"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
View Poll Results: What does your family like to have for Christmas dinner?
Ham 7 24.14%
Roast Beef 5 17.24%
Turkey 7 24.14%
Pork roast 3 10.34%
Other ie Lamb 7 24.14%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-03-2006, 07:15 PM   #31
Master Chef

Yes, there is. A very close NY Italian friend of mine wouldn't think of celebrating Christmas Eve without about a gazillion seafood dishes - everything you could possibly think of.

In fact, we were visiting one Xmas Eve afternoon when his brother showed up with about 6 huge plastic bags full of all kinds of fish for the evening meal (we were all NY Long Islanders on the water). Amazing!!

When we first moved to Virginia in 1994, in the Winchester area, the local supermarket used to carry all sorts of extra different fresh fish for the Xmas holiday - fresh sardines, fresh conch, scungilli, calimari - you name it. It was quite surprising for the area, & I LOVED it, even though I'm not Italian. We don't get that kind of variety down here in Culpeper.

Old 12-03-2006, 07:30 PM   #32
Executive Chef

I'm still undecided what we will have. Last year we had a tenderloin of beef, but my son and his family will be with us this year and his kids don't like beef. I suppose we will have ham or pork loin. I may get a small rib roast and a ham and make veggies and sides that will go with both. I don't have all my Christmas shopping done either so I'd better get on the stick.

Old 12-04-2006, 06:05 AM   #33
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
Vera, isn't there something about the "seven fishes" for an Italian Christmas Eve dinner? Seems like I saw Mario doing something about that.
At our house, it's ham. My mom always did a boneless ham, but I like those big monster bone-in hams. There's nothing like the taste of the meat from a whole ham...so succulent and juicy.
I always make mom's twice baked potatoes and bake a couple of pies. The rest of the menu is flexible.

Good morning Constance

Yes, a traditional italian christmas eve meal is called the Feast of the Seven Fishes. When I was younger and my aunts were cooking as well as my mother, it was easire to hit the seven. Nowadays, the group around the table is a bit smaller and it's even harder to hit the seven. I'm planning on clams, shrimp, mussels, flounder and crab at this point.

Pasta with clams
Shrimp scampi
stuffed mussels
breaded and fried flounder
crab bisque
Old 12-04-2006, 07:21 AM   #34
Master Chef

I'm not saying that is what I want, but my family (i.e., parents, sisters, cousins, etc, I don't have children myself) want exactly the same meal they had at Thanksgiving! One year I tried to vary it by having a goose instead of a turkey, and Mom insisted on cooking a turkey as well. I no longer live near my family, and can cook what I wish. I'm not sure what that will be this year. It's quite confusing because I have no idea who will be here. Usually a freind cooks Christmas dinner (I do Thanksgiving). But I'm half-expecting a half-dozen guests, so relieved her of the duty. But my family? Turkey, every time.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:04 AM   #35
Head Chef

I guess we decided on a ham dinner with mashed potatoes with a milk gravy (yum) best part. I'm leaning toward a brocoli/culiflower salad and scalloped corn, squash and cranberries, rolls, cottage cheese with pineapple bits. pumpkin roll for desert later in the evening tho. There will only be the 2 of us plus our critters so I guess we have plenty to eat. But it is still fun to cook a big meal.Christmas eve I would like to do egg rolls, and fondue a few things like meat balls, french bread cubes, venison steak cubed, and also a veggie tray. I also make the little smokies wraped in bacon. The critters really enjoy those. After all that we don't eat for a week.