dawg, I've been doing green beans that way for years, but she needs her head examined if she only uses the bacon grease and not the bacon! :wacko:
That's good grub for sure!

I'm doing some thighs on the grill and maybe I'll do some of those green beans too! :yum:

In the south, we save bacon grease from breakfast and use it later for cooking ;)

Of course, the beans would be great with bacon, too. Just wanted to mention that she probably didn't make bacon and then not use it :)

No bacon :( just bacon grease. It really did give a nice flavor to the beans though. I did do them southern style, and cooked the heck out of them, longer than Ree suggested. Native Pennsylvanian DH approved.

Having been an upper midwesterner my whole life, I too have always saved bacon fat, as did my grandmother. Always have a nice big can of it in the fridge.

Last edited:
I save bacon fat in a can too, but if I'm making this lovely green bean dish I render up diced thick bacon, remove it and set aside for garnish at the end. It's really not a big deal to do that and make it special.

I forgot to put bacon on "the list." We're out. But this was old PA Dutch approved! Works for me!

I have many more beans to cook, will definitely put bacon on "the list"!

Last edited:
My Mom is Danish and she cooks like her Grandmother, who raised her...
BOIL the heck out of everything, I'm not part of that camp though ;)
I prefer the "crisp-tender" steaming approach to veg and then dress/garnish just before I serve. :yum:

So do I now generally, but I'm from the South where the ONLY acceptable way to cook veges, especially green beans, was boil them to death. Every once in a great while I'll get a craving for green beans cooked to death with a nice chunk of salt pork added.

Ohio born-and-bread (um, Daddy was a bread delivery driver ;) ), so I've never gotten into eating well-cooked beans, tomatoes, et al. Seem like toddler food to me. :ermm: Sorry. However, I DO cook the daylights out of collard greens when we have them. Still nothing mushy about them though.

Well, the steak I had set aside for stroganoff had died, so what to do with a pound of cleaned and sliced mushrooms? I dragged out my emergency jar of Alfredo sauce, sauteed the mushroom, and we had fettuccine alfredo, along with a salad. Fresh mixed fruit for dessert.

... we're on our way home and we're spending the night in Winchester, VA, so we'll find something to eat there.
Was it Bob Evans? :w00t: We've eaten at that one several times and it never disappointed. But if you're Catholic? The church in town will disappoint. We have never felt so unwelcome as the time we stopped there for Mass. Christians, bah. :glare:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom