What are you baking today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And I thought our kitchen was cramped for work space...
5 or so good sized loaves - wish my oven was that deep.
Looks like they are using grape vine prunings for fuel.
Betchya the old babe would make a wicked shuffle board player.
Looks like she may be applying some corn starch water solution at the end of the baking.
Too bad they seem to have edited out some of the process.

PB cookies with white chocolate chips and maybe some kind of nut.
kades also thinking about some bread.

Cheaper AND healthier huh? Well, good luck with that Aunt Bea! if you find something, you'll just have to post here and share with us - right?

I'm looking to make homemade crackers soon, but the store-bought ones got me beat, with all the seeds and grains and rosemary extract etc - so tasty and crispy light.....expensive though!

Last edited:
I so seldom bake that in all the time I've been here, I don't think I've ever posted on this thread. :rolleyes:

I love pecan pie but every recipe I've ever seen has corn syrup, and that's something I'd just never use.
The other day I ran across a recipe called "Spirited Brown Sugar Pecan Pie" so I thought I'd give it a go. The "spirit" is a tablespoon of spiced rum along with 4 eggs, 2 cups brown sugar, 1/4 cup butter, 1/4 tsp cinnamon and two cups of pecan halves. The recipe said it has a richer, denser texture than most pecan pies because it calls for brown sugar instead of corn syrup.

I can't wait for it to cool. :chef:

img_1135549_0_3bf76ad1167effe4ef24c2517e7d52a2.jpg

I so seldom bake that in all the time I've been here, I don't think I've ever posted on this thread. :rolleyes:

I love pecan pie but every recipe I've ever seen has corn syrup, and that's something I'd just never use.
The other day I ran across a recipe called "Spirited Brown Sugar Pecan Pie" so I thought I'd give it a go. The "spirit" is a tablespoon of spiced rum along with 4 eggs, 2 cups brown sugar, 1/4 cup butter, 1/4 tsp cinnamon and two cups of pecan halves. The recipe said it has a richer, denser texture than most pecan pies because it calls for brown sugar instead of corn syrup.

img_1135551_0_3bf76ad1167effe4ef24c2517e7d52a2.jpg

Oh my!

You could always whip the cream while you are waiting for it to cool a little! :pig::pig::pig:

Bake black and white brownies for the kids tomorrow. Also baked some of those wonderful gold beets, they are like sugar no dirt taste at all. Put together a casserrol of baked eggplant,buttermilk,moz cheese,butter and some cheddar. for tomorrow as well. wish me luck everything was a first.
kades

Last edited:

img_1135718_0_3bf76ad1167effe4ef24c2517e7d52a2.jpg
Oh, Kayelle - that is just beeoo-tiful! Is it as good as it looks?

Thanks for the nice compliments everyone! Yep, it was scrumptious! I wrapped individual slices for the freezer to prevent us from making :pig:'s of ourselves.

I'll post the recipe under pies PF. ;)

Thanks for the nice compliments everyone! Yep, it was scrumptious! I wrapped individual slices for the freezer to prevent us from making :pig:'s of ourselves.

I'll post the recipe under pies PF. ;)

Thank you!!!! You know I will likely convert it to the pie maker!:LOL:

I'm planning to bake these for the upteenth time - They're insanely good:
NOTE: There's a typo in the recipe - it should be 1 1/4 cups flour, NOT 1/4 cup:
CHOCOLATE ESPRESSO CHEWS
A Monster of a Cookie
PH2006071301541.jpg

Your bread looks wonderful. Thanks for sharing. Now did you put up a recipe? I'd love to try making one..

Kades
3 LBS OF RYE BREAD:
Add 1 Tbs of dried yeast and 1 Tbs of coarse salt to 3 cups of water.
Add 1 cup rye flour, 2 cups first clear flour, 1 cup AP flour, 1 cup high gluten (e.g. King Arthur's Lancelot), 1 cup bread flour and 1/2 cup Durum flour to a six quart bowl.
Mix the flours together and add 1 to 2 Tbs Caraway seeds (optional).
Use a heavy wood spoon to incorporate the 3 cups of water.
Cover and allow dough to rise to more than double for 3 to 6 hours depending on room temperature.
Degass the dough and refrigerate for at least 16 hours.
For a 1 1/2 pound loaf-
Preheat oven to 425*F
Remove dough from refrigerator, sprinkle lightly with bread flour.
Punch down and remove half of dough.
Press down and spread out the dough remaining in the bowl and return to refrigerator.
Knead BRIEFLY, shape into a ball and elongate ball into a long oval football shape.
Place football on a cornmeal covered wood peel.
Slash the loaf along the top of it's long axis to prevent oven blowout and promote oven spring.
Generously paint the loaf with a mixture of 2 tsp corn starch, and 1/2 tsp baking soda dissolved in 3 or 4 Tbs of water.
Slide the still 'cold' loaf off of the peel onto a preheated baking stone.
(In an oven preheated to 425*F the baking stone should be at least 450*F).
Bake 40 minutes.
After 35 minutes of the 40 minute leg rotate the loaf from front to back 180 degrees.
Turn oven down to 400*F
Bake 15 more minutes then turn oven temp down to 375*F.
Bake an additional 15 minutes.
Finished loaf should be moist but fully cooked on the inside and dark brown and crisp on the outside.
The edges of the bottom of the loaf should be rounded upwards; if not the yeast was killed too quickly (oven too hot or dough not cold enough) to permit good oven spring.
Due to differences in ovens, the above baking times may need to be adjusted to produce a loaf to your liking; but in no case should the loaf be moved during the first 30 minutes of baking.
Cool the loaf on a wire rack for at least 45 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom