Try anything new for Thanksgiving? Hit or Miss?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I made Katie's Marshmellow Pumpkin pie... I don't like pumpkin pie and I'm sorry to say I didn't like this either BUT, I made it for my son and he LIKED IT!!! And that's what counts. He took it home with him for leftover dinner tonight. Thanks Katie anything that makes David smile makes me smile.

Michelemarie posted a toffee recipe and I made that too... delish! Thanks!

I just did my normal carnivore dutys again with the turkey, ducks and rabbits. My GF however made some really good corn muffins with garlic, sun dried tomatoes and whole corn that went over really well. She also made an excellent coconut cake that just didn't get eaten. Go figure...

matchstick root vegetables

:chef: Recipe please?

This I don't have but I have helped make it so here goes

basically get an assortment of root veggies (carrots, parsnip, celery, sweet potato, turnip, onions... whatever really just get a variety for color.)

Cut the veggies into small sticks of even size probably not bigger than 1/4" (this part is the work... and usually involves some unskilled labor AKA me, dad, brother... whatever soul dares wander in the kitchen)

Toss in a mixing bowl with olive oil, s&p some herbs (this I am unsure of maybe Herbs De Provance... whatever taste you want I guess but not too strong... (left to my own devices I would probably use curry powder of something but that would cause a revolution on the homefront.)

Spread thin on a (lightly oiled? or non stick) baking sheet and in the oven (not sure temp I would think 350-375) until done... they should be just getting crispy on the outside but still pliable not approaching the chip category.

Place in dish and serve... I think you can warm these fairly successfully if made a bit in advance but are better if freshly out of the oven.

They are very pretty and colorful in a serving dish looking sort of confetti like and seem to be well received by the fussy eater crowd.... my brother who eats almost NOTHING likes them.

I think it is a TV recipe but I have no idea where it came from

I made Pumpkins with Wild Mushrooms Stuffing this year. I had the oven packed with squash, pumpkins, another stuffing and, at the end, bread rolls. Everything came out at the same time and dinner was steaming hot =). I made the pumpkins with chantrelle, cremini and shitake mushrooms and a pumpkin ale. It was really good and a huge hit. It's a lot of work, but definitely a once a year treat =)

JoeV, I am so thrilled that you like the challah recipe. You really are getting a lot of mileage out of it. Now, you can see why it was my father's favorite. George Greenstein's bread book is fantastic!

What is banoffee pie Toots? Anything "pie" sounds good to me :)

Banoffee pie is a concoction of toffee, bananas, heavy whipped cream all in a graham cracker crust. I made it the "dangerous" way by boiling 2 unopened cans of Eagle Brand in a hot water bath for 3 hours to get my toffee.

Just google it, you'll find plenty of recipes and photos.

That sounds amazingly delicious!!!

It is dangerous in more ways than one. I will not make one unless I have a family event or party to go to, because I could eat the whole darn thing.

I first had it over in Scotland this past summer - it was love at first bite. :chef:

First Thanksgiving Meal

Made my first Turkey this year, did Alton Brown's 'Brine and cook' method, miscalculated and did a 16 hour brine. It smoked at 25 minutes so i pulled it, browning looked good so i dropped the Temp to 350, applied the Turkey Triangle and waited for 161.

Pulled and rested it carved up a little pink on the dark meat, but with clear juices. At friends urging I foil wrapped it and set it back in the 350 oven while I called a "emergency Turkey Line" they said the pink was probably from the brine, and it had been in for about 45 minutes more by that time, so i pulled it and re-rested. person said it needed to stay in there for "a few more hours" but no pink meat and no complaints, some of the best turkey I've ever had and my leftover sandwiches the next day were fantastic!

Bit of a miss on my sweet potato pie. I don't have a stand mixer, or any other power tools and I left my masher at home, so I mashed with an inverted cup. My mashed sweet potatoes were a big hit, as was the mashed celery root, but the pie has a mix of a texure issue. I picked up a stick blender and some Pumpkin Butter, Pumpkin Spice Mix and Pumpkin Spice Creamer and I'm gonna try one more time.

Biggest success was roast carrots. Washed, peeled, sliced on a bias and tossed with a mix of olive oil, orange blossom honey and a pinch of salt, roasted with a sprig of rosemary on a bakeing sheet at 400 for 30 minutes.

we went to my parent's house for toikey day, so we didn't cook. my eldest sister went to their house the night before and helped my mom prepare everything.
we did bake a few apple pies, which came out very good.
(gw, i finally got dw's recipe roughly measured and written down. i'll post it and pm it to you as soon as i can.)

my sister made a coupla new dishes that were delicious. well, new to me, anyway.
she made stringbeans, blanched, then simply tossed with evoo, savory, and s&p. the 5 simple ingredients really compliment each other well.

also, she made another simple but delicious one. crock pot kielbasi in sweet sauce. the kielbasi was boiled, then sliced and served in warmed duck sauce in the crock. sweet and salty, yum.

I made a bacon cheese dip out of BH&G or Southern Living (don't remember which) and it was a big hit. Even those who don't eat bleu cheese loved it. Of course, I didn't tell them it had bleu cheese in it. :ROFLMAO:

HIT!!!!! I did Alton Brown's brined turkey this year with the help of Andy M - it was a HUGE hit - this was the most beautiful and best tasting turkey any of us had ever had - this will now be the tradition!

Yeeeup, me too. I've brined chicken and pork in the past, but never took on a 18 lb. chunk o' protein. It was really easy, tasty, moist, and everybody wanted to know how I did it. HOLLA!

didn't have guests for thanksgiving this year, i was the guest. i did take some dishes per gd wishes. but not new. what was new for me were the turkeys, yep turkeys. there was a deep fried, a smoked, and a reg. roasted turkey. i couldn't see much difference in reg. and fried. both was moist and tasty. the smoked one had to much salt, he brined it. i think he needs less salt. it did taste like the wood he used, not sure what that was. i was told but have forgotten. it was a wonderful meal and my granddaughter did a bang up job. lots, and lots of food and guests.

We had a large group for dinner, and people brought food...our vegetarians brought a tofu "turkey breast." Word was that the tofu thingie was God's first attempt at creating a turkey, and He quickly decided that turkeys would descend from the animal kingdom rather than the vegetable kingdom. Even the vegetarians wept at the sad fate of innocent soy beans.

I did my first try at brining and smoking a turkey. Everyone loved it! Thank you all that helped me.

Back
Top Bottom