Saturday Supper ~ 2-25-2017

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes that's pretty much it. Not related to "doggy bag" though. Actually I found a plethora of slang definitions, some slurs, some more what I intended.

What I meant is that a dog will go around and just eat whatever edibles it finds, not needing any theme or relationship, one thing at a time irrespective of what preceded or followed it.

I can understand that a Brit would consider it offensive, and I apologize for that. I hadn't been aware of the Brit slang before.

For me it would mean cleaning out my fridge for all the "this and that" left overs from the last few meals.

I think it is a great term, and I can really see myself using it in the future. I am surprised that I've never heard it before.

CD

Just consult the slang dictionaries before using, like I didn't.

Which reminds me, my poor dog died at 19 years old late last year. I never realized how I saved the most tasty tidbits of my dinners to feed him the next day.

It's funny how I seem to eat a steak from the outside in, leaving the most tender parts after I had my fill. I always enjoyed seeing him eat my tidbits the next day, augmenting his conventional dog food.

As a lark one time while he and I were camping, I fed him his normal canned dog food, and then tried a few spoons of his food out of the can myself. It wasn't bad at all! It tasted sort of good but not spiced.

I decided that if he and I ever got stranded I could live on canned dog food for a couple days with no big problem. Maybe heat it up a bit and salt it.

After that I never felt bad feeding him dog food, although he almost got meaty table scraps mixed in every day, my excesses of cooking more than I felt like eating.

That was 6 months ago and I find myself visiting the local animal shelters more and more often, and will probably find my next 4-footed lover by summertime. Imagine that though, adopted at 1 year old, lived to 19, we had 18 great years together. I'm pretty sure that 19 for a dog is a lot more than 100 years old for a human. We were together over a quarter of my life.

Last edited:
...By the way I like my hamburgers medium rare. Most restaurant menus now have health warnings that almost say if you order your hamburger anything other than medium well {their standard, prolly the gummint standard} that it may kill you and they are not responsible...
Probably the major chain restaurants. I think it's mostly a "CYA" kind of move on their part. From what we've seen at the better places, they will cook your burger however you want it. When we're back home in OH visiting the kids, we try to take a trip over to one of Michael Symon's B-Spot Burger restaurants. The beef is ground in-house from Pat LaFrieda-sourced beef, and It Is Excellent. :yum: They will cook it whichever way you want it, and they have been spot-on with getting the doneness right.

BTW, sorry about your dog. :flowers:

Oops, forgot to mention that we ended up with the Pork Stew for supper tonight. I really wanted to let it marry overnight, but I ran out of time and was needing a break from standing. Had I made the picadillo for tonight, we might just be eating now! :LOL: As it is, in spite of Himself having two bowls full of the stew, I have enough for another meal a few days from now. BTW, I used the entire pound of cremini instead of the called-for 10-oz, plus two lonely white mushrooms that wanted to go for a swim.

Attachments

• 2017-02-25 22.58.26.jpg
    2017-02-25 22.58.26.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 127
Just consult the slang dictionaries before using, like I didn't.

Which reminds me, my poor dog died at 19 years old late last year. I never realized how I saved the most tasty tidbits of my dinners to feed him the next day.

It's funny how I seem to eat a steak from the outside in, leaving the most tender parts after I had my fill. I always enjoyed seeing him eat my tidbits the next day, augmenting his conventional dog food.

As a lark one time while he and I were camping, I fed him his normal canned dog food, and then tried a few spoons of his food out of the can myself. It wasn't bad at all! It tasted sort of good but not spiced.

I decided that if he and I ever got stranded I could live on canned dog food for a couple days with no big problem. Maybe heat it up a bit and salt it.

After that I never felt bad feeding him dog food, although he almost got meaty table scraps mixed in every day, my excesses of cooking more than I felt like eating.

That was 6 months ago and I find myself visiting the local animal shelters more and more often, and will probably find my next 4-footed lover by summertime. Imagine that though, adopted at 1 year old, lived to 19, we had 18 great years together. I'm pretty sure that 19 for a dog is a lot more than 100 years old for a human. We were together over a quarter of my life.

Wow, 19 years even beats my last dog's life span of 17 years. Psycho-poodle is only six.

I tried a Milk Bone once, as a teenager. Hard and bland. My friend who is a dog show judge gives me all kinds of freebies. She gave me some dog ice cream, I think it was called Frozen Paws. My dog loved it, so I decided to take a taste. Wow, it was bad. Of course, I had to get my friends and family members to taste it. They really should know better by now.

CD

Last edited:
Every year near the holidays we used to have oyster stew, though I have no idea where our relatives found raw shucked oysters here in the midwest. Since it was my birthday, my dear son, drove to a fish market (hour away) and bought raw shucked oysters (exorbitant prices) for him and I. We had a delicious oyster stew to celebrate.

He also picked up a nice slab of smoked salmon, and then a corned beef ready to cook. These are his and my favorites. We cooked up the corned beef overnight, to have in the coming afternoon w/potatoes and cabbage. We'll be celebrating for a few days. It's such a pleasure to have a grown son that likes so much of the same things I like too. It was very sweet of him to buy all that.

Every year near the holidays we used to have oyster stew, though I have no idea where our relatives found raw shucked oysters here in the midwest. Since it was my birthday, my dear son, drove to a fish market (hour away) and bought raw shucked oysters (exorbitant prices) for him and I. We had a delicious oyster stew to celebrate.

He also picked up a nice slab of smoked salmon, and then a corned beef ready to cook. These are his and my favorites. We cooked up the corned beef overnight, to have in the coming afternoon w/potatoes and cabbage. We'll be celebrating for a few days. It's such a pleasure to have a grown son that likes so much of the same things I like too. It was very sweet of him to buy all that.

I'm so happy for you. It is so good to hear about people enjoying good food with people we love.

CD

Just a last comment: Although adopted, I loved my dog so much that I reconstructed a pseudo-birthday for him, and each year on his birthday I would cook him a steak (admittedly not a filet mignon) and cooked it medium rare, then chopped it up for easy doggy consumption. It was HIS day to have HIS steak birthday dinner!

Back
Top Bottom