Thursday, 9/29 What's Cooking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zhizara

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I'm making a meatloaf with hamburger and ground sausage, using some leftover sausage cornbread casserole for the bread filler.

I like to make my meatloaf up early in the day so it can rest in the fridge until evening. This works especially well for dishes that "taste better the next day."

I've also got some shrimp marinating in garlic butter with dill. I'll maybe have some of that for lunch or save until tomorrow's dinner.

What are you cooking today?:chef:

I got the laundry done already, and the weather is so cool and gorgeous that
I’m going to start a pot of beans.

I have a smoked pork hock, and all my new sausages to add at the end.

½ # Pinto Beans
1 smoked pork ham hock

I’ll make this one with plain water. I want the flavors of the other smoked sausages to stand out.

I’ve got Andouille, Bratwurst, Alligator, Bar-S Smoked links, I even have ground hot sausage and ground regular sausage, but I think that would be overkill with the ham hock too!

I’ve already cooked up the link sausages, so all I have to do is slice each one and add them at the very last minute, just long enough to warm them up.

If there are leftovers, they will be awesome after sitting in the fridge all night.

Last edited:
I got the laundry done already, and the weather is so cool and gorgeous that
I’m going to start a pot of beans.

I have a smoked pork hock, and all my new sausages to add at the end.

½ # Pinto Beans
1 smoked pork ham hock

I’ll make this one with plain water. I want the flavors of the other smoked sausages to stand out.

I’ve got Andouille, Bratwurst, Alligator, Bar-S Smoked links, I even have ground hot sausage and ground regular sausage, but I think that would be overkill with the ham hock too!

I’ve already cooked up the link sausages, so all I have to do is slice each one and add them at the very last minute, just long enough to warm them up.

If there are leftovers, they will be awesome after sitting in the fridge all night.

Is this in place of the meatloaf, or is this food for another time?
You're really going to town if you are cooking everything you've mentioned :chef:

We had "?" the other day and it really hit the spot! How do you make yours?

Mine is pretty basic.

I slice a couple of eggplants and bread them, drizzle them with a little olive oil and bake them for about 25 minutes in a hot oven. Then I layer them in a pan with some marinara sauce, a snowy sprinkle of grated cheese and bake them at 350 until they are bubbly.

If it is a holiday or if I am having company then I put some mozzarella and some crumbled hot sausage in the casserole.

The eggplants are really nice in the farmers market right now!

It's clear the fridge night! Leftover pizza, cheesy burger mac, chicken sandwiches, chicken tacos. Pull it all out of the fridge and everyone make their own!

i just finished making thursday gravy (well, it's not sunday), but the earliest it'll be ready is 6 or 6:30, so i doubt dw will wait till then, let alone eat pork brasciole and sausage.

i'm sure she'll have something planned when she gets home from the pet food store.

The plan is:

Pork Chop
Baked Sweet Potato
Brussels Sprouts
Fried Granny Smith Apples

Grilled strip steaks. Steamed broccoli with Ann Burrels Bechamel sauce. Deep South Dish Perfectly Cheesy Potatoes au Gratin. For desert, Alton Browns Individual Peach Apple Upside-Down Cake (My first major ingredient subst. Wife doesn’t like peaches that much. I hope it works.)

Today I went and had the flu shot and I swear every year it seems as though it brings on some kind of cold afterwards... Never seems to fail - so I don't feel like cooking/preparing a meal today so our family will be having Chinese out of a bag :) It's a Voila Stir-fry... Think it's Sweet & Sour Chicken so hopefully it's good. Then I'll be resting for the rest of the night.

Spaghetti going down here too. I think I will save my yummy roasted tomatoes (now frozen) for winter and use Emeril's Kicked Up sauce with local grocery Italian sausage along with fresh peppers.

Last edited:
Spaghetti huh? hmmm, I could probably go for something with red gravy on it.
I am killing myself here for grabbing those three cheeseboigers when I was out earlier. Well, actually, the cheeseboigers are killing me here.

Don't do as I did. Found some frozen peppers labeled "hot", from 2009. Used about an ounce, chopped fine. Wore baggies on my hands, thank goodness. Fried up the sausage, added some hen of the woods mushrooms and the peppers, a jar of Emeril's, and tasted it. Am still looking for the top of my head, and I can't feel my lips. Two cans of Hunt's, half a carton of cottage cheese, and a partial package of cream cheese later, it may be semi edible! I might need to add some Maalox.

Someone mentioned never freeze hot peppers with the seeds in them. Words of wisdom!

Last edited:
Ha! Salvaged! My hot spaghetti sauce now becomes my spicy veg soup base! And DH had two helpings of spaghetti, with LOTS of pecorino romano...

Freezing the leftover sauce, hopefully it won't eat through the bag.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom