What a wonderful weekend!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

70chevelle

Cook
My wife went out of town on a 'girls' weekend and left me and my 2 daughters, 10 & 14, to our own devices! They both had plans Friday nite, so I got the evening to myself, until they returned at around 10:00 pm. Saturday was great. My youngest is the breakfast chef. I started making french toast with her about 2 years ago, and she's taken it up on her own and given the recipe her own touch. Although Saturday, she wanted to make pancakes. We were having sushi for an early dinner, so I was sharpening my knives to ensure they were prepared for duty, and my 10 year old was on her own with the pancakes. I yelled out a few answers to her questions as she was measuring and mixing, and then I stopped my task to get her the proper pan and explain what had to happen next. I chose my 12" cast iron skillet. She fired up the burner and added some butter. I had her put a drop of batter in the pan to see if it was hot enough, and then I went back to sharpening. She cooked up some fantastic pancakes for breakfast. We had some running to do on Saturday, and by the time we got home, it was time to start prepping dinner. My 14 year old wanted fried rice with it and asked if we could get it from a local chinese restaurant. I told her, 'that's fine, as long as you're buying!" She said, "we'll just make it then". So, my daughter got some sticky rice and regular rice going on the stove, while I cut up some onion and carrots for the fried rice. I also julieanned some red peppers, carrots, and cucumbers for the sushi rolls. I had a nice tuna steak to use for the sushi. I cheat and cook it, just until there is a slight white ring around the outside. The middle is just warm. (Sorry!:innocent:) I lit my sear grill outside and cooked the tuna and let it rest. Right before the regular rice was done cooking we put some baby peas, carrots and onion in, took it off the heat and let it sit covered. Then I took out my Fujiwara sujihiki and sliced up the tuna. Once the sticky rice was done, we started on the fried rice while everything was cooling. My daughter put some sesame oil in the 12" cast iron skillet that was still out from breakfast (cleaned!) and heated it up. Then I took the pot of regular rice and put it in the skillet, while my daughter stirred it around. Once that was done, I stirred while she seasoned with soy & rice wine vinegar. Once that was in, she took over and finished the dish. We put the fried rice in a bowl and set our sites on making the rolls. My daughter made them up, and I sliced them. (I got the good job!) It was a virtual feast, and the 3 of us enjoyed it all thoroughly. What a great feeling when your kids show you that their paying attention and you didn't even ask!

Back
Top Bottom