Thanksgiving Dinner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm not sure what we're having this year. It's usually my holiday to cook for both sides of the family but I'm taking a pass this year with the baby being due right around then. My mom has offered to cook for the 4 (well, 5!) of us and either bring it to us or we'll go across town to them. We're just in wait-and-see mode for now. I did make and freeze an apple pie to pop in the oven that day. My dad couldn't celebrate without my pie so I was happy to do it for him! :)

GB, I've always been curious about frying a turkey. I'd love to taste it but not make it. It just looks too dangerous!

PA Baker said:
I'm not sure what we're having this year. It's usually my holiday to cook for both sides of the family but I'm taking a pass this year with the baby being due right around then. My mom has offered to cook for the 4 (well, 5!) of us and either bring it to us or we'll go across town to them. We're just in wait-and-see mode for now. I did make and freeze an apple pie to pop in the oven that day. My dad couldn't celebrate without my pie so I was happy to do it for him! :)

GB, I've always been curious about frying a turkey. I'd love to taste it but not make it. It just looks too dangerous!

A lot of people get into trouble with the fryers, that's true. But, the reason is, putting too much oil in the pot. All you have to do the first time, put the the thawed turkey, still in the plastic, into the pot, fill with water until it covers the turkey. Take the turkey out and mark the water level on the inside of the pot. That will show you how much oil to put without it running over when you add the turkey.
The fried turkeys are so moist and juicy!! MMMMMM, now I want one:LOL:

Some grocery stores will fry them for you - if you really want one and don't want to do it yourself. I've never fried one, but have had them do it a few times.

Ishbel will clue you in to haggis, Doug. All Louisville basketball players should eat large plates of the stuff this winter before games.

DugDbold said:
I am amazed:ROFLMAO: No talk about the biggest food even of the year. Where are the chefs??? I'm looking for regional family recipes. What do yall [suthern for you all] fix on the T-Day?

I have to correct you DugDbold - I think you meant to say "What do ALL y'all fox on T-Day - :mrgreen:

I fix:

brined turkey
regular dressing
oyster dressing
broccoli casserole
sweet potato casserole
peas with rosemary and pine nuts
mashed potatoes
gravy
Frog Eye salad (or acini de pepi salad)
cranberry/shallot/Port sauce
green beans
corn

I'm probably forgetting something but I REALLY have to get some typing done now.

Kahlua pecan pie
pumpkin pie
something chocolate - like Slice of Sin

:LOL:
Wow! A true sutherner... I didn't think anyone would notice the syntax error...

But you are right in your examination. "All Y'all" is plural and "Y'all" is singular.

mudbug said:
Ishbel will clue you in to haggis, Doug. All Louisville basketball players should eat large plates of the stuff this winter before games.

Somehow I don't think this is a GOOD thing.:ermm:

We keep our dinner fairly simple. Mostly because there is only the four of us and we don't really need to eat all that food.

Turkey breast
Traditional stuffing
Cranberry relish (Mom's favorite)
Mashed potatoes and gravy (my favorite)
Yams with marshmellows (my dad's favorite)
Green bean casserole (my brother's favorite)
Fruit Salad
olives, pickles, etc
Pumpkin pie
And another dessert because I hate pumpkin pie:)

For appetizers we have:
shrimp dip
Hot artichoke dip
JD's Kielbasa
A meat and cheese tray
Variety of crackers
Salsa and tortilla chips

ROFL mudbug!!!!! That was pretty cute!

Acini di Pepi Salad (or Frog Eye Salad - frog eye because when the acini di pepi pasta cooks they look like frog eyes - sort of)

<li>1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
<li>1 (8-ounce) can crushed pineapple, undrained
1 (20-ounce) can pineapple chunks in its own juice, undrained
2 (11-ounce) cans mandarin orange segments, drained
1 egg, beaten
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 1/3 cups (8 ounces)Acine di Pepe Pasta, uncooked
3 1/2 cups (8 ounces) frozen non-dairy whipped topping, thawed and divided
3 cups miniature marshmallows
1/2 cup flaked coconut
Maraschino cherries (optional)

In medium saucepan, stir together sugar, flour and salt.
Drain pineapple, reserving juice to equal 1 cup. With whisk, gradually stir juice and egg into sugar mixture. Cook this mixture over medium heat, stirring frequently, until mixture comes to a boil and thickens somewhat. Stir in lemon juice. Cool mixture to room temperature.
Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Rinse with cold water to cool quickly; drain well. I drain this pasta in a colander through cheesecloth - these little pasta rounds will slip right through!! I have used a wire mesh strainer but it's still easier to get the pasta out with cheesecloth.
In a large bowl, stir together pineapple juice mixture and pasta. Cover; refrigerate several hours or overnight. I always refrigerate mine overnight.
Add crushed pineapple and chunks, oranges, 2 cups whipped topping, marshmallows and coconut; mix gently and thoroughly. Cover; refrigerate until cold.
This is one of the few holiday fruit salads I enjoy - it makes a TON so be prepared to give some away!!!

Thanksgiving

This year I will be providing & serving 2 meals for a local shelter. It's small but I intend to do the lion's share of the cooking by myself. I've been told to expect around 35 for the meal at noon & less than that for the 2nd meal at 5 PM. I really need to start thinking about the menu. Everyone who's replied to this thread has been a help (except for the haggis references :LOL: )

So, here's the plan so far:

TURKEY (3 or 4 decent sized ones), brined if I can manage it
Plain bread STUFFING ("filling" for the rest of you PA people!)
PARTY POTATOES (mashed potatoes with cream cheese & sour cream that are made ahead of time, dotted with butter & sprinkled with cheddar cheese, then baked).
GRAVY
SWEET POTATOES
BROCCOLI CASSEROLE
CORN CASSEROLE
CRANBERRY SAUCE
BUTTERMILK ROLLS
PUMPKIN PIE
COOKIES

Feels like I am missing a lot - anyone see any huge gaps that need to be filled?

Oh boy, let's see..

Appys
avocado dip and sliced baguettes
cold shrimp and a horseradish cocktail sauce,lemons
relish tray, stuffed celery,carrots,olives,green oinons,radishes
antipasto, salami, copa, mortadella with pistashios,proscuitto, focaccia, peppers, stuffed onions,...
lobster bisque
garbanzo beans, with evoo, parsley and garlic
homemade ravioli and sauce
roasted turkey with stuffing (dressing)
spiral cut ham, with brown sugar, oj, honey cinnamon and clove in melted butter for basting
artichokes with garlic,parsley, in evoo and butter
sweet potatoes mashed with butter
mashed potatoes with turkey gravy
creamed tiny onions
homemade rolls,
homemade cranberry sauce
chocolate pie, pumpkin pie, mincemeat pie, cheesecake, mini cream puffs...Neighbors are invited for dessert and coffee and after dinner drinks..They too will bring some type of dessert..
It's a warm, loving fun day...
kadesma

Sweet Potatos

All my life the Sweet Potatos at Thanksgiving were always in some kind of casserole. Pulped. Now that is ok but a little variety would be nice. This recipe my daughter found in Southern Living. [not taking credit for it]. It is quick to prepare and gives new life to the traditional sweet potato recipe at our house. This is now the new standard for T-Day

Roasted Fall Vegetables
Servings: 6
Roasted Fall Vegetable which get added flavor from ground ginger. Complement pork or poultry.
3 medium sweet potato, cut in 1/2" cubes
1 medium red bell pepper, cut in 1/2" pieces
1 medium sweet onion, chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon pepper
Coat 15 x 10 inch jelly roll pan with cooking spray. Place potatoes, bell pepper and onion in pan. Sprinkle evenly with salt, ginger and pepper. Toss until evenly coated.
Bake at 450 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
If mixture gets dry spray more cooking spray on top or add a few pats of light butter.

DugDbold said:
Whoa.. Kadesma, are you responding to Corinne or are you planning on fixing all of that for T-Day???

:ohmy:
Dug,
this is what we have every Thanksgiving...I don't do thiis alone, I have two grown daughters who help and one of my sons, who likes to pitch in, the sons in law put up tables and we start way ahead of time...It sounds like a lot and it is, but we've done it so long that it's second nature now:LOL: The ravioli will be made and frozen in a week or two,many of the things are done ahead, I do the cooking at my daughters home so it frees up my home for thiings I want to do alone, like hear myself think:ROFLMAO: ..It is a job, but, I'd hate to not do it...Everything is a combination of what my folks use to serve and what my husbands mom use to serve...makes us both happy.

kadesma:)

My daughters always bring appetizers...usually a cheese ball and some fresh vegies with dip. HB and I will be making a brined roasted turkey, giblit gravy, mashed potato casserole (with sour cream, cheese & butter), Best **** Corn Casserole (more butter & cheese), baked dressing (Dorothy Jean's chicken casserole) with oysters, Thanksgiving brussels sprouts, green bean casserole (I love it), store bought dinner rolls, crumb top apple pie, cherry pie with an almond crumb topping, and pumpkin pie with Cool Whip. I would love some sweet potatoes and cranberry sauce, but nobody else likes them, and I've quite going to the trouble.
The good thing about this menu, for me, is that I can fix most of it earlier in the week and just slap everything together at the last minute. I do like to bake my pies that morning, but I can prepare the fillings and toppings ahead of time. We don't eat until about 4:00-6:00, so I even have time to get my nap in. I have physical limitations that keep me from standing very long at a time, and I want to be able to enjoy my family without being in pain. They help me with all the last minute work, while having a beer or a glass of wine, which makes for good bonding.
I guess I have become the family matriarch. Goodness, that makes me feel old. It doesn't seem like that long ago that I was bugging my grandma to let me help peel the potatoes.

I'm cornfused... LOL

Not unexpected. So many messages, so little time. But at least the thread go a lot of us thinking. I'll go back and slowly read all of the messages. Seems like a lot of us have similar T-Day traditions. The menus vary but the idea seems to remain constant. Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue [ughh, I can't think of anything blue I want to eat].

Now I can drink a Blue Hawaian <spelling?>.

Back
Top Bottom