"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 07-19-2006, 08:05 PM   #1
Head Chef
To the Rachel Ray and Emeril bashers

I truly understand why some folks don't like people like Rachel Ray and Emeril. But you should also realize that these people have gotten a lot of people interested in cooking at home, rather than going through the drive through. If not for people like Bobby Flay, Rachel ray and Emeril I might not have even gotten interested in cooking enough to seek out this site. And how sad would that be?

vagriller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 09:32 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Pretty sad.

In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. Robert Frost
pdswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 10:15 PM   #3
Master Chef
i was cooking at 7, far before these t.v. personalities.
i believe that life would not be complete sans comfy 'ol tee-shirts, the Golden Girls, and the color pink
& rock on, PITTSBURGH-
luvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 10:25 PM   #4
Head Chef
I find their shows interesting and I have learned a thing or 2 from them. I like the short cuts that they have shown on several areas of cooking. Better then watching most of the junk on the boob tube. I have cooked a long time before I found their show but I still learned things from them. It's a happy cooking show.
thumpershere2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 11:00 PM   #5
The Dude Abides
Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
that is why FOOD TV is ENTERTAINMENT, I will stop at that...
TATTRAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 11:25 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
it is possible to be gracious, intelligent, forthcoming, and informative in a conversation. let's try to keep it there.

both of the aforementioned "talent" (the industry term for the guy/girl in front of the camera) have good and bad points, and not all of either can be attributed to the talent themselves.

both have been the darlings of the food tv cable channel, and because of the pervasive nature of television in most westerners lives, you really can't blame them for the fact that they're jammed in your face 24/7. that's the fault of cable tv corporation's bean counters, and crappy producers/directors/creative consultants.
what would you do if given the same chance to be a star chef?

to their credit, they have the certain somethin somethin that translates on tv to the viewer. maybe not every viewer, but enough to make money for the people who make it happen.
they sell products (the reason for their existence on tv), but they also teach, entertain, and inspire a loosely measured amount of people to both try out and maybe fulfill their culinary inquisitions. that can't be all bad.
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 09:49 AM   #7
Head Chef
Originally Posted by TATTRAT
that is why FOOD TV is ENTERTAINMENT, I will stop at that...
I realize that. I have often wondered what different things a restaurant chef would do as opposed to what I see on food network. Also, I am not trying to start a war with this, just speaking my mind.

I suppose if there were a TV show about computer professionals I would have something to critique with it!
vagriller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 10:47 AM   #8
Head Chef
Send a message via AIM to thier1754
I keep the food channel on fairly often almost as background...It keeps me mindful of the need to cook new things at home and is a good motivator. I have learned quite a bit about ingredients and some about technique. Sometimes I practice scales and the boring stuff with the food channel on and the volume down and pick up ideas that way. Hey, it works! The hands get their workout and then I can go and put together a new killer sandwich when I finish.

I am getting a popup search strip at the bottom of the screen every time I try to use an apostrophe. What is with that???
"I'm that fond o' my fiddle, I could sit in the inside o't, an' look oot."-- Peter Milne, famous Scot fiddler
thier1754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 11:11 AM   #9
Executive Chef
I enjoy some of the cooking programs, but one thing I find in almost all of them that is very annoying: some procedures, they seem to credit themselves with inventing it, or discovering it, when actually many of them have been used for years. As much as I learned from Julia, she never took credit for something she didn't do herself. When a guest presented new information to her, she always gave them their due. Many of the current cooks/chefs could learn a lot from her. I suppose Paula is one of the worst at what I mentioned with her "as I was formulating this recipe", usually one you can find in any basic cookbook, but with an added oversupply of butter, sour cream, cream cheese or mayo. I suppose it is time for me to watch something besides cooking programs as much as some of them are getting on my nerves.
Be an organ donor; give your heart to Jesus.
Exercise daily; walk with the Lord.
licia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 11:49 AM   #10
Senior Cook
I enjoy the cooking shows

Most of the shows I enjoy some of them I really do not like,
(semi-home made) I just do not like her can't think of her name
right now. She talks like we are either little tots or just plain stupid.
I like the idea of the show just not her or should I say the way she talks.

I too have been cooking forever, I taught myself at first, my Mom and Dad
both worked my sister and I took care of the house and the meals. She
hated cooking and I hated laundry. I cooked and cleaned she did the laundry
and cleaned.

Later I dated a chef at one of the upscale places here in KC. He taught me
the basics to being a very good cook. Lucky for me that relationship did
not work out. Have heard lots a negative things about him over the years.

I have learned many things off the shows and have tried many different
recipes from watching them.

I also like it when my kids enjoy watching the shows, better than
them watching sponge bob all the time.

is your glass half full or empty? my is half full
rickell is offline   Reply With Quote