"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-25-2011, 03:59 PM   #11
Senior Cook
 
Littlechef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 361
Tonight we are having a whole chicken cut up and marinated in teriyaki sauce and then grilled. On the side we'll have potato salad, corn on the cob, and a tomato salad.
__________________

__________________
Littlechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 04:05 PM   #12
Executive Chef
 
Rocklobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ottawa Valley, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,787
Making pizza for my wife and daughter tonight. I am going to clean up the leftover ribs and red beans from last night.
__________________

__________________
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 04:12 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
I've decided on grilled pork chops with BBQ sauce for the meat. I think that will go well with the salsa and I have an avocado I might grill again, too.
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 04:50 PM   #14
Executive Chef
 
justplainbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Eastern Long Island, New York
Posts: 4,206
Split green pea soup-
PEA SOUP (Split Green) with Boiled Ham Water
Dried split peas 3 lbs
Onions medium large 3 (diced)
Garlic 3 cloves minced
Oregano, dried 1 1/4 tsp
Thyme, dried 1/2 tsp
Bay Leaf, dried 2
Ham Bone w/meat 1 to 2 lbs
Ham Cooking Water 6 quarts
Bring to boil. Simmer covered button 3 (medium) for 1 hr, button 2 for 2 hrs. Uncover remove meat from bone.
Add meat and simmer uncovered stirring to reduce, button 3 for 15 min; button 2 for 30 min. button 1 for 15 min.
Do final stir and cover to let cool 1 1/2 hours.
Yields about 13 pints
__________________
justplainbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 05:10 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill
Split green pea soup-
PEA SOUP (Split Green) with Boiled Ham Water
Dried split peas 3 lbs
Onions medium large 3 (diced)
Garlic 3 cloves minced
Oregano, dried 1 1/4 tsp
Thyme, dried 1/2 tsp
Bay Leaf, dried 2
Ham Bone w/meat 1 to 2 lbs
Ham Cooking Water 6 quarts
Bring to boil. Simmer covered button 3 (medium) for 1 hr, button 2 for 2 hrs. Uncover remove meat from bone.
Add meat and simmer uncovered stirring to reduce, button 3 for 15 min; button 2 for 30 min. button 1 for 15 min.
Do final stir and cover to let cool 1 1/2 hours.
Yields about 13 pints
Mmmm. Love split pea soup. I make mine on a smaller scale, in the slow cooker. Same basic ingredients.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 05:33 PM   #16
Executive Chef
 
justplainbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Eastern Long Island, New York
Posts: 4,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Mmmm. Love split pea soup. I make mine on a smaller scale, in the slow cooker. Same basic ingredients.
It's nice to have a coupla three or four quarts in the freezer and a shame to throw out all of the eight or so quarts of water required to boil a ten pound half of smoked ham. Goes great with croutons made from white bread cubes fried in olive oil and garlic.
We pre-soak the ham in chilled plain water for 1 to 2 hours to draw out some of the saltiness, discard the soaking water and add fresh water (99 cents per gallon) for the cooking of the ham.
__________________
justplainbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 05:49 PM   #17
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Cape Coral Florida
Posts: 440
Beef bourguignon
__________________
Burrowing Owl Brewery----Better things for better living...Through Debauchery and Inebriation
niquejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 05:53 PM   #18
Executive Chef
 
Rocklobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ottawa Valley, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
Making pizza for my wife and daughter tonight. I am going to clean up the leftover ribs and red beans from last night.
Half Peperoni, half Pep, mush, green pepper....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	005.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	11286  
__________________
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 05:56 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill
It's nice to have a coupla three or four quarts in the freezer and a shame to throw out all of the eight or so quarts of water required to boil a ten pound half of smoked ham. Goes great with croutons made from white bread cubes fried in olive oil and garlic.
We pre-soak the ham in chilled plain water for 1 to 2 hours to draw out some of the saltiness, discard the soaking water and add fresh water (99 cents per gallon) for the cooking of the ham.
Good point. I need a bigger freezer....
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 05:58 PM   #20
Executive Chef
 
justplainbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Eastern Long Island, New York
Posts: 4,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Good point. I need a bigger freezer....
Me too.
__________________

__________________
justplainbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.