"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 09-21-2014, 12:19 AM   #11
Head Chef

I'm gonna visit my local Trader Joes, check their meat department for bone-in, skin on chicken breasts, haha! Another store that you wouldn't think of when it comes to food is Smart 'N Final. Not as good as Trader Joes , but they're expanding their food section like you wouldn't believe. Unique food items like what Trader Joes has.

By the way, Smart 'N Final was started by two guys with last names of Smart and Final.

My Hawaiian chicken is thru cooking. Again, with all those pineapple chunks and veggies, it added a lot of moisture to the sauce. I'm going to drain that out into a sauce pan, heat it up and thicken it with arrowroot.

Also, next time...I'm going to use the lid and compress the pineapple chunks can and get as much juice out as I can.
A bit too much moisture in this dish still.

I'm going to set the casserole dish as is , in the fridge and correct the runny sauce for tomorrow nights dinner. The veggies are nicely done with still a bit of crunch to them. Runny sauce tho. This in turn seemed to have almost boiled the chicken.

Old 09-21-2014, 12:46 AM   #12
Head Chef

I took a taste test of the chicken while letting it cool to put in the fridge and it tastes delicious. It got nicely infused with flavor. I'm getting there with this recipe. Next try, I'm going to take into account how much moisture is added to cooking with the pineapple chunks and veggies. Probably not so much with the veggies as the juicy pineapple chunks. I'm gonna squeeze as much juice out of them as is possible next try. Put them chunks thru a grape wine press, ha.

EDIT: What I did just now was use a colander over a sauce pan, poured the entire contents of the casserole, chicken and all into it and now its draining into the saucepan.

I'll heat up the liquid, thicken it with arrowroot, return everything to the casserole dish and store if in the fridge and reheat it in the oven tomorrow night. The veggies are crisp and bright and flavorful. It smells wonderful and I learned a lot.

In fact, I may do this procedure as part of making this dish (draining the liquid and thickening it).

Old 09-21-2014, 01:15 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

the more you boil the liquid, the more it'll concentrate the flavour.

up to a point. when it smokes, you've gone too far.
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 01:28 AM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
the more you boil the liquid, the more it'll concentrate the flavour.

up to a point. when it smokes, you've gone too far.
Didn't go too far. What I did notice is that when the sauce was originally being made, adding the arrowroot during that process went fine, it thickened up nicely, no little white bits of arrowroot. However, when I went to thicken the sauce afterwards, just pouring the powdered arrowroot into the pan with heat caused it to not thicken as well as when I was making the sauce originally. Then I remembered that when thickening a sauce with arrowroot, you're supposed to make a paste out of it with a bit of cold water, THEN add it in. I did that and it thickened up nicely. If anything tho, it didn't concentrate the flavor, but dulled it a little. So, I must remember that when thickening a sauce after its cooked, you need to do the cold water paste thing with arrowroot to get success. It has to do with changes at the molecular level.

Anyways, the sweet and sour sauce is just a tad bit dulled, but I poured it back over the dish and it's going to be a delicious Sunday night dinner. Served over rice. What I'm pleased about is how bright and crisp the veggies are. When I made this dish originally with just a few pieces of green bell pepper, they cooked up dull colored and limp. The dish looks delicious now. I can't wait to enjoy it tomorrow evening.
Old 09-21-2014, 02:34 AM   #15
Assistant Cook

We were going to have stuffed peppers, but got distracted by a movie and didn't get around to cooking dinner until 9, at this point it was too late. We had (packaged) pumpkin and ricotta ravioli with sage and butter.
Old 09-21-2014, 05:56 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Easy one last night. Burgers with Cajun spiced potato wedges...
Old 09-21-2014, 09:29 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
I took a taste test of the chicken while letting it cool to put in the fridge and it tastes delicious. It got nicely infused with flavor. I'm getting there with this recipe. Next try, I'm going to take into account how much moisture is added to cooking with the pineapple chunks and veggies. Probably not so much with the veggies as the juicy pineapple chunks. I'm gonna squeeze as much juice out of them as is possible next try. Put them chunks thru a grape wine press, ha.

EDIT: What I did just now was use a colander over a sauce pan, poured the entire contents of the casserole, chicken and all into it and now its draining into the saucepan.

I'll heat up the liquid, thicken it with arrowroot, return everything to the casserole dish and store if in the fridge and reheat it in the oven tomorrow night. The veggies are crisp and bright and flavorful. It smells wonderful and I learned a lot.

In fact, I may do this procedure as part of making this dish (draining the liquid and thickening it).
Something else you could do is remove the lid sooner, or even try cooking it without the lid. This will allow the sauce to reduce while it's cooking. I would also make sure the breast is on top of the veggies so the skin will be exposed to the heat and crisp as it cooks. And veggies do release a lot of liquid as they cook.
Old 09-21-2014, 03:18 PM   #18
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Something else you could do is remove the lid sooner, or even try cooking it without the lid. This will allow the sauce to reduce while it's cooking. I would also make sure the breast is on top of the veggies so the skin will be exposed to the heat and crisp as it cooks. And veggies do release a lot of liquid as they cook.
Both ideas make sense. I might go half the time covered and half open. I'll put the chicken up top too next time. Thanks.

Tags
dinner