What are your thanksgiving meals?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Everyones menu sounds wonderful. I will not repeat mine, there is usually always a variation of the same theme on the Thanksgiving Table, and it is always good. I will be at my daughter's furture inlaws so there will be no left overs (leftover turkey is the only food I eat leftover) so I will be roasting a turkey breast after the holiday.

We'll be having Thanksgiving dinner at Mom and Dad's house as usual. I absolutely love it. Easter is usually at my sisters house and I usually host Christmas brunch. Christmas Eve is also at our parents house and it's a blast! I'm not sure about the whole menu, but I'm responsible for the meats.
1 Smoked Turkey, (on my elcheapo Brinkman smoker)
1 Fried Turkey, (injected with the commercial Cajun marinade that came with the injector kit).
3 Ducks, (1 orange glazed, 1 cherry glazed and 1 asian glazed).
2 Rabbits Fried, (all the kids say it tastes like chicken).
My Mom and sisters make the sides and deserts and my brother will just show up, eat and fall asleep on the couch, watching football!!
John.

Hi Amber...........here's the Scalloped Corn Recipe I made tonight for hubby and will be making for Thanksgiving since he really enjoyed it. I didn't get the top as brown as he likes it though but will next time.

1 can of creamed style corn (2 cups)
1/2 cup crackers or bread crumbs..........I used crackers and just threw them into the food processor and made crumbs.....used 12.
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup milk
1 egg, slightly beaten
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
1 tbsp. butter or margarine....I used 2 tbsp.

***Recipe said you could also include 1/4 c. green pepper if you have it but mom never included this when she made it for my husband.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Break the egg into a mixing bowl and beat slightly. All all the remaining ingredients to the bowl except for the butter. Stir to blend all the ingredients together and then pour it into the baking dish. Dot with bits of butter on top. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.

Note: After 30 minutes I turned the dial to broil and left it in there another 10 minutes..........or until the top is as brown as you like.

Makes: 4 Servings...........just double or triple the recipe if needed.

Enjoy!

Our meal will consist of:

23# turkey
regular dressing
oyster dressing
candied yams
whooptidoo macaroni and cheese
broccoli casserole
mashed potatoes
small pan of dauphinois 8)
squash casserole
creamed corn
fresh green beans (canned this summer)
acini di pepi fruit salad
some sort of cranberry relish or chutney
Brussels sprouts with pancetta
Kahlua pecan pie
pumpkin pie
some sort of chocolate ooey gooey dessert

and one other thing that is plain and simple - just can't make up my mind yet.

Bang, why do you insist on critizing one of my favorite cultural foods! Just say you aren't going and be done with it.

It is not nice, and I know you are very nice! :)

heya ducky,
i'm looking for the recipe for the onions in cream sauce. it is really easy, and delicious. will post under veggies thread when i find it, if that's ok. the admins seem to be trying to keep things neat.

thanks crewsk. i forgot that i had marmalady's recipe, which sounds much better than mine, stashed away somewhere to make for thanksgiving. the last few years, i didn't have time to make it from scratch, so i just bought the frozen stuff.

choclatechef said:
Bang, why do you insist on critizing one of my favorite cultural foods! Just say you aren't going and be done with it.

It is not nice, and I know you are very nice! :)

She is coming here this year so its not a problem. Soulfood is my all time favorite and I eat it often but I just can't develop a liking for chitlins. However I do like Tripe.

Deep Fried Turkey
Small ham
Mashed potatos
Stuffing/Gravy
Green bean casserole
Sweet corn Frozen from this summer
Cottage cheese w/ fruit
Carmel apple salad
deviled eggs and pickles
stuffed celery and stuffed olives
Apple Pie
Pumpkin Pie
Ice cream sandwich cake

Wow............I wanna know how you manage to move after all that!!!! I love the idea of Thanksgiving, Christmas is the biggie here, and most peoples Turkey Day, although we don't much like turkey in our household.

Okay. The menu is finally done.

The day’s fare will begin likely with a puff pastry Tourte Milanese with lots of spinach and ham, along with assorted fruits, Applesauce Muffins and Blueberry Muffins and lots of jellies and jams put up this year.. There will also be a large pitcher of POG (a breakfast drink of pineapple, orange and guava juices that I fell in love with in Maui) standing by and icy cold.

The Dinner itself, targeted for about two o’clock in the afternoon, will include:

Warm Wild Rice Salad with Blue Cheese and Fruit (served in bread rings ala KitchenElf!!!)

Classic Icebox Rolls (probably made into Butterhorns)

Overnight brined fresh turkey roasted over a mirepoix
A dark, rich gravy made using some of the mirepoix

Italian-Style Sourdough Dressing with Parmesan, Sage and Walnuts (husband’s favorite)
Plain Cornbread Dressing (sons’ favorite)
Oyster-Cornbread Dressing (my favorite, and I may not share…)

Homemade cranberry jelly and chunky cranberry-orange sauce

The requisite tray of my various pickles made this year…pickled asparagus, pickled mushrooms, pickled okra, pickled cauliflower, pickled baby onions, along with green and black pitted olives

Elf’s Gratin Dauphinois

Onions stuffed with potato, shiitakes, basil and parsley and baked in white wine

Roasted Brussels sprouts tossed with balsamic vinegar-glazed red onions and toasted walnut bits

As healthy and fancy as I can make it Green Bean Casserole (for the husband)

Steamed asparagus with fresh lemons

Baby Carrots braised in apple cider and rosemary

For dessert, a light fresh orange sorbet, served in martini glasses and drizzled with raspberry puree, and decorated with a fresh sprig of mint and an orange section.

For later that evening when the neighborhood Village gathers en masse for desserts, I plan on making my Death by Ganache genoise layer, coated with Godiva liqueur, split and filled with chocolate-walnut mousse, and coated with a silky thick layer of dark chocolate ganache. I’ll plate it on a large, round crystal platter drizzled with white chocolate (I love squeeze bottles!) and surround the cake with bourbon-soaked chocolate-covered long-stem cherries that are interspersed with mint leaves and raspberries, with a couple more covered cherries, raspberries and mint leaves used to decorate the very top of the cake, as well.

Then the sons and husband will clean the kitchen. Meanwhile, I’ll clean the carcass and save the bones (or they’ll go in the trash – ach!!!) with a neat wee dram (or two) of Balvenie Port Wood.

And soon take a nap. ;)

drool02.gif

Can I come over? Pleeeeeeeeeeease?????????

Back
Top Bottom