Tuesday 12/6/2016 What's cooking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Our local grocery store had really nice looking pork shoulder roasts on sale for .99/lb, so I bought 4. :) One to slow roast tomorrow and 3 for the freezer.

This evening's dinner will be roasted chicken thighs sprinkled with Penzeys BBQ3000, garlic powder, and onion powder. Romaine salad with lots of crunchy veggies and topped with Marie's ranch dressing for a side.

I was thawing some of my lasagna, but DH brought home some Hunan pork from a local grocery store food court. It was swill. The fried rice was semi-edible after a good dose of low sodium soy sauce.

I made beef stroganoff with homemade parsley egg noodles and mixed veggies. Mom had peaches, Dad a tossed salad. Gingerbread sticks for dessert (excellent recipe from ATK). I used the FP for the noodles, mixed the parsley in with the dough, and rolled them out by hand. They were so tender. I made the stroganoff in the pressure cooker. I am really liking using the pressure cooker...

I made the stroganoff in the pressure cooker. I am really liking using the pressure cooker...
Can you share the instructions, please? I have an InstantPot under wraps for our daughter for Christmas (working mom that struggles to make dinner after work), and want to have some recipes ready for her.

Tonight's dinner was burgers on the grill, oven fries.

I roasted a pork tenderloin and made macaroni and cheese. I was going to have salads with it but time got away from me and I didn't get the veggies chopped for the salads. Oh well. We had enough to eat without them.

My master gardener group had our Christmas dinner party tonight at a local Italian restaurant, so we ate there. On the menu was salad, garlic knots, lasagna, penne with Alfredo and broccoli and a few types of pizza. For dessert, members who wanted to baked cookies and we had a cookie buffet. Extras were available for a cookie swap. It was delicious and worked out really well.

Can you share the instructions, please? I have an InstantPot under wraps for our daughter for Christmas (working mom that struggles to make dinner after work), and want to have some recipes ready for her.

Tonight's dinner was burgers on the grill, oven fries.

Quite simple:

Approx 1-1/2 lb round steak, cut into 1" cubes
seasoned flour for dredging (dry mustard, salt, pepper, a wee bit of allspice, a wee bit of ground cloves, about 1/2 tsp garlic powder and 1/2 tsp marjoram)
2 T seasoned flour for thickening
2 T bacon fat
1 smallish yellow onion (about the size of a tangerine)
2 T sherry or red wine
3 ice cubes of beef stock (1/2 c beef stock)
1 T red wine vinegar
2-3 tsp anchovy paste (or not)
1/2 c sour cream
2 T tomato paste
4-6 oz mushrooms
Zest of one lemon
Juice of 1/2 fresh lemon
Fresh parsley, minced

Directions (for an ancient Presto pressure cooker)

1. Heat pressure cooker. Add bacon fat.
2. Dredge beef cubes.
3. Add onion and mushrooms. Cook until onion is limp.
4. Add stock, anchovy paste, and red wine vinegar.

Put lid and regulator on. Set timer for 5 minutes. Heat on high until regulator is at 15. Lower heat to medium/medium low (whatever temp is needed to keep the regulator in the middle).

Remove from heat, cool in sink while running cold water on the side of the pressure cooker. Once the pressure is off, remove regulator and lid.

Add wine. Mix sour cream, 2 T flour, and tomato paste. Add to Stroganoff. Heat on medium (do not let it come to a boil, the sour cream will separate). Adjust seasonings (salt and pepper).

Serve over homemade egg noodles (or whatever) and sprinkle with fresh parsley, a bit of fresh lemon zest, and a squeeze of lemon juice.

3-4 servings.

For a digital pressure cooker, the pressure should be at 15, and the cool down should be "immediate" (not sure the setting, my digital one is at home, I am using a pressure cooker that is at least 60 yrs. old). I am sure that a person can take the ingredients, instructions and adapt them for a InstaPot.

FWIW, my Dad, who doesn't like to try anything that is made differently from the recipe he has, cleaned his plate and went back for 2nds. My Mom, who has a limited appetite because of her dementia and is also a fussy eater, cleaned her plate (not an easy feat for her because of the stroke--but she fed herself and asked for more noodles, which she also ate).

Last edited:
I went to a local deli tonight and asked the guy behind the counter if they had any specials.

The guy is a fairly recent immigrant from Mexico who is always friendly and cheerful. It's always a pleasant experience when he waits on you.

He made a snarl on his face, and in a growly, heavily accented voice said, "Tacos, mang. Rotten, stinky, tasty tacos."

Then he broke out laughing and confirmed that he was making tacos, and explained that he has been watching a lot of old, black and white American westerns, and he was just playing his part.

So, I had tacos. Rotten, stinky, DELICIOUS tacos, mang.

We had garden salads, smothered chicken, and Niblets corn. I think I make the chicken this way just to cover copious amounts of mushrooms (and some peppers and onions) with gooey, melty cheese. :yum:

Attachments

• 2016-12-06 20.36.24.jpg
    2016-12-06 20.36.24.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 159
CG, LOL, at first glance of your picture, I thought you had some kind of weird creature on your plate. Had to look twice. Smothered chicken is always good, although we make ours a bit differently.

We had Craig's roast Cuban pork with black beans and rice, maduros (ripe plantains) and Cuban-style bread (sliced horizontally, slathered in butter, smooshed, wrapped in foil and heated through until crispy on outside and warm gooey buttery on inside. Definitely not a low carb or calorie meal. I didn't get the flan made, forgot to make it yesterday so it wouldn't have had time to cool and for the caramelized sugar to de-solidify.

Back
Top Bottom